News Barrett miffed by Bulldogs' penalty woes

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Or when the female manager gets on the apron and the ref is scared she will cause an interference but the 6ft 6 guy with the other wrestler is free to do what he wants
Exactly.... or when Ric Flair kisses Miss Elizabeth without consent, it’s sexual assault, but when the good guy kisses the evil female manager without consent, it’s the feel good moment of the summer.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Link: Barrett miffed by Bulldogs' penalty woes

Barrett miffed by Bulldogs' penalty woes
Scott Bailey

Canterbury coach Trent Barrett claims he is at a loss as to why his team is penalised so harshly by NRL referees, arguing South Sydney "had to earn nothing" in their 32-24 win over the Bulldogs.
a group of people playing football on a field: Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett was perplexed about the refereeing and the Lachlan Lewis incident.
© Jason O'BRIEN/AAP PHOTOS Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett was perplexed about the refereeing and the Lachlan Lewis incident.
Just a month after claiming he would seek a please-explain from the NRL after the Bulldogs loss to Parramatta, Barrett again pointed to a lopsided penalty count against his side on Sunday.
"There are a lot of things. We made far too many yardage errors tonight ... We only had four good-ball sets the whole game," Barrett said.
"Again we're on the end of a 7-1 six-to-go (count) again, on the end of 7-3 penalties again.
"They had to earn nothing, and so we're sitting here again in the same position.
"How we are that much worse, or ill-disciplined in that area, with the six-to-gos and the penalties, I just don't know."
Statistically, the Bulldogs have been on the bad end of penalty counts this year.

They have won just five counts in 17 matches, while the 87 they have conceded this year compared to 60 earned makes for the biggest negative differential against one side.

When asked after the Rabbitohs loss if he believed the penalties were being determined based on ladder position, Barrett responded "you know I can't answer that".
Meanwhile, Barrett also wanted answers on what made Lachlan Lewis snap on halftime after he tackled Cody Walker to the ground as players were walking from the field.
The incident saw Lewis sin-binned as South Sydney score eight points while he was off the field, which ended up being the final margin.
Barrett said the result couldn't be blamed on Lewis being binned, but questioned if a player could be punished like that after the whistle had been blown.
"I didn't know you could get 10 minutes in the walking off at halftime," Barrett said.
"He didn't hit him or anything but obviously something's happened.
"It was disappointing, but that wasn't the reason we lost the game.
"We had our chances to win it. Every time we went down there, we troubled them. The sad thing for us is we only got down there four times."
I'm not miffed - I think it is outright corruption. Once or twice you could say it's bias but when different referees do the same dishonest thing every week, it's the only answer I can come up with.

Doggystyle99

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
One thing that annoyed me the most was when late in the game averillo (think it was him) blatantly gets pushed by Reynolds as his trying to play the ball, effectively as plain a ruck infringement as they come, and even when avo has protested we still get no six again. The following set south’s get awarded a six again for a ruck infringement for literally nothing

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you went through the replay there was ample opportunity for the ref to ping souths and he simply didn't. It is bias and pressure has to be bought to bear to change the behavior. There are 2 refs in particular being Sutton & Cummins who penalize us out of the contest every game they ref.
yep Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumb.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You will find that the sh!t started in 1997 just after Super League collapsed and the teams re-joined and became the NRL. I'm sure it had something to do with a fued between Bullfrog and Arko.
No it started before that when Bill Harrigan came along. He's had something against us from the start & passed it on down the line.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Depends on perspective. Every coach and every fan is blatantly biased. Some Clubs cover up indiscretions better than others. That falls on coaches. Today I heard 2 Suffs supporters ring talk back radio to complain how the Dogs slowed down the ruck and were lying all over their players and it's about time the NRL took action against the Dogs for the unsportsmanlike way we play the game. I tell you...I wanted to throw the fucken radio out the window but I couldn't cause I didn't have a mask on so couldn't put the window down in case I caught covid.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm glad Barrett is talking about this. There needs to be pressure on the NRL about the pathetic standard of of the referees.
We endlessly get both the worst refs in the game, Cummins (who I don't recall ever winning with him) and the worst ref in history, Sutton (only his brother was as bad but had the sense to give it away)

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Because we're ineffective through the middle of the park and resort to blatant fouls to slow down the ruck. Really hope he's just chatting shit to try and influence the refs and doesn't actually believe it.
I’d rather we try and slow the ruck down as other teams also do and cop six agains that let them roll us through the middle and put a cricket score on us. Also can’t imagine other teams are squeaky clean compared to us in the ruck and being offside. … unless you’re referring to Jack Hetherington?

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm excited about the new signings and next year but let's face it, nothing will change when we're constantly getting rorted by refs.

It's got to a point where mates of mine who hate us with a passion are seeing and calling it out on my behalf lol ffs
Well said. Even opposition fans can see it.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Oh I thought this was Barrett milfed by bulldogs cheerleaders.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
"They have won just five counts in 17 matches, while the 87 they have conceded this year compared to 60 earned makes for the biggest negative differential against one side.

When asked after the Rabbitohs loss if he believed the penalties were being determined based on ladder position, Barrett responded "you know I can't answer that". "

This part says it all.
The question about penalties and ladder positions is fairly significant.

I don't have any stats in front of me, but my guess would be that there are nowhere near as many UPSET results with the new rules as there have been in the past.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the comp being played in Qld and thus most games on neutral grounds, because I am convinced the six again and penalty counts would dramatically favour the home teams in most games.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What concerns me is that its the games where we are level pegging that we get slammed the most.

We win penalty counts in games we lose by 30+

It doesnt make sense

Evens up the overall penalty deficit so it looks like there is no bias though
Both Sutton's have done both those things with penalty counts with us well before this season. The 2018 game against the Broncos at Suncorp when the 2 of them had the whistle being a prime example.

Even game at half time. 6 nil penalties against us in the 2nd half but we are still in front with 10 to go and then a last minute penalty to Broncos for a Delirious Boyd Swan dive decides the game.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Almost all of our penalties and six agains are deserved but the frustrating part is when the other team is almost perfect
I have been seeing that way as well. Not just this year. It's the "non-decisions" that don't go your way that are the most frustrating.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No it started before that when Bill Harrigan came along. He's had something against us from the start & passed it on down the line.
When Harrigan became head of referees he introduced "tip sheets" on teams advising ref's what to look out for in teams and players. Basically he was refereeing from his office.

I wonder if tip sheets are still in vogue.

I also wonder at times if some refs are frightened of treading on the toes of high profile coaches like Bellamy, (Mr Happy) Bennett and to a lesser extent Robinson, so things go their way in a lot of games.

Last edited:

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We endlessly get both the worst refs in the game, Cummins (who I don't recall ever winning with him) and the worst ref in history, Sutton (only his brother was as bad but had the sense to give it away)
It's a bit of a chicken or the egg conundrum. If you complain through the correct channels are ref's going to make things worse or will things get better for a while. Who knows. At least Baz has done something positive.

We have won games under Cummins but like you I can't recall when.

Let's hope things change soon but with Chris Sutton having the whistle this week I very much doubt it.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And you can also pick out times where we haven't been penalised. We're pushing the limit every game because the ref isn't going to blow every penalty and to an extent it's working because we're dragging teams into a dog fight. Just look at the scrum penalties we have away against Souths, they were absolutely laughable. Ball was barely in the scrum and we were off the line haha.
But mate, look at it from another angle. Are the other teams always so well disciplined? Surely not...
There's always one team penalised more then the other. Most of the time anyway. Sure, most of the time that is us! But at some point the team needs to own their mistakes and stop blaming others.

rissolerob

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
When Harrigan became head of referees he introduced "tip sheets" on teams advising ref's what to look out for in teams and players. Basically he was refereeing from his office.

I also wonder at times if some refs are frightened of treading on the toes of high profile coaches like Bellamy, (Mr Happy) Bennett and to a lesser extent Robinson, so things go their way in a lot of games.
Tip sheets are still around for the refs but they are now supplied by the betting agencies.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Correct & tips sheets is one reason Corey Hughes had to leave because he was being penalised based on past reputation. Harrigan seemed to have something against us from the get go, I wish I knew what it was. And because of his authoritative personality it seemed to rub off on other referees as well.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a bit of a chicken or the egg conundrum. If you complain through the correct channels are ref's going to make things worse or will things get better for a while. Who knows. At least Baz has done something positive.

We have won games under Cummins but like you I can't recall when.

Let's hope things change soon but with Chris Sutton having the whistle this week I very much doubt it.
I really think it's an avenue worth pursuing because it can't get much worse than it is now. Some of our new players are going to be in for a shock next season particularly JAC coming from Melbourne who seem to be protected for some reason.