Australia or new zealand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
I get and understand the whole ANZAC history, and im all for an the Tasman test, but gee wouldn't it be great to see an AUSTRALIA vs. PACIFIC match. I mean, how do these players feel about singing another country's national anthem. And yes I do realise counties like Samoa and Fiji have teams but it's not about the players I'm talking about, it's about identity, my brother in law is Samoan and follows the Warriors, but don't dare call him a Kiwi. Thoughts?..

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I get and understand the whole ANZAC history, and im all for an the Tasman test, but gee wouldn't it be great to see an AUSTRALIA vs. PACIFIC match. I mean, how do these players feel about singing another country's national anthem. And yes I do realise counties like Samoa and Fiji have teams but it's not about the players I'm talking about, it's about identity, my brother in law is Samoan and follows the Warriors, but don't dare call him a Kiwi. Thoughts?..
You obviously don't know much about NZ then. Most islanders these days are born over here and grow up and develop over here. FMD some people think they come straight off the boat and into a black jersey.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
I'd love to see a Pacific All Star team but it's tricky.

And the thing is Islanders and Kiwis or Aussies can identify with more than one country. I know Nigel Vagana is so proud to have represented New Zealand because he's Kiwi but also so proud to have captained Samoa in the World Cup because he is Samoan and his parents were born in Samoa.

I don't have a problem with Islanders repping more than one country, as long as that country makes sense. Can't see how guys like Kasiano and Te'o can proudly rep QLD when they're Kiwi Samoans.

I think it was Vagana who suggested that there should be differently tiered countries. So Aus and NZ are Tier 1 and the Islands/Lebanon/wherever are Tier 2. If a player eligible for both tiers doesn't get selected in a tier 1 country, he can still play for tier 2. Guys like Pritchard/Kasiano etc are just as Kiwi as they are Samoan and guys like Farah, El Masri, Mannah are just as Aussie as they are Leb. They should be allowed to rep both, and free to rep the smaller countries if they aren't selected for Aus or NZ.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
You obviously don't know much about NZ then. Most islanders these days are born over here and grow up and develop over here. FMD some people think they come straight off the boat and into a black jersey.
Book mate, my point was not the players but rather the team name, why does it have to be the "KIWIS"?...not everybody in the New Zealand team is from there. It really should be "PACIFIC" or "OCEANS". Really you can't see my point?..

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
I understand New Zealand is the hub of league in the pacific but let's call a team for what it is...they (New Zealand national team) are made up of players from different pacific nations so why should they be called the New Zealand Kiwis?..last I checked, no Kiwi birds in Tonga.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Book mate, my point was not the players but rather the team name, why does it have to be the "KIWIS"?...not everybody in the New Zealand team is from there. It really should be "PACIFIC" or "OCEANS". Really you can't see my point?..
So why is the Australian team not called the Kangaroos + some Maoris considering they poached Karmichael Hunt and James Tamou who are both New Zealanders who were born in NZ?

I see your point, but it's not a very good one.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Deadset closed minded redneck...so just because I was born overseas, lived here my whole life, would bleed for my county, but yet according to you, I can represent "YOUR" country because I wasn't born here.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Deadset closed minded redneck...so just because I was born overseas, lived here my whole life, would bleed for my county, but yet according to you, I can represent "YOUR" country because I wasn't born here.
I'm a close minded redneck? LOL read your posts over again son. Are you saying that Karmichael Hunt and James Tamou would bleed for the Australian jersey?

You obviously have no idea of how things work in NZ, like I say, most of the players of island descent have lived here their whole life. You don't have to be proud of just one nationality. You can be a proud Samoan and a proud New Zealander if your family circumstances entail it.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I woiuld like to see the NZ National side play a Pacific all Stars side once a year in NZ.

It potentially could be similar to our SOO series, question: would that not then mean that $BW would be playing in the Pacific All Stars team + quite a few other exceptional players???

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I woiuld like to see the NZ National side play a Pacific all Stars side once a year in NZ.

It potentially could be similar to our SOO series, question: would that not then mean that $BW would be playing in the Pacific All Stars team + quite a few other exceptional players???
But SBW was born in New Zealand and says he's a proud NZer?

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But SBW was born in New Zealand and says he's a proud NZer?
OK, I was not aware of that!
I thought he was born in Samoa and imigrated to NZ with the family when he was young, thought I read it somewhere a long time ago but thanks for letting me know.
What about my other thoughts on a NZ national team playing a Pacific Islander Team onece a year in NZ or maybe even in Australia as a second choice as we do have a big contingent of NZ's and Pacific Islanders living in OZ too???

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I was not aware of that!
I thought he was born in Samoa and imigrated to NZ with the family when he was young, thought I read it somewhere a long time ago but thanks for letting me know.
What about my other thoughts on a NZ national team playing a Pacific Islander Team onece a year in NZ or maybe even in Australia as a second choice as we do have a big contingent of NZ's and Pacific Islanders living in OZ too???
this year a nz selection team made up of players from provincial comps will play a pacific island team made up with players who are not involved in the nrl finals

tips

Waterboy
Reaction score
So why is the Australian team not called the Kangaroos + some Maoris considering they poached Karmichael Hunt and James Tamou who are both New Zealanders who were born in NZ?

I see your point, but it's not a very good one.
Tamou should never have been in consideration after making the Kiwi "squad" last year. His decision had been made and was therefore a New Zealander and definitely shouldn't have played origin either.
The tiered sytem is a good way of strengthening international games and players should be able to play for their other countries if that country doesn't happen to be Australia, New Zealand or England. Would make the four nations a lot more competetive.

Status
Not open for further replies.