Are the dogs trying too hard??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chana

Waterboy
Reaction score
I agree we are over structured and I think that makes players second guess themselves. We need more set play but even then if the play breaks down the "playmakers" don't know how to improvise. When you see it happen and the half gets the ball 10 out from the line and just comes to a stop to think of what he is going to do you just know that is the case. If the playmaker runs out of options at least kick to try and get the repeat set and put pressure on the other team.

The game in the forwards has changed as well, we need mobile players in the team like Raymond Faitala Mariner, Asipeli Fine etc. The backs as well, speed and power that can hit it up when forwards can't. Players like Klemmer in the proper position not at lock.

We are old and stale and in a desperate need to overhaul the majority of the team. We had our chance with the majority of these players in 12 and 14 and came up empty handed. We should have started to move players on then.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it can't be that hard to execute the basic sweep play that just about every team from u20s to the kangaroos use. Quick play the ball, and either play short to the second rower or out the back to the fullback for a 3 on 2 situation. Don't think i've ever seen mbye play short in his life. Our go to play for ages has been the u10s standard catch and pass from reynolds to jackson and pray the defence gets bamboozled by it

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been taking note on a few things that i have noticed in the past few Bulldogs games. My notes have been on why the dogs cannot cross the try line. These notes led me to propose a new theory not mentioned before. Coaches and players need to address this because i see this occurring in other teams as well. It involves when players 'try too hard, are too serious and suck the fun out of league, which leads to an inability to score'.

The main thing i noticed is that the Bulldogs are way too serious. They are undoubtedly trying and their mentality is there, but i think they are trying too hard. At times when they attack they look as if they want to score a try after every set and when they do not they then appear as if they have tried every combination and are left with no answers. Everyone knows when you want something so badly you don't get it. My advice is try but don't give 150 pc into each play because it will kill mentality. I rarely see players smile, laugh and look like they are having fun. When i watch the Roosters JWH is always cracking that smirk to other players. Then i look at MBYE and he looks like he is having girl problems. Honestly, Bring back the joy and energy of playing rugby so that tries can come spontaneously and ditch the serious give it all and depressing looks. The dogs just need to have fun (not necessarily play razzle dazzle), slip a few offloads and stop playing textbook footy.

Extending it further, when a player makes a mistake they act as if they have had a death in the family. Honestly, I was so pissed off when Josh Morris spilled the ball in the first attacking set after half time and dropped the f bomb. James Graham also knocked on in the second half and kicked the ball in frustration. Honestly, get over yourselves, it is just a knock-on. Acts like this just make a situation worse. laugh it off instead.
The answer to that is...look at the last 5mins v's warriors last week when we had the ball.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got another theory.

When a team has
  • A hooker who has no idea of triggering the go forward,
  • A half back who can't or won't test the defensive line by running at it
  • The only player who has a kicking game left like a shag on a rock
our attack becomes as predictable and as easy to pick off as a row of ducks in the shooting gallery.

Its not that we're trying too hard, its just that we have no ability to try anything with.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that if the players smile and laugh that somehow our problems will be gone?

LOL
Imagine the comments on the Kennel if our players laughed away every error as we get roundly beaten.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I look to the last 5min against the Warriors when the game was over. That last try we scored was crisp as fuck and not something we normally see from us.

It makes me tend to think we're not playing what's in front of us and then buckling under pressure when it gets too hard.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They try
Give them a good try award
Lol
Everyone gets a pat on the back

Status
Not open for further replies.