Barrett: We need to make sure we nail our recruitment

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good to see everyone taking to Barrett. But will we be like this if we are 1-4 next season. Which is a distinct possibility.
I think everyone should brace themselves for a slow start. The draw isn't friendly and there's a whole new game plan with a bunch of new players that everyone will have to adjust to it's going to take a while until we see their best footy I suspect.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think everyone should brace themselves for a slow start. The draw isn't friendly and there's a whole new game plan with a bunch of new players that everyone will have to adjust to it's going to take a while until we see their best footy I suspect.
Totally agree, but it's more anticipation of what's to come that makes this so exciting. I can't remember the last time we went into a preseason so energetic, so hopeful, so looking forward to the start of the season I wish it was round 1 already. :grinning: I'm not looking for miracles I'm looking for our team to be competitive, to give us fans hope going into each game thinking that we are a good chance of winning and not expecting to lose like this last season gone.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would be happy to be losing with a young team that is building then be winning with a old team that is just doing enough to scrape through. And that was my biggest criticism of Pay. We could have easily had 30 games into wakeman another 20 into Averillo (especially in the spine), we could have given time to Doorey and co instead of wasting time on Tolman, Britt etc. Gotten a junior to fill in a centre instead of bringing Lafai back or signing Crichton (only reason Crichton will be worth it is if we jag his brother which is a long shot).

It was frustrating to see Lewis getting 30+ games over the last 2.5 season when it was obvious he has no future in 1st grade, but was seen as the "safer" option because apparently he can tackle?

So I will not put any pressure on Barrett, he is taking over a club that has missed the finals for 4 years now I think, a club that narrowly avoided the spoon. So if we have similar results as last year but have half a dozen young kids running around with a bright future then I'll just enjoy watching their development.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good to see everyone taking to Barrett. But will we be like this if we are 1-4 next season. Which is a distinct possibility.
It depends on how the team is playing. If we're playing good footy and improving then I'd still be optimistic.
If we're playing Dean Pay style of footy and getting belted every week, I'll be in the foetal position on the floor

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Totally agree, but it's more anticipation of what's to come that makes this so exciting. I can't remember the last time we went into a preseason so energetic, so hopeful, so looking forward to the start of the season I wish it was round 1 already. :grinning: I'm not looking for miracles I'm looking for our team to be competitive, to give us fans hope going into each game thinking that we are a good chance of winning and not expecting to lose like this last season gone.
I think it just puts into perspective the job in front of Tbaz to turn this around. He is going to have to come up with a whole new game plan and attacking structures to suit the playing roster then we have to hope the playing roster picks it all up fairly quickly and can execute it. I think we will see green shoots from Round 1 and it will just get better but things do look like they are stacked against us early but you never know they might surprise us and come out firing but I'm certainly not expecting that.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would be happy to be losing with a young team that is building then be winning with a old team that is just doing enough to scrape through. And that was my biggest criticism of Pay. We could have easily had 30 games into wakeman another 20 into Averillo (especially in the spine), we could have given time to Doorey and co instead of wasting time on Tolman, Britt etc. Gotten a junior to fill in a centre instead of bringing Lafai back or signing Crichton (only reason Crichton will be worth it is if we jag his brother which is a long shot).

It was frustrating to see Lewis getting 30+ games over the last 2.5 season when it was obvious he has no future in 1st grade, but was seen as the "safer" option because apparently he can tackle?

So I will not put any pressure on Barrett, he is taking over a club that has missed the finals for 4 years now I think, a club that narrowly avoided the spoon. So if we have similar results as last year but have half a dozen young kids running around with a bright future then I'll just enjoy watching their development.
Totally agree and to me results aren't the only measuring stick for 2021. It's all about improvement and being able to see that this team will be taking steps forward. I can't see Tbaz making the same mistakes as Pay and playing it safe hoping not to lose.

There probably will be the odd blow out score against us next year but I think it will come with the territory of knocking down everything and starting again. With all the talk of "rebuilding" over the last few years next year feels like its the first time we are on the right track.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Barrett: We need to make sure we nail our recruitment
Authorbulldogs.com.auTimestampMon 30 Nov 2020, 06:29 PM
Share on social media
As the preparations for the 2021 campaign ramp up again at Belmore with the team heading into their third week of the pre-season, Canterbury currently have three spots still available in their top 30 before the June 30 deadline.

Under the terms of the CBA between the NRL and RLPA, each club is required to have the contracts of a minimum of 24 players registered by November 1.

Twenty-nine players must be contracted by the start of next March, with the final roster spot to be filled by June 30 next year.

The current NRL contracted squad stands at 27 players following Reimis Smith being granted a release by the club and the release of Blake Green after an agreement was reached between the club and the Newcastle Knights that will see the five-eighth remain with the Knights in 2021.

Speaking on Breakfast with Vossy, Head Coach Trent Barrett was asked by Andrew Voss about the club’s current recruitment and retention situation and whether there were any more signings to come in the coming weeks or is it completed for the year.

“No, definitely not done and dusted. We’ve got three spots still available and obviously one will be held for Matt Burton if we can try and do a deal and get him out a year early. The other two spots, we have a very clear idea of what we need and who we need to go after.

“We only want quality people coming into the club and we need quality players. We’re not going to rush into a decision and sign someone for more than 12 months if we don’t think they’re the right fit for the place going forward.

“You only get one chance at this sort of stuff and I wouldn’t say it’s a rebuild by any means, but we need to make sure we nail our recruitment. There’s some really good players coming off in the coming seasons and we need to put ourselves in a position to get them.

“Just in the time I have been here it’s a really good football club and I can see why they have been so successful over so many years. It’s a great place to be, got a really good feel about and it’s exciting,” Barrett confirmed this morning.
Ferris happy with squad's progression's progression

Ferris happy with squad's progression

It’s a new beginning at Belmore with a host of changes over the off-season, including a new look training kit, facilities, training regime and a brand new Coaching and High Performance staff.

The players have been back at work for two weeks and with so much change, the application and commitment from the playing group has impressed the coach.
“I have only had the two weeks here with them. They’re like sponges. They’re a really good group, they train really hard, they’re very willing and intent on getting better and that’s the main thing.

“There’s some work to do no doubt, but in terms of attitude and commitment to the cause, I couldn’t ask for any more from them. Our jobs as coaches is to make each individual better and it’s certainly not about us. It’s about the players and the club, and they’re doing really well.

“If we can keep adding a little bit of talent here and there in places we need it, we will. But in saying that, there’s some players here that we are happy with,” added Barrett.
Barrett provides insight to new beginnings at Belmore

Barrett provides insight to new beginnings at Belmore
In the article Barrett was quoted saying the word "we" 12 times and "we've" just the once, but that's commitment, Hasler never committed himself in such a fashion .....that's called taking ownership and buying into the club and into the enormous job that lays ahead of him. I like Barrett's no bullshit style his not hiding behind a rebuild or making excuses, his looking for results. :grinning:

Last edited:

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't expect miracles at the start of next year but am more concerned with our style of play, noticeable improvements in each player and fitness. It is fundamental that we abandon Desball and Payball forever and have constructive, meaningful attack rather than one out hit ups and bomb on the last and hope for the best. That in turn will relieve pressure on our defence and the results will improve over the course of the year.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In the article Barrett was quoted saying the word "we" 12 times and "we've" just the once, but that's commitment, Hasler never committed himself in such a fashion .....that's called taking ownership and buying into the club and into the enormous job that lays ahead of him. I like Barrett's no bullshit style his not hiding behind a rebuild or making excuses, his looking for results. :grinning:
Hasler was and still is a fucking donkey who won a premiership with a side stacked with absolute superstars at Manly. Since his maiden GF win, he hasn't achieved shit at either club. Hasler is a myth.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hasler was and still is a fucking donkey who won a premiership with a side stacked with absolute superstars at Manly. Since his maiden GF win, he hasn't achieved shit at either club. Hasler is a myth.
He won two comps though.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Of cause he is no argument here but he is not the only one Madge is another that was spoon fed his maiden Premiership with Souths.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hasler used to say they and Canterbury all the time. Did he ever get fired up liked he did at Manly when he coached us.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent Robinson bro, walked into coach a team of absolute super stars.
Sure the Chooks are stacked with stars but Robinson has a lot to do with the Chooks sustaining their performance over the decade. He turned them from wooden spooners to champs in his first year. He was intelligent enough to pick up a second language when he was coaching in France which is light years ahead of most coaches who can barely put a sentence together in english.