Rumour Barrett Gone

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm friends with one of the players brother. Barrett had a honesty session last year and all the players were yelling at each other. Nobody is getting along. Apparently JAC is over it, that the players around him have no passion.
You can see the loss of passion from JAC. He had a moment of real passion when we led after his two tries, but lost his enthusiasm after we surrendered. I fear that he will start looking for a real team before this year is out.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This "drinking and mates" rumour rather than "respected hard coach" rumour first started early last season and has continued on.

It's been spoken of/rumoured by highly involved persons at the club, as a major concern (and excuse btw) for the ill discipline and inability of the team to listen and effectively carry out most game plan instructions due to unfocussed task management.

(Only repeating what has been circulating but its consistently being discussed).

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got some more info today that aligns with OP.
I thought he was full of it but fork what I heard today, sorry to say @Isaac appears correct.
Barrett loses next week he is out.
Might as well go now, then. Ain't no way he's going to get a win against the Chooks, or any other team for that matter.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a board meeting Tuesday. There will be a review on the best interest of the club moving forward. If the board agrees to sack Barrett then Gus has no say. There is a big chance that the coaching staff will be questioned. As of now Barrett is in a big hole. There is a massive call on Josh jackson as Captain. JMK is axed. Josh Cook likely to take over. JAC will be Fullback. Big changes coming Tuesday.
Hope you're right re JJ and JMK. Re coach hopefully it happens at the right time with a good plan in place.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a board meeting Tuesday. There will be a review on the best interest of the club moving forward. If the board agrees to sack Barrett then Gus has no say. There is a big chance that the coaching staff will be questioned. As of now Barrett is in a big hole. There is a massive call on Josh jackson as Captain. JMK is axed. Josh Cook likely to take over. JAC will be Fullback. Big changes coming Tuesday.
I’m calling you out
Rumours are tumours
Bulldogs to break all records this year
All bad ones take that with a grain of salt

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You can see the loss of passion from JAC. He had a moment of real passion when we led after his two tries, but lost his enthusiasm after we surrendered. I fear that he will start looking for a real team before this year is out.
He knew he was coming into a rebuilding team, he needs to stay committed to his mantra of teaching the young kids on how to be professional and have a long NRL career, we will be better, he will have a positive influence - he’ll finish his career here.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Source is about 80% correct.
The reason it is not higher is sometimes things happen then they don’t happen.
For example Bellamy nearly came to us this season.
This all came and went under the radar.
The source is excellent when it comes to office staff.
Your source must be Meth.. I'm sure Bellamy was so close to leaving a team that's competing for a premiership every season and joining a wooden spoon team...

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This "drinking and mates" rumour rather than "respected hard coach" rumour first started early last season and has continued on.

It's been spoken of/rumoured by highly involved persons at the club, as a major concern (and excuse btw) for the ill discipline and inability of the team to listen and effectively carry out most game plan instructions due to unfocussed task management.

(Only repeating what has been circulating but its consistently being discussed).
I can remember someone (I think it was even Steve Mortimer) who spoke about Warren Ryan on his first day of training, saying to the team something like, "I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here to win a premiership!"

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He knew he was coming into a rebuilding team, he needs to stay committed to his mantra of teaching the young kids on how to be professional and have a long NRL career, we will be better, he will have a positive influence - he’ll finish his career here.
Easy to be passionate and be a leader when you are on top - when it is really needed is when the team/ club is struggling

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I can remember someone (I think it was even Steve Mortimer) who spoke about Warren Ryan on his first day of training, saying to the team something like, "I'm not here to be your friend, I'm here to win a premiership!"
Recent article on how Cam Smith at his first training session with Bellamy said he was a psycho (or similar :grinning:

"Great" coaches are few and far between ..but in the NRL they all seem to be no nonsense hard taskmasters who expect 110% effort and execution from their players.

That's not Barrett.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im sure there is a modelling job out there for him.
I can just picture him getting pedicures and nails done.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What’s the obsession with clauses for Barrett? I’ve seen posts regarding Burton, Mahoney and Kikau…I understand there is history but the club would be silly to agree to something like this.
The concern was how desperate we were to land Burton..
He could easily have said..”if Baz is coach,I’m in”.
It’s amazing what you will agree to,when you’re desperate

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We all support this club and those in it as hard as it is write know. Some people need to look at what the new players like these days they like the good times the hugs the friends. They won’t stay with the hard nose approach a lot are calling for. I came through the hard nose approach and miss it and the way the game was played. The game has evolved example no team looking for a Gillespie type who would put on a hit. They hold you up for that 3 seconds enabling the d to set. The game has changed as have the players. Yes some have come for the money. But others have come for the coach. If we flick Barrett we could start again trying to attract players to support the style and coach they want. Are we willing to have anther 5 seasons of this? And if a new coach comes the systems change. Means juniors we have coming through may also start again. Don’t get me wrong I’m like all you displeased with our results. But I believe Gus is managing it. And putting systems in place to support not our success for one win here or there. But ongoing success like he did at the riff it’s difficult but let’s keep supporting and we will be back there hopefully sooner than later

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We all support this club and those in it as hard as it is write know. Some people need to look at what the new players like these days they like the good times the hugs the friends. They won’t stay with the hard nose approach a lot are calling for. I came through the hard nose approach and miss it and the way the game was played. The game has evolved example no team looking for a Gillespie type who would put on a hit. They hold you up for that 3 seconds enabling the d to set. The game has changed as have the players. Yes some have come for the money. But others have come for the coach. If we flick Barrett we could start again trying to attract players to support the style and coach they want. Are we willing to have anther 5 seasons of this? And if a new coach comes the systems change. Means juniors we have coming through may also start again. Don’t get me wrong I’m like all you displeased with our results. But I believe Gus is managing it. And putting systems in place to support not our success for one win here or there. But ongoing success like he did at the riff it’s difficult but let’s keep supporting and we will be back there hopefully sooner than later
Understand times have changed but look at someone like Bellamy, at the end of the day, he sets expectations and bases his entire philosophy on effort, fitness & playing to his players strengths - they are 3 fundamental aspects of coaching TB does not employ.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Understand times have changed but look at someone like Bellamy, at the end of the day, he sets expectations and bases his entire philosophy on effort, fitness & playing to his players strengths - they are 3 fundamental aspects of coaching TB does not employ.
100% write. But how long did it take Melbourne to set those systems up. They weren’t built over night. And they used the bulldogs blueprint of wave after wave of good players around 3 to 4 key players. Exactly what Gus is trying to build

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
100% write. But how long did it take Melbourne to set those systems up. They weren’t built over night. And they used the bulldogs blueprint of wave after wave of good players around 3 to 4 key players. Exactly what Gus is trying to build
Did you just misspell ‘right’ as ‘write’?
I’ve now seen it all.