Attention: Malcolm Turnbull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why should that matter?

The parties are made up of members and they still have their discussions/votings behind close doors if they are discussing a particular policy that the whole party doesnt agree on.

In any case malcolm Turnbull, when he took leadership from abbott, made no real changes to their policies.

Shouldnt be time that the australian public vote on policies rather than leaders?
In a perfect would yes..but it ain’t a perfect world.. Politics isn’t just policy..it’s also who the policy is presented by and sold to the public by..The leader of the party..whether we like or not..substantially influences people’s votes.. it’s just the nature of it.. They are the one’s presenting the policy on the TV..the radio..their picture is at every electrol booth.. It’s virtually impossible that they do not influence people’s vote.. If they didn’t whats the point of their presence at say..an important bi-election? Because quite obviously they do influence votes..So hence why a sitting PM is replaced it doesn’t sit right..and IMHO he/she shouldn’t be replaced without a general election..it’d certainly stop the farce that we’ve had over the last ten years..

Last edited:

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
In a perfect would yes..but it ain’t a perfect world.. Politics isn’t just policy..it’s also who the policy is presented by and sold to the public by..The leader of the party..whether we like or not..substantially influences people’s votes.. it’s just the nature of it.. They are the one’s presenting the policy on the TV..the radio..their picture is at every electrol booth.. It’s virtually impossible that they do not influence people’s vote.. If they didn’t whats the point of their presence at say..an important bi-election? Because quite obviously they do influence votes..So hence why a sitting PM is replaced it doesn’t sit right..and IMHO he/she shouldn’t be replaced without a general election..it’d certainly stop the farce that we’ve had over the last ten years..
Agree and understand what you're saying but my post was more relating to the failure in our system. Because policies aren't formed that way. Policies are a party agreement.

Hence which ministers we elect in and the make up of parties determines the direction our country takes.

Ministers from the perspective of what their beliefs and inclinations are, what they have in priority and are likely to fight tooth and nail for.

And then this collection of different personalities decide the direction of the nation.

So I guess my point is that the public have to take responsibility in noting that they vote for a party and individual members representing their area, NOT leaders of parties.

If they're interested in leaders of parties then they must join that party as a member and be part of the parties election process. But that is pretty much the same format as electing individual members.

Hence the failure of our system and these type of factional leadership challenges, it's a reflection of the public

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And then this collection of different personalities decide the direction of the nation.
@Mr 95% and this was the old Liberal parties selling point (menzies ideal), that because they had people from many different political spectrums they represented all sides

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree and understand what you're saying but my post was more relating to the failure in our system. Because policies aren't formed that way. Policies are a party agreement.

Hence which ministers we elect in and the make up of parties determines the direction our country takes.

Ministers from the perspective of what their beliefs and inclinations are, what they have in priority and are likely to fight tooth and nail for.

So I guess my point is that the public have to take responsibility in noting that they vote for a party and individual members representing their area, NOT leaders of parties.

If they're interested in leaders of parties then they must join that party as a member and be part of the parties election process. But that is pretty much the same format as electing individual members.

Hence the failure of our system and these type of factional leadership challenges, it's a reflection of the public
Yep..I take your point completely.. And your mention of factions..sheesh they are the bane on our political system..particularly Labor..

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
@Mr 95% and this was the old Liberal parties selling point (menzies ideal), that because they had people from many different political spectrums they represented all sides
Yep.. I guess the difficulty is bringing these ‘different’ views together..and working as one..need a strong leader..

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep..I take your point completely.. And your mention of factions..sheesh they are the bane on our political system..particularly Labor..
What factions in the Labor party are you speaking of?

Yep.. I guess the difficulty is bringing these ‘different’ views together..and working as one..need a strong leader..
I think the Libs problem is that no one faction has enough power rather than a leadership problem. In recent years the hard right have grown in numbers in that party and balanced out the power with moderates in that party. So now this shit is playing out

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the Libs problem is that no one faction has enough power rather than a leadership problem. In recent years the hard right have grown in numbers in that party and balanced out the power with moderates in that party. So now this shit is playing out
Maybe a bit of both..I dare say something has to be done..it’s a circus..

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Traded Turnbull for Turnbull 2.0

Bishop was the favourite before today bit everyone forgot that she was female. No chance Liberals would let a female lead them.
Lmao yep definitely a case of sexism there. If a female isn’t elected straight away sexism.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Check this out my man..I’m too lazy to summarise it..this article does it for me... lol!

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...factions-running-the-alp-20150619-ghryk0.html

Knowing you..I’m sure you’ll have more to add to it.. :D
Ahhhhhh ok. I thought you were referring to an actual power struggle going on rather than just parties have factions.

Major parties are always goingto have factions, they have a very large member base and it's just the nature of the beast.

It's the small protest parties which tend to have no factions and be wholly United behind the leader (except for the shambles that is one notion).

Where I think the difference between Labor and the Libs is

Labor learnt their lesson after the whole Rudd gillard thing and now they've understood the importance of a united front. While I also think it's more in their nature to be able to negotiate and come to a middle ground agreement with opposing sides eg gillard passing a record number of bills with a minority government.

Whereas the Libs have a problem with the hard right faction who refuse to negotiate as has been displayed the past 5 to 10 years.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe a bit of both..I dare say something has to be done..it’s a circus..
Yep they need a leader who appeals to both factions but looking at the list they're all either too far right or too moderate for each other

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lmao yep definitely a case of sexism there. If a female isn’t elected straight away sexism.
Nah. She had the support of all the back benches, labor and a large number of Liberals. Everyone else joined forces to vote her out. She went from dead favourite to ousted.

That's also why ScoMo got in. Everyone was pissed off that Dutton's supporters voted Bishop out so they voted Dutton out. ScoMo just sat back and laughed.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The entire political landscape is a joke.

If you get elected in as PM, you should be forced to sit the entire term unless due to illness or family illness.

Absolutely joke the bedhopping that has gone on these days.

Bishop - Would have been too softly softly. Angela Merkel v2.0
Dutton - Looks like a creepy potato. Would have shut the borders completely.
Morrison - Turnbull v2.0

and then the opposing circus has:
Bill Shorten - Union cronie and greens supporter (who has stated if he gets in he'll relax Australias border policies, and put more into greenhouse and emissions efforts).

Greens - Fuck the Greens... Environmentally Concious ALP party.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nah. She had the support of all the back benches, labor and a large number of Liberals. Everyone else joined forces to vote her out. She went from dead favourite to ousted.

That's also why ScoMo got in. Everyone was pissed off that Dutton's supporters voted Bishop out so they voted Dutton out. ScoMo just sat back and laughed.
Lol bishop was the favourite according to Sydney morning herald and msm.
No sexism here

Last edited:

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The entire political landscape is a joke.

If you get elected in as PM, you should be forced to sit the entire term unless due to illness or family illness.

Absolutely joke the bedhopping that has gone on these days.

Bishop - Would have been too softly softly. Angela Merkel v2.0
Dutton - Looks like a creepy potato. Would have shut the borders completely.
Morrison - Turnbull v2.0

and then the opposing circus has:
Bill Shorten - Union cronie and greens supporter (who has stated if he gets in he'll relax Australias border policies, and put more into greenhouse and emissions efforts).

Greens - Fuck the Greens... Environmentally Concious ALP party.
Going off that, Dutton would have been perfect

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Poor Dutton. NOT

He thought he would be PM by now.

Now at the next election he will lose his seat of Dickson.

Status
Not open for further replies.