Averillo to Centre?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was thinking before the comp started if we weren't playing him at fb.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Avo should have gone to T-baz and asked for a shot at FB while the position was open. The moment Dufty signed I don't see much of a future in our team for Avo. The other thing I don't understand is the love affair for him when he's had 1 good game? How did he earn such lee-way when other's haven't?

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Persevere with Averillo in the halves. I'd expect him to partner Burton next year, given he has held his position at 7 this year.
This is my thoughts exactly. With Burton coming and locking down the 6, Bazz is trying to reach Avo the 7 Role hence why he has been in this position all year. We still need an experienced and organising Half which is why I can understand the rumours around Pearcey

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Many say that centre is the hardest position to play defence, there's scheming halves inside you, 2nd rowers trying to run straight over you, opposition centres running inside and outside lines at you and wingers trying to beat with you with pace on the outside. Averillo at this stage of his career is simply not remotely close to being able to defend at centre, he would get destroyed, physically and confidence wise. Maybe he will be ready in a couple years and maybe not, he may never be able to handle the defensive decisions that a centre has to make many times in a game. Let alone the physical load that it takes to defend against the smallest, tallest, smartest, fastest and most athletic opposition coming at you from 3 directions, often at the same time.

Always a Bulldog

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Many say that centre is the hardest position to play defence, there's scheming halves inside you, 2nd rowers trying to run straight over you, opposition centres running inside and outside lines at you and wingers trying to beat with you with pace on the outside. Averillo at this stage of his career is simply not remotely close to being able to defend at centre, he would get destroyed, physically and confidence wise. Maybe he will be ready in a couple years and maybe not, he may never be able to handle the defensive decisions that a centre has to make many times in a game. Let alone the physical load that it takes to defend against the smallest, tallest, smartest, fastest and most athletic opposition coming at you from 3 directions, often at the same time.

Always a Bulldog
Plus on top of that as a centre your usually are there alone so most of the time it's a one on one tackle.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I also don’t think he’s an ideal 14, sure he covers some positions, but you want that player to be a high energy/impact player who can change a game and I don’t see him as that at all.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His ONLY strength / asset is his side step. He's a finisher, not a creator. He'll never be up there in the stats for try assists.

I don't know why some keep saying he's a fullback either (like they've watched him play). Does he have a passing game ? Not that we've seen even while playing in the halves. Can he organise the defensive line from fullback ? Is he any good at catching bombs ? Is he any good at chiming into the backline and backing up half breaks ? Haven't seen it. Is he any good at saving tries ? Is he a livewire like a Tedesco always around the ball ? Definitely not.

He doesn't get involved enough to be a half either. Again no passing game, average kicking game.

He does seem to be a very good goal kicker though so may need to be in our starting 13. It's either centre or wing if we want him in our starting 13 for his linebreak (step) ability and for his goal kicking. Schoupp is strong but I don't think he has the linebreak ability to create something from nothing that Averillo has. Averillo just needs to learn how to tackle better. He should get a few tips from Lewis.
I agree I think his best position is at 14 a utility who can cover multiple positions other then that I really don’t know he surely can’t partner Burton in the halves next year if we are going to be competitive

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No doubt this kid should be playing in the spine... Should be throwing everything at him to play FB as its probably better for him and club.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree I think his best position is at 14 a utility who can cover multiple positions other then that I really don’t know he surely can’t partner Burton in the halves next year if we are going to be competitive
BBO Has honestly shown more promise than Averillo though. I reckon if it’s not centre then NSW Cup. I don’t trust him to steer the team round the park.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I reckon its between him & allan for one centre spot. I think the club will either give flanagan or bbo a shot to prove themselves in the off season or find someone in the transfer market to recruit.

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lets see whether Avo or Lewis has a better final 6/7 weeks of the season. That man should partner Burton in the halves next year. So if Lewis has a better final stint wtf wouldn't we offer him a 1 year contract, just like Dufty?...and move Avo to either a centre or utility role for next season?
I’d still like to see what Averillo has at no.6 when he’s playing behind a pack that is going forward and not perennially on the back foot. Don’t think we have had a chance to see that yet.

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Avo should have gone to T-baz and asked for a shot at FB while the position was open. The moment Dufty signed I don't see much of a future in our team for Avo. The other thing I don't understand is the love affair for him when he's had 1 good game? How did he earn such lee-way when other's haven't?
He is on record saying he wants to be a no.6