News Barrett miffed by Bulldogs' penalty woes

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Link: Barrett miffed by Bulldogs' penalty woes

Barrett miffed by Bulldogs' penalty woes
Scott Bailey

Canterbury coach Trent Barrett claims he is at a loss as to why his team is penalised so harshly by NRL referees, arguing South Sydney "had to earn nothing" in their 32-24 win over the Bulldogs.
a group of people playing football on a field: Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett was perplexed about the refereeing and the Lachlan Lewis incident.
© Jason O'BRIEN/AAP PHOTOS Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett was perplexed about the refereeing and the Lachlan Lewis incident.
Just a month after claiming he would seek a please-explain from the NRL after the Bulldogs loss to Parramatta, Barrett again pointed to a lopsided penalty count against his side on Sunday.
"There are a lot of things. We made far too many yardage errors tonight ... We only had four good-ball sets the whole game," Barrett said.
"Again we're on the end of a 7-1 six-to-go (count) again, on the end of 7-3 penalties again.
"They had to earn nothing, and so we're sitting here again in the same position.
"How we are that much worse, or ill-disciplined in that area, with the six-to-gos and the penalties, I just don't know."
Statistically, the Bulldogs have been on the bad end of penalty counts this year.

They have won just five counts in 17 matches, while the 87 they have conceded this year compared to 60 earned makes for the biggest negative differential against one side.

When asked after the Rabbitohs loss if he believed the penalties were being determined based on ladder position, Barrett responded "you know I can't answer that".
Meanwhile, Barrett also wanted answers on what made Lachlan Lewis snap on halftime after he tackled Cody Walker to the ground as players were walking from the field.
The incident saw Lewis sin-binned as South Sydney score eight points while he was off the field, which ended up being the final margin.
Barrett said the result couldn't be blamed on Lewis being binned, but questioned if a player could be punished like that after the whistle had been blown.
"I didn't know you could get 10 minutes in the walking off at halftime," Barrett said.
"He didn't hit him or anything but obviously something's happened.
"It was disappointing, but that wasn't the reason we lost the game.
"We had our chances to win it. Every time we went down there, we troubled them. The sad thing for us is we only got down there four times."

Attachments

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"They have won just five counts in 17 matches, while the 87 they have conceded this year compared to 60 earned makes for the biggest negative differential against one side.

When asked after the Rabbitohs loss if he believed the penalties were being determined based on ladder position, Barrett responded "you know I can't answer that". "

This part says it all.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Because we're ineffective through the middle of the park and resort to blatant fouls to slow down the ruck. Really hope he's just chatting shit to try and influence the refs and doesn't actually believe it.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Because we're ineffective through the middle of the park and resort to blatant fouls to slow down the ruck. Really hope he's just chatting shit to try and influence the refs and doesn't actually believe it.
Do you really not see what we get penalised for, anyone we play get away with?

So you can't find any tackle in last nights game where the Bunnies were offside and deserved to be penalised? The ref couldn't.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you really not see what we get penalised for, anyone we play get away with?

So you can't find any tackle in last nights game where the Bunnies were offside and deserved to be penalised? The ref couldn't.
He doesn’t mate he’s just anti Barrett and anything he says. Blind Freddy can see we are unfairly penalised with inconsistent 6 agains.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Link: Barrett miffed by Bulldogs' penalty woes

Barrett miffed by Bulldogs' penalty woes
Scott Bailey

Canterbury coach Trent Barrett claims he is at a loss as to why his team is penalised so harshly by NRL referees, arguing South Sydney "had to earn nothing" in their 32-24 win over the Bulldogs.
a group of people playing football on a field: Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett was perplexed about the refereeing and the Lachlan Lewis incident.
© Jason O'BRIEN/AAP PHOTOS Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett was perplexed about the refereeing and the Lachlan Lewis incident.
Just a month after claiming he would seek a please-explain from the NRL after the Bulldogs loss to Parramatta, Barrett again pointed to a lopsided penalty count against his side on Sunday.
"There are a lot of things. We made far too many yardage errors tonight ... We only had four good-ball sets the whole game," Barrett said.
"Again we're on the end of a 7-1 six-to-go (count) again, on the end of 7-3 penalties again.
"They had to earn nothing, and so we're sitting here again in the same position.
"How we are that much worse, or ill-disciplined in that area, with the six-to-gos and the penalties, I just don't know."
Statistically, the Bulldogs have been on the bad end of penalty counts this year.

They have won just five counts in 17 matches, while the 87 they have conceded this year compared to 60 earned makes for the biggest negative differential against one side.

When asked after the Rabbitohs loss if he believed the penalties were being determined based on ladder position, Barrett responded "you know I can't answer that".
Meanwhile, Barrett also wanted answers on what made Lachlan Lewis snap on halftime after he tackled Cody Walker to the ground as players were walking from the field.
The incident saw Lewis sin-binned as South Sydney score eight points while he was off the field, which ended up being the final margin.
Barrett said the result couldn't be blamed on Lewis being binned, but questioned if a player could be punished like that after the whistle had been blown.
"I didn't know you could get 10 minutes in the walking off at halftime," Barrett said.
"He didn't hit him or anything but obviously something's happened.
"It was disappointing, but that wasn't the reason we lost the game.
"We had our chances to win it. Every time we went down there, we troubled them. The sad thing for us is we only got down there four times."
Well done Baz for speaking up again, it's about making noise until others hear. Just waiting for the NRLol flops to say they're currently reviewing the 'questionable comments' made by Barrett.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least Annersley didn't come out and say that the shellacking was justified. So the inconsistancies must have been as obvious to him as it was to us.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He doesn’t mate he’s just anti Barrett and anything he says. Blind Freddy can see we are unfairly penalised with inconsistent 6 agains.
Lol no, our ruck defence is poor and undisciplined but too many of our fans want to cry about the refs every week.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People don’t understand…. It’s not the amount we are giving away that’s the issue. It’s the blatant ones the other team make and never get penalised against us. We usually are 2-3 times more penalised against our opposing team. How the fuck can you win games when the ref is so one sided

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Those ruck infringements I can handle... It's the bullshit inside the 10m calls that burn me, especially when our line speed in so poor. Like when Jackson was sin binned for being inside 10m when ref was back 12... We get nit picked there 100%

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Don't disagree about that, but a different rule is applied to us vs other teams when it comes to all types of infringements.
Because we're consistently bad. The amount of times we have one or two tacklers struggling to put an attacker down while some idiot just stands there and watches is ridiculous. We just aren't doing enough at contact and in bringing the attacker to ground. We're then left in an unfavorable position and need it do a lot more work on the ground to slow the ruck and it's a lot more obvious.

But yh there's definitely some calls we don't get but that happens a lot in world sport. When you see a team of lower quality compared to superior opposition then it's a lot easier to pick at the faults of the inferior side.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol no, our ruck defence is poor and undisciplined but too many of our fans want to cry about the refs every week.
We are losing the ruck I agree there we don’t have the speed through the middle but Baz has brought specific examples week to week where other teams are getting away with it and that’s fair enough I’m glad he’s calling it out the right way.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We are losing the ruck I agree there we don’t have the speed through the middle but Baz has brought specific examples week to week where other teams are getting away with it and that’s fair enough I’m glad he’s calling it out the right way.
And you can also pick out times where we haven't been penalised. We're pushing the limit every game because the ref isn't going to blow every penalty and to an extent it's working because we're dragging teams into a dog fight. Just look at the scrum penalties we have away against Souths, they were absolutely laughable. Ball was barely in the scrum and we were off the line haha.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm excited about the new signings and next year but let's face it, nothing will change when we're constantly getting rorted by refs.

It's got to a point where mates of mine who hate us with a passion are seeing and calling it out on my behalf lol ffs

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
But mate, look at it from another angle. Are the other teams always so well disciplined? Surely not...
No, but when one team is inferior than the opposition and consistently doing it then it becomes far easier to penalise them. I've reffed (not league) and you notice this type of stuff. You might see something and decide to let it slide and give the bloke the benefit of the doubt only to see seconds later the **** do the exact same thing again.