Australian Political Discussion Thread 3.0

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
New Australian Political Discussion Thread. Try to keep any Australian political stuff in here.

As per usual, keep the discussion civil. Turning this thread into a abuse fest could result in reply bans, and forum bans.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What did I miss?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cuts are still going ahead, just not as much for people earning over $180,000 from $9000 down to $5000 tax cuts.

Poor bastards, thinking of starting a gofund me for them.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not federal, but NSW gov have announced that they've scrapped stamp duty for first home buyers for houses under $800k, and drastically reduced it for houses under $1 mil.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Cuts are still going ahead, just not as much for people earning over $180,000 from $9000 down to $5000 tax cuts.

Poor bastards, thinking of starting a gofund me for them.
That explains why Sky News and Daily Telegraph are the ones losing their shit. Imagine how difficult it will be for them to buy a small island now.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
$180 000 isn’t a big wage anymore. The cuts were promised and should be honoured. Same as power bills were coming down. Regardless they were passed by parliament.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
$180 000 isn’t a big wage anymore. The cuts were promised and should be honoured. Same as power bills were coming down. Regardless they were passed by parliament.
Still getting cuts.

So no broken promise.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not federal, but NSW gov have announced that they've scrapped stamp duty for first home buyers for houses under $800k, and drastically reduced it for houses under $1 mil.
That’s a good policy. When I first purchased it was up to $500 000. Good to hear it has gone up

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
If stage 3 isn’t honoured in its entirety yes it is a broken promise.
We'll park the broken promise bit - he agreed not to change them. So its not like this was something they promised to do, it was something they promised not to change.

For the last 12 months - every man and his dog has asked the government to do something about cost of living pressures. The supposed changes mean that low-middle income earners get a bit of extra cash in their pocket to help with the cost of living. And noting the cost of living is mainly driven by inflation generated by a range of offshore factors.

In 2022, people earning above $180k/yr made up 3.5% of Australia. I will guarantee not front line person, nurses, ambos, police, firies etc is earning above $180k. They are not even earning $150k and in some instances less than $100k.

The benefit would have been around $4500 a year for the $200 club. Reckon they can afford it.

So yes - could be termed as a broken promise. Could also be termed as circumstances change. And the outcome of this is a better outcome for the people who really need it. That's of course if it gets through.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Albanese government does another backflip!
How many times a week do these flops backflip?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Albanese government does another backflip!
How many times a week do these flops backflip?
It’s a massive lie. Whilst I doubt will hurt him as he’s numbers are quite high, it’s more the constant lie, even up until last week that nothing will change. He should have owned it a lot sooner. Chalmers will be in a spin trying to talk this one out

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s a massive lie. Whilst I doubt will hurt him as he’s numbers are quite high, it’s more the constant lie, even up until last week that nothing will change. He should have owned it a lot sooner. Chalmers will be in a spin trying to talk this one out
They need to find ways to pretend they're looking out for the poor and middle class, while at the same time keeping their puppet masters rich!