Barrett is not the man

axeman23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How? He was given every chance to succeed including external mentoring and likely would’ve been offered another year at least (with an improved squad) had the results been even marginally better. Only after the July loss to the Ponies (when everyone else was beating them) did the club acknowledge they’d have to consider other options. That’s when Andrew Hill - who’d given Pay his word he would not talk to other coaches without telling him first - told him they’d have to consider other coaches for 2021. So Pay then fell on his own sword - because he knew that going up against other candidates he would unlikely be chosen. That’s not hamstrung.
He wasn't given the opportunity to build his own team. Every year he lost talent through no fault of his own. I'm not saying he's the next Jack Gibson, and I don't think anyone is saying that. But he was hung out to dry, and if we were going to do that to someone, I don't think it should have been one of "our own"...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He wasn't given the opportunity to build his own team. Every year he lost talent through no fault of his own. I'm not saying he's the next Jack Gibson, and I don't think anyone is saying that. But he was hung out to dry, and if we were going to do that to someone, I don't think it should have been one of "our own"...
I think another thing that hurt his cause was lobbying to re-sign Grub. He was desperate for quick results to get us through to the end of the year and I get that, but all he/the team had to do was reproduce the second half of 2018/2019 and he likely would’ve been given a shot for 2021. That wasn’t happening. I supported him - not for his coaching ability but for the position he was in, it was a tough one without question but in the end the club had little choice.

Malla

Reaction score
Blue and white for 41 years and I can honestly say I think they have made a mistake giving the job to Trent. Des fucked us, Dean tried to fix us with no support and now Trent is getting rid of players that have real grunt and potential for guys at the end of their career (James Tamou ) . Makes no sense to me. Barrett didn’t have the best footy brain when he played and I think the lure of his relationship with the new sponser was the main reason behind the decision.
Dean tried to fix us? How?

Malla

Reaction score
Did anyone improve under his coaching?

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Blue and white for 41 years and I can honestly say I think they have made a mistake giving the job to Trent. Des fucked us, Dean tried to fix us with no support and now Trent is getting rid of players that have real grunt and potential for guys at the end of their career (James Tamou ) . Makes no sense to me. Barrett didn’t have the best footy brain when he played and I think the lure of his relationship with the new sponser was the main reason behind the decision.
Give the guy a chance, by the way you confuse me about J Tamou and players with real grunt

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You’d have to have rocks in your head to believe the Panthers would let Barrett have any say over retention.

I can guarantee you that Barrett had no say on whether Tamou stays or leaves.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You’d have to have rocks in your head to believe the Panthers would let Barrett have any say over retention.

I can guarantee you that Barrett had no say on whether Tamou stays or leaves.
Correct. Baz removed himself from that committee at the Panthers as soon as he signed with the Dogs.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be interested to know how much we spent on coaching staff this year compared to what we spend next year.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a post I expect from that troll Nasheed. TB getting rid of James Tamou? TB is NOT in the recruitment team at Penrith now as he voluntary stood down from that position since it's a clear conflict of interest for him. It was Cleary's and the recruitment team's decision. TB was one of the best five eighth's of his era and his footy brain is far better than Pay and the NRL coaches not signed for 2021 at the time he signed up.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hi Mrs Pay!

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent didnt do well at Manly so I doubt he will have more success here but I will support him and I pray that he proves me wrong!

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
How? He was given every chance to succeed including external mentoring and likely would’ve been offered another year at least (with an improved squad) had the results been even marginally better. Only after the July loss to the Ponies (when everyone else was beating them) did the club acknowledge they’d have to consider other options. That’s when Andrew Hill - who’d given Pay his word he would not talk to other coaches without telling him first - told him they’d have to consider other coaches for 2021. So Pay then fell on his own sword - because he knew that going up against other candidates he would unlikely be chosen. That’s not hamstrung.
Lets rewrite history eh? Pay was hamstrung from day 1 due to backended contracts, players being paid overs in contracts negotiated by Hasler, and the squad he inherited not being first grade standard but due to contractural obligations, Pay was unable to do anything about the squad.
Put another way. How many of this years squad would find a place in any of the top 5 teams?
So Baz now has to determine how much of that inability to be considered say one of the best 8 players playing in the NRL in that position is due to bad coaching and how much is due to bad basic skills?