Opinion Barrett

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, all I was doing is giving credit to Barrett for the player he signed up.
Not saying he’s the best coach.
Na it's all good my brother. I think he is a better manager than a coach.

He wants to be the players mates, not their mentor.

Birddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m not 100% but Burton could’ve walked in to any club.
Roosters always have money.
He could've, but in order for that to occur
The club would need a player for the position he wanted and not have a little star of their own on the up.
Roosters would never have signed Burton as they have Walker and Keary.
The club would have to have the $$ to offer.
And while there may have been some interest it was us who had the $ and the position with no up and comers to consider.

Barret may have had some Influence but by no means did we sign these players solely because Barrett is coach. And that is 100% given.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know about exact timing but Gus would of been a bigger factor than a dud coach.

I know Burton was signed before Gus, not sure about the other players timing.
From memory, Burton and JAC were before Gus. Dufty and Vaughan not sure... pretty sure TPJ and Asiata were after along with Burns, Cook, Kikau, Mahoney.

Baz's previous relationship certainly helped getting Burton over. I doubt it had any negatives impact on JAC signing. Dufty and Vaughan probably didnt care who the coach was/is, but maybe thats also the reason they wanted 1 year deals.

Asiata realised he just had to pretend he wasnt jabbed to avoid playing under Barrett and Burns and Cook were looking for first grade opportunities.

TPJ didnt even think a coach existed and probably still doesnt!

Kikau and Reed have probably signed coz Gus secretly promised them a new coach in '23...

Haha

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dont think theres much pressure on Burton.
We saw in the trial that he can fulfill his duties and he hit the ground running. Alittle more assertiveness wouldnt go astray.

Its the rest of the team and indeed the forward pack that needs to lift their game and cross the white line with some footy brains.

If we play smart we will be ok. If we play dumb, it doesnt matter what Burton does or doesnt do.
I think there’s massive pressure on Burton from outside the club and it will only increase if he gets off to a slow start.

The club has done him no favours with the halfback and hooker surrounding him. You say it doesn’t matter what Burton does if we play dumb but he will wear the flack for the that even though it isn’t fair.

Best case scenario is Bruton thrives even with the pressure and obstacles he has in front of him. Whatever happens I just hope there’s no long term damage too him by placing too much on his shoulders too early.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unless the defence gets fixed there is little chance of improved ressults - might score more points than last year but still lose.

The Cronulla trial - first 20 minutes were ok - Thomson n Vaughn were good - intensity dropped noticeably after the first interchanges and series of errors - seemed the team for round one was already confirmed - the thoughts of why risk injury would be in the back of the mind of a few players. Even Burton sat out/ waited around on the left edge for most of second half.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there’s massive pressure on Burton from outside the club and it will only increase if he gets off to a slow start.

The club has done him no favours with the halfback and hooker surrounding him. You say it doesn’t matter what Burton does if we play dumb but he will wear the flack for the that even though it isn’t fair.

Best case scenario is Bruton thrives even with the pressure and obstacles he has in front of him. Whatever happens I just hope there’s no long term damage too him by placing too much on his shoulders too early.
Burton did well in the sharks trial, we lost badly but everyone knows it was due to dumb play and i dont believe ive heard of any pressure on Burton coming out of it.

From what i can tell, the pressure is on Barrett. Going forward, if results dont turn, pressure will be on Gould to sack Barrett and that pressure will likely continue all season while Barrett is still at the helm.

The way to relieve it, is to win our fair share of games (i think 1 of first 2 as a minimum and 3 from first 8), or we find a halfback within our roster, or Gus signs an established and well regarded halfback.

The only pressure Burton should feel is that the #6 on his back is not a ticket to not be the dominant half.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Burton did well in the sharks trial, we lost badly but everyone knows it was due to dumb play and i dont believe ive heard of any pressure on Burton coming out of it.

From what i can tell, the pressure is on Barrett. Going forward, if results dont turn, pressure will be on Gould to sack Barrett and that pressure will likely continue all season while Barrett is still at the helm.

The way to relieve it, is to win our fair share of games (i think 1 of first 2 as a minimum and 3 from first 8), or we find a halfback within our roster, or Gus signs an established and well regarded halfback.

The only pressure Burton should feel is that the #6 on his back is not a ticket to not be the dominant half.
You didn't hear anything about Burton being under pressure because it was a meaningless trial that will be forgotten about this time next week.

Burton will be under the blow torch from the media if we struggle early and Tbaz has a habit of throwing halves under the bus by not adjusting anything once it goes pear shaped. Its a situation that will have be carefully managed if it goes wrong.

Of course winning games is the obvious answer but its no sure thing that will happen.

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Unless the defence gets fixed there is little chance of improved ressults - might score more points than last year but still lose.

The Cronulla trial - first 20 minutes were ok - Thomson n Vaughn were good - intensity dropped noticeably after the first interchanges and series of errors - seemed the team for round one was already confirmed - the thoughts of why risk injury would be in the back of the mind of a few players. Even Burton sat out/ waited around on the left edge for most of second half.
Burton played most of the game in a tuxedo ….even the commentator thought he got replaced as he wasn’t anywhere near the action

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You didn't hear anything about Burton being under pressure because it was a meaningless trial that will be forgotten about this time next week.

Burton will be under the blow torch from the media if we struggle early and Tbaz has a habit of throwing halves under the bus by not adjusting anything once it goes pear shaped. Its a situation that will have be carefully managed if it goes wrong.

Of course winning games is the obvious answer but its no sure thing that will happen.
Johm morris would never. I hope we go 0-8 so baz can go, bring in a coach with past success.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Burton isnt leaving, the only reason i see him leaving is for a team with a better hooker and a shitter 6. Mahoney is coming in 2023 so is his mate backrow of the year kikau. The coach had nothing to do with it, im scared the sharkies might get him only because trindall and moylan both are average as but then he plays of brailey which is slightly worse than mahoney. Dolphins wont get him, they spending all their shit on ponga, plus would burton want to play off ray stone. Hell no. Only reason he leaves is if we cant pay him, or the sharks….

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cronk was a better "Halfback" than Thurston
Halfback perhaps, but nowhere near his level as a player and the least likely of Smith, Cronk, Thurston, Slater to become an immortal.

Mal_Z

Waterboy
Reaction score
We need to identify which of our half can do the best job of kicking us out of our half, having decent organisation skills, and giving Burton good ball. I believe that is Wakeham.

Also we need either JMK to step it up, or Cook to take over for the year, a large complaint around our 7 is set ends but our 7 needs sharp passes to get the ball away quicker. Alot during trials JMK through floaters that took far to long to get to Averillo resulting in massive kick pressure. Cook threw bullets though

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Cronk was a better "Halfback" than Thurston
Maybe, but Thurston was much better player.
Plus Cronk was up to his armpits in Melbourne's Salary Cap breaches and then he went to the Chooks, the master Cap manipulators.

Always a Bulldog

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good post mate and it supports my thought on Green as well. If JT went to the Storm or Roosters or better still stayed with us he would have won multiple comps.

Im sick of sounding like a neg supporter but I never ever believe Barrett had what’s needed.
I'm starting to have the same thoughts Bazil. I really hope we are wrong but Trent really needs a big turn around in defence and attitude from the team. Our team.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe, but Thurston was much better player.
Plus Cronk was up to his armpits in Melbourne's Salary Cap breaches and then he went to the Chooks, the master Cap manipulators.

Always a Bulldog
And Cronk played with better players his whole career.