Backrow Next Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone else worried about our Backrow for next year? Besides Ryan, our Backrow seems weak.

Maitua
Te Maari
Kouparitsas
Warburton
And
D. Williams

Now, the majority of those named are good on their day but they when was the last time any of them had a stand out game?

Maitua went downhill ever since he played that one game for Australia he'll have a pretty good game here or there, Te Maari hasn't been the same since he got injured V Warriors last season, Kouparitsis has all the potential in the world but doesn't use it, Danny Williams seems to have vanished off the face of the earth and Warburton is alright I guess. More of a 'workhorse' type of Backrower.

IMO, we need to buy more quality backrowers (If available) ASAP.

srsen

Waterboy
Reaction score
yes, this is true, i agree 100 per cent with everything you said.

but we should remember that Hodgson is coming next year and he is more than capable of playing second row.

Plus if you read between the lines, i think the Dogs know more than they are letting on in regards to recruitment.

Saying that the "right names" will be available before the end of the year tells me that they know something we don't and they are just waiting for the time to come before they strike.

Its blaringly obvious we need another quality backrower but the question is WHO is that "right player" the Dogs are eyeing???

Bulldog Bandit

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our backrow is alot weaker than what it has been in the past thats for sure. The Bulldogs have always been a side that has been feared in the forwards.

Matiua & Ryan are definant starters in the second row. As for Reni well he is a good player when playing in a good side so lets just hope we do well next year.

As for the other guys on the bench most notably Koups & Te mari, there both decent players who have suffered serious injuries so lets just hope they are committed to having a strong off season. Who knows maybe Harrison will get a chance to play in our trial games next year & might impress everyone.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Same backrow as this year and where has it got us?

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ryan- good defender... average in attack
Te Maari- average
Maitua- great player but needs to step up nexy yr
Kouparitis- has good potential but inconsistent

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think with a good off season DannyWilliams would go good as a 2nd rower instead of prop

berryman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i think our back row would be much better next season running off kimmorley and ennis. there has been a number of reasons why players havent performed this season. with a good off season and a positive influence from our new signings i think our back row could be one of the stronger ones of the competition like last season...
i'd probably like to see
11. ryan
12. te maari
13. maitua
14. warburton
15. kouparitsas (playing utility role)

K

KL

when the backrow doenst have to pick up the slack from having such a useless front row they will back to their best.

I seem to remember everyone getting all wet when we re-signed Lee t and koups at the begining of this season.

the hound

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
you can add yileen gordon to the list of backrowers and the dogs are on the lookout for another.

so with;

ryan
maitua
tee maari - has his days
daniel harrison - going to be a gun
koups - needs to really find some consistency
yileen gordon - unknown quantity, all reports suggest he has been in some good from for the bears, not first grade but he definetley has ability.

warburton, danny williams as back up

with some of the other young blokes coming through provided not to much injury might be alright.

midas

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i think it was more important to strengthen the front row first which they have with Hannant, Ennis and Hodgson

however, the back row is a problem with Ryan and Maitua the only really quality tested players

Te Maari showed promise early but fell away... is a liability in defence as well

Kouparitsas very erratic... can do good things but then can be crap

Warburton lacks the physicality to make an impact

hopefully, a couple of the younger players can step up (eg. Harrison)

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I seem to remember everyone getting all wet when we re-signed Lee t and koups at the begining of this season.
Because they have the world at their feet and don't live up to it.

I would kill to see the Te Maari pre Warriors injury back. He was easily one of our best PLAYERS let alone Backrowers when in form.

However, I will give Kouparitsis the benefit of the doubt as he had a major injury and still finding his feet somewhat.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
i think it was more important to strengthen the front row first which they have with Hannant, Ennis and Hodgson
Front row is not a problem next season IMO. Hannant, Hickey, Kite, Hodgson and Tsoulos. (Possibly C. Armit too)

For once in a long time, our front row is fine and our backrow needs a tune up. It use to rain Backrowers in Belmore.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As Yesterday's News said, without all the pressure from a weak front row like we have had this year, the second row will have more rrom to move and operate.

With Hodgson, Hannant, Hickey, Tsolous and Kite surely providing more go forward than Hickey, Morrin, Armit, Briggs and Leano & co. and with Ennis and Noddy providing much better direction, kicking games and options than Holdsworth. then our second row will have alot more room to operate as I said and won't have to try and run as props, but rather could do their work on the fringes like they should.

Reni is still very inconsistent, Bobcat looks tired, Lee T has improved and ran hard. Koops shows some glimpses but is getting over his injury, Warburton is a tackling machine but offers little in attack and Harrison is certainly FG quality but will probably only be played off the bench for a while to get used to the NRL. Winterstein and the rest are OK, and may improve, but really wouldn't figure at this stage.

But that is this year. After the off season this could be the scenario:

So perhaps we do need some signings in that department, but if Reni can stay on the field and be consistent he is a rep player, with a better team around him Bobcat will be fresher and be able to be rejuvinated, Lee T can find some consistency and get the errors out of his game, if Koops can overcome his injury and show the from from 07 I think he is a rep player, Warburton is a workhorse who will only improve from this experience and will bulk up and Harrison is a future NRL rep second rower, the kid has it all in regards to second rowers, it is just a matter of when he will be ready for FG.

So it all depends on which way things pan out, if everyone has a good off season and if all of our new signings plus having the General back (massive difference) provide more stablity and the front row give us more go forward. For the reasons I listed above I think that will be the case and I think that we should be fine in that area.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone else worried about our Backrow for next year? Besides Ryan, our Backrow seems weak.

Maitua
Te Maari
Kouparitsas
Warburton
And
D. Williams

Now, the majority of those named are good on their day but they when was the last time any of them had a stand out game?

Maitua went downhill ever since he played that one game for Australia he'll have a pretty good game here or there, Te Maari hasn't been the same since he got injured V Warriors last season, Kouparitsis has all the potential in the world but doesn't use it, Danny Williams seems to have vanished off the face of the earth and Warburton is alright I guess. More of a 'workhorse' type of Backrower.

IMO, we need to buy more quality backrowers (If available) ASAP.
i think Idris would suit a position in the pack

Malla

Reaction score
Idris played his junior footy in the back row. I expect him to slot in after a few seasons.

MANNIX

Black Dog
Reaction score
Ryan
Koups
Maitua
LTM
Harrison
Winterstein
Warburton
Williams
Gordon - if signed
Ma'afu
Cleal - if staying
Vicelich

There are a few names there - they just need to pull their fingers out.

Now is the time to impress as there is no marque 2nd rowers in front of them.

They can really make a name for themselves next year.

Step up boys............

srsen

Waterboy
Reaction score
Yes i agree, Idris could VERY EASILY be our new number 11, he may just need some time to toughen up to first grade standard.

But until then there IS a hole that SBW left.

I say Hodgson to partner Ryan until Idris is ready

Status
Not open for further replies.