Backended contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We also had perrett sign a 4 year deal and get shipped out. But you will have to think that’s over? Would be insulting if we are still paying that.

We also have abbey (who was on 350k) lee too. So it’s not too straight forward.

Looking at it from outside in you would think ok we cleared so much space. We should have something in the bank moving forward. But I’m sure there is so much more shit we don’t know about.

And I still think the 3rd party deals that were removed have an effect on things too (I know people say they can’t be guaranteed, but I’m sure dib the slimey prick had a way to do something dodgy).

Anyways. Let’s not forget lichaa metaphorically wasn’t paid this year to fit in. So he will get his 2 years worth next year.

Salary cap wise it would be a huge mess. Shame the nrl can’t step in deregister all the duds that played a part, ban them from ever being associated with the game again and assist somehow. Not sure how having one of the 4-5 biggest teams in the league with over a million fans struggle for 3 years helps the game and the brand.

How parra, storm, st George got back so fast from systemic breaching and bankruptcy (with nrl stepping in with grants). Yeh a club that was fucked sideways and tries to rebuild is going to be fuckec for half a decade. To the point where all their best players will be sold to get a reserve grade team on the park.

NRL should have stopped many of these contracts to begin with.
Agree as I mentioned weeks ago but people on here keep saying it’s only the clubs fault. Nrl is also to blame and should not allow a club to get to this point. Isn’t this crap publicity for the nrl. Sorry but any wonder afl is slowly taking over in Sydney. Nrl sitting on its hands allowing this rubbish to happen.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
There are a number of players who can earn additional sponsorship $$ in addition to the cap. I can’t recall the exact amount. These are often also referred to as TPAs as well and are the amounts which people talk about in the context of being guaranteed
That number is ZERO. You can't earn any money arranged by the club that is not counted towards the cap. The TPA's have to be completely separate and technically the players aren't allowed to even wear club gear when they do things for that money. They also aren't supposed to even talk about footy....... that's the rules at least...... There may be a loophole with respect to TV and radio work because that is done under the encouragement of the NRL but if you get money from any source arranged by the club it is part of your contract.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate, how many times do you have to be told, we don't have hardly anything in TPA's and never have had. It's all in your imagination.
I was told by staff at the bulldogs and a director back when they had a forum before the election that Dib was responsible for the TPAs and if not reelected would have trouble getting more. I told them Dib is finished anyway and I’m sure this can continue without him. So tpas were there then.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That number is ZERO. You can't earn any money arranged by the club that is not counted towards the cap. The TPA's have to be completely separate and technically the players aren't allowed to even wear club gear when they do things for that money. They also aren't supposed to even talk about footy....... that's the rules at least...... There may be a loophole with respect to TV and radio work because that is done under the encouragement of the NRL but if you get money from any source arranged by the club it is part of your contract.
You’re right. The sponsorship arrangements were scrapped some time ago - I just looked it up.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What players can earn outside the salary cap:
Other Benefits - Tertiary education fees, approved traineeships, medical insurance costs, relocation/temporary accommodation costs are not included in the cap but must be approved./
That's how the Roosters got Cronk right? Somehow he has qualified for admission to maybe the hardest university to get into and they are paying his tuition.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I was told by staff at the bulldogs and a director back when they had a forum before the election that Dib was responsible for the TPAs and if not reelected would have trouble getting more. I told them Dib is finished anyway and I’m sure this can continue without him. So tpas were there then.
Yes mate, but people on here think its millions, it's not its only a few hundred grand in total. We've never had big money in TPA's despite what others may have been told. BTW if Dib was responsible for them then they would be illegal.......

the biggest TPA's are the Broncos, Rorters and Souffs in that order with the Broncos being around $2m and Souffs prob around $1.2m. We are way way behind all of them.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Mate, how many times do you have to be told, we don't have hardly anything in TPA's and never have had. It's all in your imagination.
LOL ... just LOL ... Is that top secret inside information that only you know??

We used to have substantial TPAs. That is a fact.

One of our forum members here used to provide one.

BUT the club couldn't guarantee TPAs - it's illegal.
The CLUB cannot organise them. In other words the Football Club cannot organise them for the player.

Directors of either, and Leagues Club can however. That's the loophole and how Roosters and others make it work.

Examples:
NOT ALLOWED: Club calls around and secures Nike who want to sponsor a player for a TPA.
ALLOWED: Nike call the club and want to sponsor a player for a TPA.
ALLOWED: Director calls a business associate and offers a discount on their services in exchange for that company offering a player a TPA.

TPA's have to be what they call "at arms length", which means the club cannot be directly engaged in them, but that's it.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree as I mentioned weeks ago but people on here keep saying it’s only the clubs fault. Nrl is also to blame and should not allow a club to get to this point. Isn’t this crap publicity for the nrl. Sorry but any wonder afl is slowly taking over in Sydney. Nrl sitting on its hands allowing this rubbish to happen.
Yeh exactly. How you register contracts and see in 3-4 years time the team will be 2-3 million over the cap yet you sit on your hands.

It’s either the nrl are so stupid that they don’t actually know what’s registered. Or. Actually that must be the reason. Easily the most unprofessionally run professional sport in Australia.

I mean how could arl fuck up so much that 25 years ago half the teams split to form another league. I could never imagine NBA, EPL, la liga etc. have that occurring (fair enough it happened with basketball 40 years ago but that was before it was professional). And there is even talk of it happening again.....

Nrl should do more to help us out. I mean they bent over backwards to help a cheating parra her under the cap to play for points 2 years ago. Yet we just have to struggle for 3-4 years.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL ... just LOL ... Is that top secret inside information that only you know??

We used to have substantial TPAs. That is a fact.

One of our forum members here used to provide one.

The CLUB cannot organise them. In other words the Football Club cannot organise them for the player.

Directors of either, and Leagues Club can however. That's the loophole and how Roosters and others make it work.

Examples:
NOT ALLOWED: Club calls around and secures Nike who want to sponsor a player for a TPA.
ALLOWED: Nike call the club and want to sponsor a player for a TPA.
ALLOWED: Director calls a business associate and offers a discount on their services in exchange for that company offering a player a TPA.

TPA's have to be what they call "at arms length", which means the club cannot be directly engaged in them, but that's it.
Dude he may have provided one but I can guarantee you it wasn't worth the millions you seem to think it was worth. Top secret? Hardly, there were a few of us there when the person told us about the TPA's we and the other clubs have. You might have been able to go as well had you bothered to do more than sit in your loungeroom and dream up stuff. It's one of the benefits of actually stumping up instead of sitting on your bed waving you bulldogs flag at the TV.

You cite examples of what is and isn't allowed as though you know something about it. There can be no link between the club and the third party so point three is a breach. Point 2 is also a breach because the club has to have nothing to do with it. The organisation has to ring the players manager and make an offer. the offer has to be completely divorced from their playing issues.

So that means companies like Parkview can't sponsor a player as they are building the leagues club and the footy club controls the leagues club.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes mate, but people on here think its millions, it's not its only a few hundred grand in total. We've never had big money in TPA's despite what others may have been told. BTW if Dib was responsible for them then they would be illegal.......

the biggest TPA's are the Broncos, Rorters and Souffs in that order with the Broncos being around $2m and Souffs prob around $1.2m. We are way way behind all of them.
Looks like he was from what I was told. And to be honest you take what people say to you as being the truth unless proven otherwise. It was a big thing before the election many had said to me of authority Dib is reponsible for tpas and if he goes we lose them. So they must have been there.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeh exactly. How you register contracts and see in 3-4 years time the team will be 2-3 million over the cap yet you sit on your hands.

It’s either the nrl are so stupid that they don’t actually know what’s registered. Or. Actually that must be the reason. Easily the most unprofessionally run professional sport in Australia.

I mean how could arl fuck up so much that 25 years ago half the teams split to form another league. I could never imagine NBA, EPL, la liga etc. have that occurring (fair enough it happened with basketball 40 years ago but that was before it was professional). And there is even talk of it happening again.....

Nrl should do more to help us out. I mean they bent over backwards to help a cheating parra her under the cap to play for points 2 years ago. Yet we just have to struggle for 3-4 years.
Well said. So true..... we don’t seem to get any help from the nrl at all, then again I guess we had enough incompetence we dont need any more.They have to be the worst run organisation in this country. Now being lead by an incompetent Beattie who sent Queensland broke now and looking after the nrl which is a basket case. They can shove it

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's how the Roosters got Cronk right? Somehow he has qualified for admission to maybe the hardest university to get into and they are paying his tuition.
He's studying at the uncle nick university in bondi. Heard he's going for his degree in accounting images (2).jpeg

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Dude he may have provided one but I can guarantee you it wasn't worth the millions you seem to think it was worth. Top secret? Hardly, there were a few of us there when the person told us about the TPA's we and the other clubs have. You might have been able to go as well had you bothered to do more than sit in your loungeroom and dream up stuff. It's one of the benefits of actually stumping up instead of sitting on your bed waving you bulldogs flag at the TV.

You cite examples of what is and isn't allowed as though you know something about it. There can be no link between the club and the third party so point three is a breach. Point 2 is also a breach because the club has to have nothing to do with it. The organisation has to ring the players manager and make an offer. the offer has to be completely divorced from their playing issues.

So that means companies like Parkview can't sponsor a player as they are building the leagues club and the footy club controls the leagues club.
There are apparently 5 different types of TPAs available, and not all need to be signed off by the NRL. It's not as black and white as you claim it.

Players are allowed to receive money, goods and services outside the salary cap via a legal TPA. TPAs cannot be sourced from clubs or their sponsors, but clubs can introduce prospective TPA providers to player managers.
“In relation to TPAs, the managers do all the work and sign the agreement. We (the club) are just the conduit that makes introductions,” one club chief executive said.

It seems a simple process but the Parramatta salary cap saga has shown there is a possibility to subvert the rules. The two most common ways of doing have been keeping payments/services secret, or overinflating invoices from a club supplier so an amount is shaved off and paid to the player.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are apparently 5 different types of TPAs available, and not all need to be signed off by the NRL. It's not as black and white as you claim it.

Players are allowed to receive money, goods and services outside the salary cap via a legal TPA. TPAs cannot be sourced from clubs or their sponsors, but clubs can introduce prospective TPA providers to player managers.
“In relation to TPAs, the managers do all the work and sign the agreement. We (the club) are just the conduit that makes introductions,” one club chief executive said.

It seems a simple process but the Parramatta salary cap saga has shown there is a possibility to subvert the rules. The two most common ways of doing have been keeping payments/services secret, or overinflating invoices from a club supplier so an amount is shaved off and paid to the player.
Isn’t the whole purpose of TPA’s that the NRL doesn’t limit a player’s earning potential? So if Adidas wants to pay Klemmer $500k a year then that’s fine but it has nothing to do with his playing contract or the club

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Looks like he was from what I was told. And to be honest you take what people say to you as being the truth unless proven otherwise. It was a big thing before the election many had said to me of authority Dib is reponsible for tpas and if he goes we lose them. So they must have been there.
I guess it comes down to interpretation. Him steering some business clients in the direction of player managers is a lot different to him organising things. Even so whatever he may or may not have done it still didn't amount to much because we simply don't have players on big bikkies through TPA's. They are on relative peanuts.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn’t the whole purpose of TPA’s that the NRL doesn’t limit a player’s earning potential? So if Adidas wants to pay Klemmer $500k a year then that’s fine but it has nothing to do with his playing contract or the club
Yes that is true, but it has to be at the behest of Adidas not the club who may have Adidas gear. Also, in your example, Klemm can't parade around in his dogs gear selling adidas clothing. If you think about it do you recall ever seeing a current FG player selling something on TV? I can't think of anyone who does it. That is because the TPA's don't allow it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
And now for a version we can all understand lol...

(Deleted the Spanish version :grinning:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
WOW.. if Billy Slater is drinking Gatorade and hes fit, it must be good for me too :D

Dakdah

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think you will find Klemmer and Jackson are both heavily back ended for the next 2 years.

Back ended contracts are banned in the AFL. They should be banned in the NRL as well. There is no need for them whatsoever
This

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
NRL is the worst run organization in Australian sport!!
Sucking on the teat of betting agencies.
The worst most bogan media partners possible.
A joke of a salary cap.
And these ridiculous TPA.
Super league mark 2 required to take the game back from this corrupt incompetent bunch of fuckwits.

Status
Not open for further replies.