Backended contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the last 18 months,we have parted company with almost half our first grade side,so this been the case,and that 5 of those players finish agreements with our club,as of November 1,the Morris boys are of contract,Eastwood,is gone,there would only be maybe 3 or 4 left from Hasler days,how is this a catastrophic situation,I don't think you need to be an accountant to figure out,the situation at our club is not as serious as the media is making out,our ceo came out recently to say we are back in the market,I'm more likely to believe him,than those so called experts in the media,who don't fucken like us,and never had anything good to say about our club.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the last 18 months,we have parted company with almost half our first grade side,so this been the case,and that 5 of those players finish agreements with our club,as of November 1,the Morris boys are of contract,Eastwood,is gone,there would only be maybe 3 or 4 left from Hasler days,how is this a catastrophic situation,I don't think you need to be an accountant to figure out,the situation at our club is not as serious as the media is making out,our ceo came out recently to say we are back in the market,I'm more likely to believe him,than those so called experts in the media,who don't fucken like us,and never had anything good to say about our club.
I think you will find Klemmer and Jackson are both heavily back ended for the next 2 years.

Back ended contracts are banned in the AFL. They should be banned in the NRL as well. There is no need for them whatsoever

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think you will find Klemmer and Jackson are both heavily back ended for the next 2 years.

Back ended contracts are banned in the AFL. They should be banned in the NRL as well. There is no need for them whatsoever
Unless they have 1m increases every year it doesn’t add up

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless they have 1m increases every year it doesn’t add up
We are paying a chunk for Woods and Mbye next year. Maybe still Graham and Kasiano (I am not sure)

Yes we are back in the market but not for elite players. I think you will find Jackson and Klemmer are probably on around $900k next year and Foran on $1 million.

We budgeted for $10.4 million for 2019 and 2020. The cap was set at $9.4 million. Thats where the problems have arisen

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We are paying a chunk for Woods and Mbye next year. Maybe still Graham and Kasiano (I am not sure)

Yes we are back in the market but not for elite players. I think you will find Jackson and Klemmer are probably on around $900k next year and Foran on $1 million.

We budgeted for $10.4 million for 2019 and 2020. The cap was set at $9.4 million. Thats where the problems have arisen
If you can spread out 6mil across the remaining 27 players I’ll give you 1 million dollars

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why is this news?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This topic has been done to death in so many threads. There's stuff which isn't transparent like ratchet clauses etc. People need to stop looking at it like its all very simple. If it was the club would be out there signing players.

Also who knows what Hasler paid duds like Elliott and how much he overpaid his mates like Hoppa and Foran.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agree,but apart from those 2 and maybe 1 other,not much

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Klemmer, Jackson, Hoppa, RFM, Elliot, Holland, Tolman, Fualalo, Montoya no doubt on back ended deals...…. and seeing that Eastwood is on $800,000+ this year fuck knows what some of these guys are on

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We also had perrett sign a 4 year deal and get shipped out. But you will have to think that’s over? Would be insulting if we are still paying that.

We also have abbey (who was on 350k) lee too. So it’s not too straight forward.

Looking at it from outside in you would think ok we cleared so much space. We should have something in the bank moving forward. But I’m sure there is so much more shit we don’t know about.

And I still think the 3rd party deals that were removed have an effect on things too (I know people say they can’t be guaranteed, but I’m sure dib the slimey prick had a way to do something dodgy).

Anyways. Let’s not forget lichaa metaphorically wasn’t paid this year to fit in. So he will get his 2 years worth next year.

Salary cap wise it would be a huge mess. Shame the nrl can’t step in deregister all the duds that played a part, ban them from ever being associated with the game again and assist somehow. Not sure how having one of the 4-5 biggest teams in the league with over a million fans struggle for 3 years helps the game and the brand.

How parra, storm, st George got back so fast from systemic breaching and bankruptcy (with nrl stepping in with grants). Yeh a club that was fucked sideways and tries to rebuild is going to be fuckec for half a decade. To the point where all their best players will be sold to get a reserve grade team on the park.

NRL should have stopped many of these contracts to begin with.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
We may not have any backended contracts left, but that doesn't mean we have cap space.

If TPAs promised to players have fallen through, the money we saved by releasing players could well be accounted for in buffering lost TPAs to players.

The more TPAs the less the club contributes from the cap to the players salary.

The more I think about it, the more I reckon this is whats going on (but the club would NEVER admit this).

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We may not have any backended contracts left, but that doesn't mean we have cap space.

If TPAs promised to players have fallen through, the money we saved by releasing players could well be accounted for in buffering lost TPAs to players.

The more I think about it, the more I reckon this is whats going on (but the club would NEVER admit this).
Mate, how many times do you have to be told, we don't have hardly anything in TPA's and never have had. It's all in your imagination.

berries62

Waterboy
Reaction score

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

BUT the club couldn't guarantee TPAs - it's illegal.

berries62

Waterboy
Reaction score
l'm going to start a chant …… bring back dib...bring back dib......ing....

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUT the club couldn't guarantee TPAs - it's illegal.
There are a number of players who can earn additional sponsorship $$ in addition to the cap. I can’t recall the exact amount. These are often also referred to as TPAs as well and are the amounts which people talk about in the context of being guaranteed

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There are a number of players who can earn additional sponsorship $$ in addition to the cap. I can’t recall the exact amount. These are often also referred to as TPAs as well and are the amounts which people talk about in the context of being guaranteed
What players can earn outside the salary cap:

$100,000 - Motor Vehicle Allowance – a maximum amount of five motor vehicles may be provided to players in the Top 30 outside of the salary cap. (Valued at $20,000 each).

Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved by both a Player’s Club and the NRL. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.

Other Benefits - Tertiary education fees, approved traineeships, medical insurance costs, relocation/temporary accommodation costs are not included in the cap but must be approved.

https://www.nrl.com/operations/the-game/the-salary-cap/

Status
Not open for further replies.