Averillo - Finally Found His Spot

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dylan Edwards has proved you dont have to be a flashy centre of attention type to be a successful fg fullback. Avo could emulate Edward's style for sure and maybe even add some added speed.
Averillo doesn’t have the physical attributes to emulate Edwards.He lacks the physical frame & musculature; runs without real purpose or aggression.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve seen enough of Avo. Happy for him to keep the one jersey warm for Creedence or a new signing. Avo is athletic but lacks the footy consistency, mongrel and smarts unfortunately.

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The kid has played one game! Anyone making a comment about how shit he is off that one game is a fucking zeb! Wait 3 games at least. I saw heaps more positives that his mistakes (big or otherwise) he attacked high balls at speed with Kikau charging for every kick and still managed not to get flattened. Just wait and if he still shit after 3-5 games then let’s talk

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The kid has played one game! Anyone making a comment about how shit he is off that one game is a fucking zeb! Wait 3 games at least. I saw heaps more positives that his mistakes (big or otherwise) he attacked high balls at speed with Kikau charging for every kick and still managed not to get flattened. Just wait and if he still shit after 3-5 games then let’s talk
Make it 4 , lichaa fooled everyone and the club with good last 3 games when he was supposed to be punted

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
No it’s Avo’s fault he’s a moron who took a very low percentage option and then threw a shocking pass to sn origin representative who was steaming the ball.

Seriously, nobody was at fault for that moment but Avo. This place is like clown college. Lol

Even Potter pointed out Avo’s dud plays in the presser.
Even still a better player than you and fatboy combined...

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
At the same time a thread about Avo finding his true position after one match at fb, in a loss where he didnt stand out, is also premature.

I know we are short of options but Avo doesnt fill me with confidence at fb. What he needs, is to drop back to reserves, and play in one position and get good at it. Right now hes the jack of all trades, but master of none. Tbh i prefer Dufty at fb, hes faster and has more x factor, and his defence isnt any worse than Avo at fb. Only reason he wont cop shit like Dufty is more is expected from Dufty who is on more pay and has more experience. No, not saying Dufty is fantastic, saying Avo isnt better than him at fb.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I came to the conclusion last year when it was obvious he wasn't a half that his current traits would suit either centre or FB, more so FB. He seems very timid or atleast is on the field. In traffic he doesn't have time to use his attributes. These are, size, speed and a step. Almost reminds me of an Inglis type player, BUT I'M NOT SAYING HE IS LOL.

For me, if anything FB would allow him time to see where the defensive line is, time to pick the broken part and the speed and step to aim for it. I'm not saying he will triumph there, it's just his best bet as I se it and what have we got to lose at this point?

His first handle the other night from the kick, his instincts took over and he stepped straight away to avoid the tackle, there was little time to do so that's his strength. He seemed to beat the first tackler about 3 or 4 times the other night and he looked promising. I would definitely give him more time to see if he can give it a crack. It also allows him free reign to back up and get involved anywhere. Also gives him the distance from behind to watch the opposition and read the play better.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
At the same time a thread about Avo finding his true position after one match at fb, in a loss where he didnt stand out, is also premature.

I know we are short of options but Avo doesnt fill me with confidence at fb. What he needs, is to drop back to reserves, and play in one position and get good at it. Right now hes the jack of all trades, but master of none. Tbh i prefer Dufty at fb, hes faster and has more x factor, and his defence isnt any worse than Avo at fb. Only reason he wont cop shit like Dufty is more is expected from Dufty who is on more pay and has more experience. No, not saying Dufty is fantastic, saying Avo isnt better than him at fb.
Didn't let a bomb bounce, actually made a last man tackle and defused a grubber...that makes him better than Dufty :tearsofjoy:

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Because they've made up their mind on him and that's that, what he actually does doesn't matter in their mind. You then get comments targeted at him with no genuine criticism, focus completely on negatives our straight up lies.
I guess it’s slightly different in the way that you struggle to praise Burton and more likely to speak of him in a negative way.

Just saying.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way he attacked the ball on his first kick return was outstanding, attacked the ball, then made a 40m run. Yes he ran himself out, and should of stepped back in. But he created an opportunity. That will come with experience. Give him a shot.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope avo works out at full back but I’m still scared from mybe having a turn at full back vs Melbourne some good runs but a few games later showed nothing

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I guess it’s slightly different in the way that you struggle to praise Burton and more likely to speak of him in a negative way.

Just saying.
What? I rate Burton, I just don't agree that we should be throwing the bank at him or that it's the end of the world if we lose him. He has a lot of development left to do and he just isn't going to get there unless we address key issues within the squad and coaching staff. I'm seeing people talking 800k+ for him, then also saying we need to sign a halfback, fullback, fucking Haas, this fucking ****, etc. Where is all this money coming from? We need more Mahoney type signings, players that are polished and established in their roles and will have an immediate impact on the squad so players like Burton can actually develop and potentially get up to that tier of player. I'd chop of dick off for an established playmaker right now, Broncos and Cowboys have shown us that's exactly what you got to do to turn things around quickly in todays game.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Just saying.
That’s exactly why I hammered Averillo and spoke of him in a negative way even though I think both Avo and Burto have a lot of untapped potential. The difference in the arguments is that Marley will make excuses for Avo because of poor coaching/development and a decrease in confidence playing in a crap team with crap development but won’t make the same excuse for Burto for the same reasons who hasn’t played 5/8th in 2 years because of Covid in 2020 and playing in the centers for Penrith last year. He just likes going against the grain. But I do like a lot of his insights regarding the way the game is played. Plus I got the shits with him because he doesn’t want to hang out [emoji23]

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What? I rate Burton, I just don't agree that we should be throwing the bank at him or that it's the end of the world if we lose him. He has a lot of development left to do and he just isn't going to get there unless we address key issues within the squad and coaching staff. I'm seeing people talking 800k+ for him, then also saying we need to sign a halfback, fullback, fucking Haas, this fucking ****, etc. Where is all this money coming from? We need more Mahoney type signings, players that are polished and established in their roles and will have an immediate impact on the squad so players like Burton can actually develop and potentially get up to that tier of player. I'd chop of dick off for an established playmaker right now, Broncos and Cowboys have shown us that's exactly what you got to do to turn things around quickly in todays game.
Sign Mitchell Peacre problem solved.

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Okay fair enough and I agree with all you say other than Burton’s price tag. If it means that we have to fork out 800K plus to secure then I’m all for it. When you consider the ridiculous money that players such as Thompson, Jackson and plodder Flanagan are on it’s a no brainer for mine. He has so much upside to his game and his capacity for future development is enormous. He has it all - speed, strength, agility, step, vision, versatility, vision even a handy goal kicker. He has it all. He’s already established a great combination with the FOX which compares with the best halves of the modern era. The poor bloke is having to take the responsibility of both halfback and 5/8 and making a real fist of it. In a few years he’ll be in the top 2-3 players in the comp on a consistent basis no question.