Barrett: We need to make sure we nail our recruitment

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Authorbulldogs.com.auTimestampMon 30 Nov 2020, 06:29 PM
Share on social media
As the preparations for the 2021 campaign ramp up again at Belmore with the team heading into their third week of the pre-season, Canterbury currently have three spots still available in their top 30 before the June 30 deadline.

Under the terms of the CBA between the NRL and RLPA, each club is required to have the contracts of a minimum of 24 players registered by November 1.

Twenty-nine players must be contracted by the start of next March, with the final roster spot to be filled by June 30 next year.

The current NRL contracted squad stands at 27 players following Reimis Smith being granted a release by the club and the release of Blake Green after an agreement was reached between the club and the Newcastle Knights that will see the five-eighth remain with the Knights in 2021.

Speaking on Breakfast with Vossy, Head Coach Trent Barrett was asked by Andrew Voss about the club’s current recruitment and retention situation and whether there were any more signings to come in the coming weeks or is it completed for the year.

“No, definitely not done and dusted. We’ve got three spots still available and obviously one will be held for Matt Burton if we can try and do a deal and get him out a year early. The other two spots, we have a very clear idea of what we need and who we need to go after.

“We only want quality people coming into the club and we need quality players. We’re not going to rush into a decision and sign someone for more than 12 months if we don’t think they’re the right fit for the place going forward.

“You only get one chance at this sort of stuff and I wouldn’t say it’s a rebuild by any means, but we need to make sure we nail our recruitment. There’s some really good players coming off in the coming seasons and we need to put ourselves in a position to get them.

“Just in the time I have been here it’s a really good football club and I can see why they have been so successful over so many years. It’s a great place to be, got a really good feel about and it’s exciting,” Barrett confirmed this morning.
Ferris happy with squad's progression

It’s a new beginning at Belmore with a host of changes over the off-season, including a new look training kit, facilities, training regime and a brand new Coaching and High Performance staff.

The players have been back at work for two weeks and with so much change, the application and commitment from the playing group has impressed the coach.
“I have only had the two weeks here with them. They’re like sponges. They’re a really good group, they train really hard, they’re very willing and intent on getting better and that’s the main thing.

“There’s some work to do no doubt, but in terms of attitude and commitment to the cause, I couldn’t ask for any more from them. Our jobs as coaches is to make each individual better and it’s certainly not about us. It’s about the players and the club, and they’re doing really well.

“If we can keep adding a little bit of talent here and there in places we need it, we will. But in saying that, there’s some players here that we are happy with,” added Barrett.
Barrett provides insight to new beginnings at Belmore

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Authorbulldogs.com.auTimestampMon 30 Nov 2020, 06:29 PM
Share on social media
As the preparations for the 2021 campaign ramp up again at Belmore with the team heading into their third week of the pre-season, Canterbury currently have three spots still available in their top 30 before the June 30 deadline.

Under the terms of the CBA between the NRL and RLPA, each club is required to have the contracts of a minimum of 24 players registered by November 1.

Twenty-nine players must be contracted by the start of next March, with the final roster spot to be filled by June 30 next year.

The current NRL contracted squad stands at 27 players following Reimis Smith being granted a release by the club and the release of Blake Green after an agreement was reached between the club and the Newcastle Knights that will see the five-eighth remain with the Knights in 2021.

Speaking on Breakfast with Vossy, Head Coach Trent Barrett was asked by Andrew Voss about the club’s current recruitment and retention situation and whether there were any more signings to come in the coming weeks or is it completed for the year.

“No, definitely not done and dusted. We’ve got three spots still available and obviously one will be held for Matt Burton if we can try and do a deal and get him out a year early. The other two spots, we have a very clear idea of what we need and who we need to go after.

“We only want quality people coming into the club and we need quality players. We’re not going to rush into a decision and sign someone for more than 12 months if we don’t think they’re the right fit for the place going forward.

“You only get one chance at this sort of stuff and I wouldn’t say it’s a rebuild by any means, but we need to make sure we nail our recruitment. There’s some really good players coming off in the coming seasons and we need to put ourselves in a position to get them.

“Just in the time I have been here it’s a really good football club and I can see why they have been so successful over so many years. It’s a great place to be, got a really good feel about and it’s exciting,” Barrett confirmed this morning.
Ferris happy with squad's progression's progression

It’s a new beginning at Belmore with a host of changes over the off-season, including a new look training kit, facilities, training regime and a brand new Coaching and High Performance staff.

The players have been back at work for two weeks and with so much change, the application and commitment from the playing group has impressed the coach.
“I have only had the two weeks here with them. They’re like sponges. They’re a really good group, they train really hard, they’re very willing and intent on getting better and that’s the main thing.

“There’s some work to do no doubt, but in terms of attitude and commitment to the cause, I couldn’t ask for any more from them. Our jobs as coaches is to make each individual better and it’s certainly not about us. It’s about the players and the club, and they’re doing really well.

“If we can keep adding a little bit of talent here and there in places we need it, we will. But in saying that, there’s some players here that we are happy with,” added Barrett.

I want to make sexual juices with Barrett. Sexual juices.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Been a long time since we had someone steering the ship with this level of intent and intelligence.

Hasler ideology was getting rejects and getting them to do 1 task they are good at. Pay had his madness to preach. Georgallis was just there for the mad Monday I think.

Good to hear we did leave some spots opened. Very smart thinking. In years gone by wed have our full 30 man squad set in stone and we’d miss out on preseason moves. Good to hear we are ready to pounce if any opportunities present themselves.

Liking this Barrett bloke more and more. And even if this rebuild takes 3-4 years to fire I think he has afforded himself the time with His professionalism.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too early to say Barrett is our savior however I like the clean out so far & I actually believe we wont just be doing block plays like U12's in attack in 2021. Pay promised us madness and he delivered that in spades. Hopefully Barrett promises us success and delivers in spades.

JOHNY BULLDOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Soooo excited for the future guys....haven't felt like this in a long time...I can just feel success is just around the corner & it will make the pain and suffering of the last few years melt away.Love how TBaz is intelligent and a great communicator unlike Pay & bloody Hasler where every fucking second word was....UMMMMM....:grinning:

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"There’s some really good players coming off in the coming seasons and we need to put ourselves in a position to get them"

That's the sentence that really excites me. He's already thinking about 22 or even 23. I hope one of those players we're targeting is Staggs and a gun hooker. With Baz we're not prepared to buy rubbish for the sake of it. If Baz was coach when Klemmer left, you can be sure we wouldn't have bought Napa or re-signed Lewis

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there might be a little clue in what he said when he said this
"We’re not going to rush into a decision and sign someone for more than 12 months if we don’t think they’re the right fit for the place going forward."
To me this is directed at Penrith, most likely regarding any player they want us to take in order to get Burton released. I like it.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there might be a little clue in what he said when he said this
"We’re not going to rush into a decision and sign someone for more than 12 months if we don’t think they’re the right fit for the place going forward."
To me this is directed at Penrith, most likely regarding any player they want us to take in order to get Burton released. I like it.
Actually I think you're right. I thought he was talking about Benji but it makes more sense that he was referring to Mansour or Whare

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
“We only want quality people coming into the club and we need quality players. We’re not going to rush into a decision and sign someone for more than 12 months if we don’t think they’re the right fit for the place going forward”.

Glad they’ve maintained this stance.
Steve Hansen would be part of the culture side and although it’s hard to always get it right, hopefully no more long contracts for players who aren’t delivering.