Barrett is not the man

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How? He was given every chance to succeed including external mentoring and likely would’ve been offered another year at least (with an improved squad) had the results been even marginally better. Only after the July loss to the Ponies (when everyone else was beating them) did the club acknowledge they’d have to consider other options. That’s when Andrew Hill - who’d given Pay his word he would not talk to other coaches without telling him first - told him they’d have to consider other coaches for 2021. So Pay then fell on his own sword - because he knew that going up against other candidates he would unlikely be chosen. That’s not hamstrung.
Exactly.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Lets rewrite history eh? Pay was hamstrung from day 1 due to backended contracts, players being paid overs in contracts negotiated by Hasler, and the squad he inherited not being first grade standard but due to contractural obligations, Pay was unable to do anything about the squad.
Put another way. How many of this years squad would find a place in any of the top 5 teams?
So Baz now has to determine how much of that inability to be considered say one of the best 8 players playing in the NRL in that position is due to bad coaching and how much is due to bad basic skills?
You mustn’t be familiar with my view on things. I’ve constantly stated those realities and how long it would take to clean up. So if by hamstrung you mean circumstance then I agree, but not by those running the club for his tenure (not appointment). But here’s the thing: Pay still took the job, no-one forced him into it. Even Madge turned us down when he saw the mess our cap was in and he was out of a coaching gig at the time. Pay was given every chance possible to succeed within the restrictions the club faced. Unfortunately he couldn’t make it work enough to hold on until the roster was improved. I supported him because of the shit sandwich he was holding - not because he was an old boy or a quality coach - but push was always going to come to shove when results weren’t coming. It was only a matter of when. Now Baz has the baton but enters at a time with far more opportunity than Pay ever had.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay was walking into a Gallipoli beach situation, but here is the thing, without improvement, its impossible to renew the contract, otherwise the 2021 contract would have been the result of goodwill charity, which would also mean/imply 18/19 was always free money, and was always going to be a 5 year deal, may as well just cruise through first 3 years.

Pay would have been ok with two more wins at time of sacking i think.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Simply question for all those who think Pay was hard done by.. which players improved under his tenure and did our attack look any different 3 years on from his appointment? Not the mention the players recruited during his time, none of which have kicked on..

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Simply question for all those who think Pay was hard done by.. which players improved under his tenure and did our attack look any different 3 years on from his appointment? Not the mention the players recruited during his time, none of which have kicked on..
best post

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO one of Pays negatives was his team selections, I don't know what the board thought of that part of his coaching, but they (most) should have had some idea otherwise they should not have been on the board.
We have I admire him for taking the job because very few others if any would have taken it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We have I admire him for taking the job because very few others if any would have taken it.
Agree, as Madge proved.
Irrespective of the individual it was wrong to appoint a rookie first grade coach their first NRL gig with the state the club was in at the time - and especially when that decision was largely self centred to save your own arse at an upcoming election.

tomisbester

Waterboy
Reaction score
Blue and white for 41 years and I can honestly say I think they have made a mistake giving the job to Trent. Des fucked us, Dean tried to fix us with no support and now Trent is getting rid of players that have real grunt and potential for guys at the end of their career (James Tamou ) . Makes no sense to me. Barrett didn’t have the best footy brain when he played and I think the lure of his relationship with the new sponser was the main reason behind the decision.
Absolutely agree. He isn’t proven as a coach and is clearing the deck left right and center. I haven’t seen anything from him that’s impressed me in the slightest. For mine, Paul Green was a much better option.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Absolutely agree. He isn’t proven as a coach and is clearing the deck left right and center. I haven’t seen anything from him that’s impressed me in the slightest. For mine, Paul Green was a much better option.
Paul Green did well with a roster of superstars, but has shown himself to be pretty ordinary since JT'S retirement despite still having a pretty good roster. If he couldn't get the cowboys team of the past few years to the finals, his chances of doing well with us would be slim to none. I'm not sure if barrett is the answer or not, but he has said all the right things about lessons he has learnt from his first stint and seems to be very well liked by players at clubs he has worked at. People need to give the dude a chance.

tomisbester

Waterboy
Reaction score
Don’t you love the account, created in 2011 and a chunk of the 53 posts have been made today? Nothing suspicious there... Might’ve spent the last 9 years at Jabba’s Palace...
View attachment 17251
I really don’t understand the need to belittle and bully me because I have been inactive on my account. I haven’t said anything that has warranted a personal attack. You seem to have an agenda to attack those who don’t agree with you. I’m allowed to share my opinion without being ridiculed by you. I have been a life long supporter and long time member of this club. If you want to speak about the team and the club let’s do it. But you can leave your personal opinion of me out of it. If you get some sort of gratification out of attacking others then that’s something you can address yourself. I won’t be engaging with you further.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I really don’t understand the need to belittle and bully me because I have been inactive on my account. I haven’t said anything that has warranted a personal attack. You seem to have an agenda to attack those who don’t agree with you. I’m allowed to share my opinion without being ridiculed by you. I have been a life long supporter and long time member of this club. If you want to speak about the team and the club let’s do it. But you can leave your personal opinion of me out of it. If you get some sort of gratification out of attacking others then that’s something you can address yourself. I won’t be engaging with you further.
Ease up Princess. Just pointed out you haven’t been seen for a long time and it seems odd you’re suddenly so vocal. In no way did I ‘personally attack’ you. You need to read some of the other trash posted here to define a ‘personal attack’. I’m happy to debate with you, but pisstaking is part and parcel around here so if you can’t stand the heat...

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Green...? fuck me swingin... He had the most damaging ball running forward in the game and arguably the best player in the game with the 2 x JT's and just fell over the line to win one comp.
Yep i agree. The style of football the cowboys were playing for the past few years was similar to ours. Block plays and structured attack. The game has moved past that especially with the new rules.

Paul Green needs a year off I reckon.

I am actually excited to see what Barrett can bring. He is the common denominator in the turnaround in form for the panthers attack this year. He had a poor last year at Manly but injuries played a big part in that. They didnt go too crash hot this year either

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
He is signed and ready to represent the Dogs and all you care about is creating dissension and doubt when he has not even started yet? What possible value and relevance does your post have but to denigrate the Club's hopes for the future? You better hope your lousy post is wrong - it wreaks of politics and has no spirit of support for the Club when it needs it badly.