Opinion Barrett

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How did Barrett a top half in his day, identify Flanagan and recruit the biggest deadwood for big money?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it was more of seeing an available halfback he thought he could polish into something decent.

Obviously it hasn’t worked but it’s not like he hand picked Flanagan out of every half in the comp. Sometimes these things work and sometimes they don’t it’s a roll of the dice.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
How did Barrett a top half in his day, identify Flanagan and recruit the biggest deadwood for big money?
Almost everyone, including analysts and ex-top players thought he was hard done by 1st when he got dropped and secondly once he was moved on. In theory he was a decent risk signing but they all don't pan out. He showed a lot more at the Sharks and Roosters but they were/are much better teams. He's the worst half at our club now tho.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He thought he was o young gun in the making, many did.. however YET to be seen lol.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett was a good first grader, nothing else...
As for a coach, I have no idea I'd he cam or can't but he has a long way to go in a very short time...if he is still coach at years end he will probs survive a few more years but he has to win and that's all that matters now

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be interesting if Bennett picks up Flanagan for depth at the Dolphins.

Good coaches work with and on a players strengths, other coaches try to mold players into what they want them to be & it doesn't always work successfully.

The jury is still out with Barrett, but the jury are currently deliberating and I suspect will deliver the verdict in the next few months.

No improvement & have no doubt Baz will go bye byes.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another day another Barrett thread lol
at least the OP is sticking solid being the original author of the first sack Baz thread.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would be interesting if Bennett picks up Flanagan for depth at the Dolphins.

Good coaches work with and on a players strengths, other coaches try to mold players into what they want them to be & it doesn't always work successfully.

The jury is still out with Barrett, but the jury are currently deliberating and I suspect will deliver the verdict in the next few months.

No improvement & have no doubt Baz will go bye byes.
You're right in the idea that good coaches should work with a player's strengths. If I were Barrett I'd have Flanagan doing extensive work on garnering sympathy from the media and stubbornly pointing out that he thinks he's personally doing well.

I mean it's important that Flanno remains happy even if our last tackle options are both limited and predictable. I'm not trying to deathride Flanagan. But it's on him to work on a short kicking game and the art of being able to subtly create opportunities for the players round him. For what it's worth, Flanagan said he worked on bombs with an AFL player and with Gallen over the off season. I just hope he quietly goes about trying to impress in the lower grades. He needs to earn his opportunities now since he had plenty last year and didn't do enough to hold his NRL spot.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost everyone, including analysts and ex-top players thought he was hard done by 1st when he got dropped and secondly once he was moved on. In theory he was a decent risk signing but they all don't pan out. He showed a lot more at the Sharks and Roosters but they were/are much better teams. He's the worst half at our club now tho.
Flanagan is a very passive kind of halfback player. He needs players in motion putting question marks in the defence so Flanagan can then just feed the ball. In many ways, its the players around him that made him look half decent. But when he doesnt have this (such as us) or if his team has been nullified (some key Roosters games), he has nothing.

Therefore, hed only ever be good in an average team with players running around in chaos and he picking them.

He is also a confidence player and 1 dimensional, and right now he is well low on confidence. To not change things himself, means his career is shot.

I had more hope in guys like Holland, Hoppa and TRex making a fist of it after leaving us than Flanno.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant blame Barrett for taking a chance with Flanno, but im sick to death with the club offering more than 2 years for these experiments.

If we had paid him 100k more each season for 2 years instead of the 3 years he was signed on for, we wouldnt be too worried. We'd know thos is his final year and could be a backup to the guys ahead of him.

But him rotting in reserves for more than 50% of his time year is a disaster for the money he's on.

Ive said it many times. Two years should ne max term we should offer discards or unproven first graders.

Even Kikau on 4 years is a risk. Mahoney is less risk as he doesn't drift in and out of games like Kikau has a history of.

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If we got Flanno cheap he wouldn’t be a bad depth signing.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I only have an issue with the 3-year contract. Should have been for 2.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d be stealing Justin Holbrook from the titans for next year. He should have been signed a few years ago
But if was signed when we first had the opportunity would we have the good players we have now?

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it was more of seeing an available halfback he thought he could polish into something decent.

Obviously it hasn’t worked but it’s not like he hand picked Flanagan out of every half in the comp. Sometimes these things work and sometimes they don’t it’s a roll of the dice.
Should’ve gone with Hastings and put his bullshit aside. I hope he realises his job and credibility are on the line this year? If he doesn’t sort out what’s what then he will never get another job in the NRL. Teams will look at the stars he has and the fact we do nothing with them and he’ll be fucked for life