Opinion Barrett

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No doubt Barrett played a role in getting Burton to the Dogs. But so did the money on offer, the certainty of playing 6 and the war chest rebuild of a historically winning club.

Fox was coming to Sydney and we had the biggest cheque, end of. Both players are not dumb and will question things themselves…
My point was about Barrett selling the deal.
Burton will get a better price now if his on the market .

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
What will be acceptable from Barrett, 5 out of 10 wins? Higher? Lower?

Like to see everyones thoughts.
Tbh bro I’d just like to see us get some wins at least 3 or 4 and score some points and show improvement. Then the back half of the year try and make a run once combinations are established.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tbh bro I’d just like to see us get some wins at least 3 or 4 and score some points and show improvement. Then the back half of the year try and make a run once combinations are established.
I’m 100% with you my bro.
I’m just giving Barrett a bit of credit, not saying he’s the best coach

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pressure on Burton is huge and almost irresponsible of the club heaping so much on him at this stage of his career.
I dont think theres much pressure on Burton.
We saw in the trial that he can fulfill his duties and he hit the ground running. Alittle more assertiveness wouldnt go astray.

Its the rest of the team and indeed the forward pack that needs to lift their game and cross the white line with some footy brains.

If we play smart we will be ok. If we play dumb, it doesnt matter what Burton does or doesnt do.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I disagree with your first line. This is the year where the wins should start to stack up. Trying hard and competing was an acceptable outcome while our squad was severely lacking in talent and experience (eg. 2019-2020), however we’ve now got considerably superior cattle on deck which should be translating to winning at least 45% of our fixtures.

If this particular group is trying hard but ultimately failing to win games then that is not good enough, and in that case the Coach should be dismissed sooner rather than later.
As the season goes on yes BUT from Rd 3 to Rd 8 we play :
Manly
Storm
Panthers
Rabbits
Broncs for a 2nd time
Roosters
This is not even close to an easy run, plus we run with a questionable halves combo who may develop pretty well in time, two average dummy half options and a maligned fullback?

We got violated by those top 4 teams last year and the Roosters are top 5/6 too so what do you expect exactly in these 4 or 5 hard matches?

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's insinuating that our training isn't physically up to the same standards as that of the Storm or Panthers. Unless our trainers know better than the trainers at the Storm or Panthers (which they obviously don't) we should be doing exactly the same or the same but more of it
Not sure if its physical.
I think its a case of our training is very basic and we still cant execute it right, while storm and panthers have much more complex training drills where you have to be on the ball and thinking on your feet.

The guys must think they've gone back to reserve grade....

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As the season goes on yes BUT from Rd 3 to Rd 8 we play :
Manly
Storm
Panthers
Rabbits
Broncs for a 2nd time
Roosters
This is not even close to an easy run, plus we run with a questionable halves combo who may develop pretty well in time, two average dummy half options and a maligned fullback?

We got violated by those top 4 teams last year and the Roosters are top 5/6 too so what do you expect exactly in these 4 or 5 hard matches?
You’ve cherry a tough period of the draw. Realistically Barrett has the first 12 games to prove that he should be our coach for the remainder of 2022 and potentially beyond. Of those first 12 games, I’d say 8 are very winnable. If we don’t have at least 4-5 wins (with strong signs of week to week progress) by the end of Round 12 then we should be moving him on.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Don't know about exact timing but Gus would of been a bigger factor than a dud coach.

I know Burton was signed before Gus, not sure about the other players timing.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You’ve cherry a tough period of the draw. Realistically Barrett has the first 12 games to prove that he should be our coach for the remainder of 2022 and potentially beyond. Of those first 12 games, I’d say 8 are very winnable. If we don’t have at least 4-5 wins (with strong signs of week to week progress) by the end of Round 12 then we should be moving him on.
It's what it is though and we're developing/growing as we go but with genuine weaknesses and playing the 4 best teams in 4 weeks.I'll just be taking it week by week, Round 1 is a big game if we win I think we beat the Broncs then we need to have a red hot crack at the top sides..
I agree with your @ halfway assessment I'm hoping it might even be 5 to 6 wins.
As someone said we want them to win them all but it's a tough start.