Averillo situation

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Been fighting with 90% of the Kennel about this for a few years. Can tell you now, far from everyone knew he was a Fullback [emoji23][emoji23]
Should never have let him sign anywhere else.
Was killing it las year when finally got a run at FB, then got Covid.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can’t keep ‘em all. That will amplify as our pathways restore and we have even more juniors pushing into the NRL which we didn’t for years. Jake is likely a victim in some ways of not having enough junior footy through Covid and I acknowledge he was disrupted by multiple coaches and being tried in multiple positions but he’s been in the NRL since 2020 so has had time to overcome the shortcomings in his game notably defence. If Skeletor can sort that out and take him to the next level then good luck to both parties. In Xerri we should replace Jake’s speed and improve defence for the right price so although not a Dogs junior and yes there’s the ‘drug cheat’ and ‘he hasn’t played for years’ arguments, but I can see why this came together the way it did.
Precisely how it is...
I would've loved to see him stay, unfortunately there are times when unpopular decisions have to be made,
For his sake hopefully Bennett can help him complete his game, if by then we need him I can't see why he wouldn't find his way back home.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Precisely how it is...
I would've loved to see him stay, unfortunately there are times when unpopular decisions have to be made,
For his sake hopefully Bennett can help him complete his game, if by then we need him I can't see why he wouldn't find his way back home.
Possibly. Never say never.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
cmon uce, I know you are the Avo cheerleader on here but he is just an average NRL player. Great runner of the ball, great pace and swerve.Very poor defender, goes missing from the tough stuff and not the greatest hands. He is in no way an ideal FB
Swap Crichton and Averillo and now tell me where both teams sit on the ladder?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like Avo he’s a good kid and shows glimpses of brilliance but he left for the money and nothing more. I don’t blame him I would to if I was I was NOT a top tier player and I knew it and got offered a very nice pay cheque.

Even if we had latrell playing fullback for us last night I truly believe the score line would still be very similar. Our forwards are actually TERRIBLE ( I’m trying to be nice here coz they’re worse than Terrible).
Only TPJ looks NRL quality from our forwards, King had some decent Carrie’s but he’s better coming on from the bench when middles are tired.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Imagine if we played him at fb from rd 1 we would have at least 2 more wins I reckon. Will be interesting to see what happens. Can't see him unseating hammer at fb considering the season he has had and averillo is a lot less effective at ctw. I can see a world were Crichton doesn't work out at fb and averillo is plaing qcup and he finds his way home.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Not pissed at all. It is what it is. Our best player in the first half yesterday. Hope he does well and carves up for the Dolphins. Always sad to let go of a local junior.
I agree, but part of our responsibility as a ‘development club’ is to develop their careers, even if they don’t stay at Belmore. Jake had a few stumbling blocks coming through: covid, multiple coaches and some average talent around him. Poor timing is part of this equation.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can't say that!
It's like Penrith winning the comp in Burton's
Last year there. That was not a hollow victory for them
Or this year with Critta coming to us next year... I don't think all their wins are hollow or even of they win comp again will be a hollow win..

Yeah we are losing Avo... I like him but it's okay... if he plays bad next week you will be saying HOW THANK GOD CRITTA is coming... and how the bulldogs made the right call and how we couldn't waste yet another year trying to find a fullback.
Lol, how is winning some insignificant games anything like winning a premiership. There is no comparison. In hindsight, Who should have always played fullback. He plays it better than any other position and he has played his best games there.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd give Crighton a go over Avo at FB as Crichton consistently plays well in big games and seems to be a magnet for being involved in the defining moments of a big game, but I feel Avo has shown enough where we should have tried harder to keep him especially for his versatility. Just hope it's for a good reason we're losing him, that is a key forward signing or two.

Only early days but very happy so far with what I've seen with Sexton both individually and also for the improvement he will enable for Burton.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
P
Imagine if we played him at fb from rd 1 we would have at least 2 more wins I reckon. Will be interesting to see what happens. Can't see him unseating hammer at fb considering the season he has had and averillo is a lot less effective at ctw. I can see a world were Crichton doesn't work out at fb and averillo is plaing qcup and he finds his way home.
I've said this before, imagine if we had just let him play fb instead of wasting time with him in the halves or centres. He could have had 4 years developing in the position he is good at

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should have played him at fullback this year but I guess at the start of the year they were looking at 24 and were testing if he was worth keeping as a centre. He played great last night but was hardly tested... consistency counts.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fans are fickle. Averillo was poor at FB towards the back of last season. He had a good run around the middle of the season, then really fell away. Those who wanted him to retain the spot were arguing that a pre-season spent training in the position would help him out, but truth is he wasn't doing great at the time.

No doubt he has ability, but it is likely that a spell at centre has helped him out, much like a spell in 7 has helped out Burton. Spending time in a certain related role can open up a players perspective, especially if they find themselves getting cranky at the guy doing the role in their place. They get deeper insights into how to play the role, and what the key 1%ers look like. I hope he goes well with this late shift, but he is going to have a much bigger test in the next few rounds than he did last night.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only TPJ looks NRL quality from our forwards, King had some decent Carrie’s but he’s better coming on from the bench when middles are tired.
That's if TPJ wants to be !

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fans are fickle. Averillo was poor at FB towards the back of last season. He had a good run around the middle of the season, then really fell away. Those who wanted him to retain the spot were arguing that a pre-season spent training in the position would help him out, but truth is he wasn't doing great at the time.

No doubt he has ability, but it is likely that a spell at centre has helped him out, much like a spell in 7 has helped out Burton. Spending time in a certain related role can open up a players perspective, especially if they find themselves getting cranky at the guy doing the role in their place. They get deeper insights into how to play the role, and what the key 1%ers look like. I hope he goes well with this late shift, but he is going to have a much bigger test in the next few rounds than he did last night.
im just pissed cause we had to deal with perham there the whole time. Maybe it’s fair enough we lose him but there’s no way, as far I can see, that perham should have held that spot over avo.

ive been lenient on ciro but this was a fuck up

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The memories on players performances on here is hilarious. Thommo and Avo always seem to have a lot of support despite the multiple terrible performances

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of mammoth proportions.

Umderstand gus has known this kid for a while and actuallu discovered him but fair crack of the whip not a fullback has done some good things but the n again had 17 rounds at it
im just pissed cause we had to deal with perham there the whole time. Maybe it’s fair enough we lose him but there’s no way, as far I can see, that perham should have held that spot over avo.

ive been lenient on ciro but this was a fuck up