ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys is entertaining an overhaul of the Origin eligibility rules to cater for players like Taumalolo.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been happy as most I'm sure have with most of the changes that have been introduced since V'Landys has come on board into the NRL but I feel he's now acting like the Nutty Professor and wants to change everything and anything in the game. Please leave State Of Origin alone, it's stood the test of time and is the best form of the game and one of the biggest sporting rivalries ever. An overhaul of the Origin would be the worse thing to happen to one of the games pinnacle events. Taumalolo and Kikau aren't eligible and it should be kept that way or the flood gates will open and it will dilute the Origin product over time.

Finally One rule I'm beginning to have a rethink on is this automatic 6 again rule. Yes it speeds up the game but it's now becoming more a game of touch and it can and has been a negative to teams, like us with little or no pace in our lineup compared to others and its open to interpretation with the referee's. We've copped a hammering when Cummins has refereed our two games. He must be related to Barry Gomersall.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is this for real? What more does this fuckwit need to do to ruin the code?

Queensland don't need him, Tonga do. They beat Australia. The impact those games have can't be understated. Stop going for money grabs and bastardising the game!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He showed great leadership last year in getting the game back going again after the COVID-19 plandemic, but his rules changes have been a disaster. The 6 again , the Suaali change & now this. Stick to the administration of the game please & leaves the rules alone unless you remove the set restart crap.

An unintended consequence of his changes was reverting back to 1 referee which made it really hard for Belinda whatshername to referee first grade again. I think the 2 referees would have worked had they used them in teams so they understood each other.

The other disaster he oversaw was the cancellation of Big League magazine. To leave the game without a program or even a weekly magazine was a disgrace. I know he wanted to save money but to remove the magazine will make it more difficult in the future to see what happened at this time. Websites come & go & stories written now will disappear & be forgotten. At least with magazines there is a permanent record.

I know there is the wayback machine, but I've been using it a lot recently & finding information even on nrl.com from years gone by is difficult.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m all for it as long as it’s or players that are eligible,, tamaolo yes Burgess brothers, James graham or Shaun Johnson no.. Kieron Foran yes

if you can’t get the difference stick to being a dinosaur

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It hardly seems like the game I grew up watching anymore anyway. It's already been changed to the point where I can only guess why teams are penalized or given repeat sets. It's at the point where decisions can be different for almost identical things. Coaches aren't even allowed to call out refereeing blunders without fear of reprisal.

From my perspective it looks like every rule change has been made to make referee manipulation of the game simpler and harder for fans to see. I can't help but think that it's all in favor of match fixing to increase the revenue of the gambling sponsor. I know a lot of people don't see things this way. But an increasing number of people do every year and it will drive people away from the game. I personally wish that some investigation of betting flows compared to refereeing performances was done because I'm certain there'd be a correlation between what people consider biased refereeing and the profits made as a result by our gambling sponsor.

I'm not even going to get into altering eligibility rules for origin. I don't care about it anymore. I've watched too many series where shady refs call decided the game to care. I hope the Bulldogs win every year and only watch our own games (exception being when someone we've recruited for the next season will be playing)/ If not for the emotional attachment to the Bulldogs I'd have given up on league a few years ago.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
origin died years ago, rules regarding eligibility already been changed, its lost what it was and supposed to be
qld vs nsw

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
how is it?Tamou played for the blues did that ruin the game? Thorn too
it was a joke and why they changed the rules in the first place. mcmanus, uate and tamou should never have played

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
How is it a selection fixture for the Kangaroos if ineligible players play in SOO.

Crazy talk.