Ask a bulldogs old timer....

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can't precisely remember when I started following Canterbury. But was fully invested in it by the time Bob McCarthy was there in 1976/77, as my first jersey had his number on it. So if I had to hazard a guess, the following of the club would have stated roughly around 1974-ish. I sadly can't remember the first game, but rarely missed Belmore matches in to 70s and 80s. I clearly remember sometime in the 70s there was match replayed on the ABC and at the end when the kids jumped onto the field, the camera followed me across the field for quite some time, with my flag - which gave me a fond memory, as a kid getting a little cameo on TV.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I saw my first game in 1958 at Kogarah Oval when it was unlimited tackles. Saints had just started their 11 year dynasty and had possession of the ball the entire first half. I have played the game under the unlimited tackle rule, 4 tackle rule and six tackle rule. I have refereed under 4 and 6 tackle rule.

Seen lots of players.

Best by far Les John's with Turvey Mortimer and Baa on an equal footing in second.
I hope this brings back memories:
SMH 27-7-1958 V St.George Match Review & Scorers.jpg

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My Dad started taking me to Dogs games at Belmore in the mid 70s when I was probably around 12. Steve Mortimer was always great both in attack (including his chip and chase) and the best cover defender I've ever seen. George Peponis would score tries virtually every time he got a play the ball right on the opposition tryline. One of my favourites was a tough second rower called Steve Hage. I still remember a game against the Sharks. A Sharks forward Steve Kneen (who played for Australia) gave Hage a bit of a tap on the head as Hage was playing the ball. The next time Kneen took a hit-up and Hage tackled him I don't know what Hage did but Kneen was carried off on a stretcher. I always liked hard second rowers who could hit hard.

I remember a game in the 70s against Manly when 3 players were sent off in the one game (Max Krillich - Manly hooker, Peponis, and Hage)

I remember being at the game at the SCG against Souths where Peter Kelly was sent off in the first minute and we still won the game

I remember that great comeback win against the Eels in a semi when we were down like 18-2 with only 9 minutes left

I remember the record breaking streak of wins in 2002 when our fast defence would make good teams and usually great players look ordinary / full of mistakes. That's what line speed pressure can do

I've watched all the Grand Finals wins since 1980. We've won the comp 6 times since I've been a supporter. Makes it harder to accept the way we are now I think.

Some of my favourite players over the years

Steve Mortimer. Have bumped into him a few times over the years around Revesby (pub, service station) and one of the Easter Show signing days when I was at school
Steve Hage - hard c..t
Mick Potter - great sidestep and always stepped the first defender when bringing the ball back from his own end
Hazem El Masri - he started off with real pace and ability to break the line (why we started calling him Magic) but he seemed to become slower for the majority of his career. One of the best goalickers of course and always great at coming in off his wing to shut down opposition backline raids
Steve O'Brien - a great winger who could step and had strength to break tackles
Allan Geelan - the year we won both the first grade and reserve grade comp in reserve grade he looked like he was going to be a star but he never lived up to it unfortunately
Mal Creevey - fast tiny half-back in the same reserve grade winning comp team. I remember one week where he scored 3 tries in reserve grade then was called up for first grade and scored another 3 (so 6 same day)
Jason Williams - fast winger with a fantastic side step
Jamal Idris - one of the best fends I've ever seen. I remember a game where he played all over Greg Inglis. I watched the highlights again recently
David Gillespie - could really smash players in defence
Dean Pay - could really smash in defence too. I remember that semi final when he smashed Glen Lazarus out of the game.
Geoff Robinson - man without fear. Hardest running forward. I remember a reserve grade game when someone tapped him on the head while he was playing the ball and he charged into 3 guys swinging punches at them all
Ewan McGrady - like Ben Barba in his day. Brilliant side step and lightning acceleration
Mark Brokenshire - underrated prop who was one of the best hitters we ever had also
Solomon Haumono - could smash people in defence and also break tackle after tackle in attack
Steve Folkes - could hit really well in defence for a smaller forward. Great technique. I used to learn karate at a gym he owned near Belmore for a while in the early 80s I think. He was always there.
Terry Lamb - never saw him play a bad game (even the one where he kicked a field goal late in the game when we were behind by 2 points. Best support player EVER. Tough as when tackling big forwards
Mark O'Meley - only player who could knock out opposing players while he was carrying the ball. Tough as. I remember a game where he came back from a broken jaw in NZ against the Warriors. He wasn't the least bit gun shy. Virtually took on the whole Warriors forward pack all by himself
Sonny Bill Williams - after only a few games in his first season of first grade I thought he was the best forward I'd ever seen. Every time he touched the ball he did something special. He started getting injured a a lot because he was always trying to twist and break tackles. I read he was advised to slow down for his own health. Loved his shoulder charge especially the one against the Panthers prop (can't remember his name). I was at that game.
Jason Hetherington - Hardest tackling hooker I've ever seen.
Sam Kasiano - loved watching him break tackles
Nigel Vagana - his 5 tries in that game against Souths I'll always remember. Best centre in the comp for a few years. Fast and great side step
Frank Pritchard - loved when he knocked out Wade Graham and someone else with massive shoulder charges.
Matt UtaI - loved watching him prove virtually unstoppable for defenders. So strong
Josh Morris - could be magic in attack especially the first few season he played with us
Remis Smith - 1 great game against the Dragons
Ben Barba - simply brilliant. 2012 probably the best players I've ever seen. Was pure magic. What a shame he wasted many more years of such skills
1978 send offs V Manly
SMH 3-7-1978 V Manly Match Review & Scorers.jpgSMH 3-7-1978 V Manly Photos.jpg

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't recall Polly ever playing for the cowboys. Travis Norton leaving to play for them was certainly a sad feeling for me as he was a favorite player at the time.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My Dad started taking me to Dogs games at Belmore in the mid 70s when I was probably around 12. Steve Mortimer was always great both in attack (including his chip and chase) and the best cover defender I've ever seen. George Peponis would score tries virtually every time he got a play the ball right on the opposition tryline. One of my favourites was a tough second rower called Steve Hage. I still remember a game against the Sharks. A Sharks forward Steve Kneen (who played for Australia) gave Hage a bit of a tap on the head as Hage was playing the ball. The next time Kneen took a hit-up and Hage tackled him I don't know what Hage did but Kneen was carried off on a stretcher. I always liked hard second rowers who could hit hard.

I remember a game in the 70s against Manly when 3 players were sent off in the one game (Max Krillich - Manly hooker, Peponis, and Hage)

I remember being at the game at the SCG against Souths where Peter Kelly was sent off in the first minute and we still won the game

I remember that great comeback win against the Eels in a semi when we were down like 18-2 with only 9 minutes left

I remember the record breaking streak of wins in 2002 when our fast defence would make good teams and usually great players look ordinary / full of mistakes. That's what line speed pressure can do

I've watched all the Grand Finals wins since 1980. We've won the comp 6 times since I've been a supporter. Makes it harder to accept the way we are now I think.

Steve Mortimer. Have bumped into him a few times over the years around Revesby (pub, service station) and one of the Easter Show signing days when I was at school
Steve Hage - hard c..t
Mick Potter - great sidestep and always stepped the first defender when bringing the ball back from his own end
Hazem El Masri - he started off with real pace and ability to break the line (why we started calling him Magic) but he seemed to become slower for the majority of his career. One of the best goalickers of course and always great at coming in off his wing to shut down opposition backline raids
Allan Geelan - the year we won both the first grade and reserve grade comp in reserve grade he looked like he was going to be a star but he never lived up to it unfortunately
Mal Creevey - fast tiny half-back in the same reserve grade winning comp team. I remember one week where he scored 3 tries in reserve grade then was called up for first grade and scored another 3 (so 6 same day)
Jamal Idris - one of the best fends I've ever seen. I remember a game where he played all over Greg Inglis. I watched the highlights again recently
Dean Pay - could really smash in defence too. I remember that semi final when he smashed Glen Lazarus out of the game.
Geoff Robinson - man without fear. Hardest running forward. I remember a reserve grade game when someone tapped him on the head while he was playing the ball and he charged into 3 guys swinging punches at them all
Ewan McGrady - like Ben Barba in his day. Brilliant side step and lightning acceleration
Mark Brokenshire - underrated prop who was one of the best hitters we ever had also
Solomon Haumono - could smash people in defence and also break tackle after tackle in attack
Steve Folkes - could hit really well in defence for a smaller forward. Great technique. I used to learn karate at a gym he owned near Belmore for a while in the early 80s I think. He was always there.
Terry Lamb - never saw him play a bad game (even the one where he kicked a field goal late in the game when we were behind by 2 points. Best support player EVER. Tough as when tackling big forwards
Mark O'Meley - only player who could knock out opposing players while he was carrying the ball. Tough as. I remember a game where he came back from a broken jaw in NZ against the Warriors. He wasn't the least bit gun shy. Virtually took on the whole Warriors forward pack all by himself
Sonny Bill Williams - after only a few games in his first season of first grade I thought he was the best forward I'd ever seen. Every time he touched the ball he did something special. He started getting injured a a lot because he was always trying to twist and break tackles. I read he was advised to slow down for his own health. Loved his shoulder charge especially the one against the Panthers prop (can't remember his name). I was at that game.
Nigel Vagana - his 5 tries in that game against Souths I'll always remember. Best centre in the comp for a few years. Fast and great side step
Frank Pritchard - loved when he knocked out Wade Graham and someone else with massive shoulder charges.
Matt UtaI - loved watching him prove virtually unstoppable for defenders. So strong
Josh Morris - could be magic in attack especially the first few season he played with us
Ben Barba - simply brilliant. 2012 probably the best players I've ever seen. Was pure magic. What a shame he wasted many more years of such skills
1986 V Souths Kelly send off
CT 26-4-1986 V South Sydney Match Review.jpg

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me feel sorry for the newer generation of fans. Anyone pre 2014 was pretty spoilt with some great memories of the club and it’s players. The poor bastards these days will be telling their kids about the exploits of the likes of Montoya, Holland and Liccha.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me feel sorry for the newer generation of fans. Anyone pre 2014 was pretty spoilt with some great memories of the club and it’s players. The poor bastards these days will be telling their kids about the exploits of the likes of Montoya, Holland and Liccha.
They will be telling stories of Burton, Averillo, Alamoti etc. The Bulldogs have been down and out for 6 years now. That's not a long time in the grand scheme of things

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
They will be telling stories of Burton, Averillo, Alamoti etc. The Bulldogs have been down and out for 6 years now. That's not a long time in the grand scheme of things
Well said. Let's hope these guys will be the younger generation's heroes and rebuild our teams winner reputation :grinning:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very true. 6 years is a long time in Bulldog terms though. We really need to get these next few years right.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well said. Let's hope these guys will be the younger generation's heroes and rebuild our teams winner reputation :grinning:
We WILL be feared again. I have no doubt in my mind about that. I can't wait for the days I get hate about being a bulldogs supporter again

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Steve Hage - hard c..t
Mal Creevey

Attachments