BBQ Carnivore - Thread

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Low and slow isn't that hard.
Heaps of YouTube videos to help you get started.
I'm happy to help also
I'd you want to try it out let me know what you want to cook and I'll guide you through it.

Once you get started, you will find it addictive
Thanks mate. In the next couple of weekends I'll give it a go and hit you up for some advice. Probably best to start off small with something like chicken breasts and gradually move onto the larger cuts of meat you reckon?

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks mate. In the next couple of weekends I'll give it a go and hit you up for some advice. Probably best to start off small with something like chicken breasts and gradually move onto the larger cuts of meat you reckon?
Start with lamb shoulder or pork ribs. Very hard to fuck it up. There's a few of us on here that bbq a fair bit if you need pointers.

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boys, we need to talk about gravy.

Who's on it?

Best for pork and beef leftovers...

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Start with lamb shoulder or pork ribs. Very hard to fuck it up. There's a few of us on here that bbq a fair bit if you need pointers.
Fck yeah - pork - shoulder or ribs. Ribs are a no brainer - have 4 racks on at the moment and have used them as an excuse for the missus to go do shit like walk dogs etc. as I need to keep watching smoker temp. Apart from removing membrane, mustard binder and 3 pigs rub - done fck all today except drink beer and wrap the ribs after 2 hours.

Just made bbq sauce baste - another 30 mins or so wrapped and then on with the baste for another hour.

Smoked lamb is great but the lamb soaks smoke like no tomorrow. Some don't like it. Pork shoulder - if your a fanatic for crackling - whether to crackle first or last is a time old question. Pork ribs or whole chooks are almost idiot proof (and if you brine the chook first - you will wonder why you ever bought store roasted chicken again).

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fck yeah - pork - shoulder or ribs. Ribs are a no brainer - have 4 racks on at the moment and have used them as an excuse for the missus to go do shit like walk dogs etc. as I need to keep watching smoker temp. Apart from removing membrane, mustard binder and 3 pigs rub - done fck all today except drink beer and wrap the ribs after 2 hours.

Just made bbq sauce baste - another 30 mins or so wrapped and then on with the baste for another hour.

Smoked lamb is great but the lamb soaks smoke like no tomorrow. Some don't like it. Pork shoulder - if your a fanatic for crackling - whether to crackle first or last is a time old question. Pork ribs or whole chooks are almost idiot proof (and if you brine the chook first - you will wonder why you ever bought store roasted chicken again).
You're not wrong about the lamb soaking smoke. Takes on a tonne of flavour but haven't found someone who doesn't like it yet

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
You're not wrong about the lamb soaking smoke. Takes on a tonne of flavour but haven't found someone who doesn't like it yet
U haven't met my missus then. Lucky man.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Get a Weber Smokey Mountain dude.

Nope. Leaks like a sieve and u overpay for the Weber brand (but admit the service if you buy from Weber direct is fckng amazing). By the time you u buy gaskets etc to sort out the leaking and the other guff to make life easier (like hinges etc.) - you are over a grand.

Does a job but for a grand - u can do better.

@ASSASSIN - whats the definition of cheap and how many people u mostly cooking for?

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nope. Leaks like a sieve and u overpay for the Weber brand (but admit the service if you buy from Weber direct is fckng amazing). By the time you u buy gaskets etc to sort out the leaking and the other guff to make life easier (like hinges etc.) - you are over a grand.

Does a job but for a grand - u can do better.

@ASSASSIN - whats the definition of cheap and how many people u mostly cooking for?
That's not my experience. First smoker was a 37 for under $400, after half a dozen cooks, any leaks were sealed.

You get what you pay for, obviously. But if @ASSASSIN budget isn't a grand then his choices are limited

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
That's not my experience. First smoker was a 37 for under $400, after half a dozen cooks, any leaks were sealed.

You get what you pay for, obviously. But if @ASSASSIN budget isn't a grand then his choices are limited
Fair play - 37 is a bit small for me but if it works. Never owned one (and have a Genesis and a kettle as well so no shit on Weber) but that was the general webview. Was given one, bought gaskets etc for it and then went to put it together and was broken as fck. Got a refund so spent the money on a OK Joe barrel for an extra $150. Hinged, wheeled, can hang food in it. Cast iron and overall - stoked.

Just gets down to how many u cook for.