ANZ stadium rebuild

Is the proposed plan to knock ANZ down and rebuildbit a good idea?

• Great idea. Well done NSW government.

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • The original plan to refurbish the stadium was a better option.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • I dont know.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fucking disgrace. The funding should be used elsewhere.

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am hearing the plan is to knock it down and start from scratch?? Are they fucking serious?? What was wrong with the original refurbishment plans?? It looked perfect in my opinion.
Is this a case of 'jobs for your mate', a cash grab???
Obviously i dont get all the bews over herebin France, so im keen to hear your thoughts.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Have to agree... major pain in the arse for a stadium which has very rarely even seen close to 50% capacity.

Meanwhile hospitals are begging for money for extra beds.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have to agree... major pain in the arse for a stadium which has very rarely even seen close to 50% capacity.

Meanwhile hospitals are begging for money for extra beds.
I would probably against it all together if it wasnt our home ground. Lol
But i think they had it right the first time. Just refurbish ot. Tgeres no need to knock it down.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The problem with the stadium is that it was built for Olympics. It was a waste of money to begin with when they refurbished it after the games. In the current state, a knockdown/re-build job is the best action. However what would've been the best action was 25 years ago when work begun on the entire Sydney Olympic Park complex, when they should have built a brand new rectangular arena 100,000 capacity ONLY for Rugby League, Soccer and Union. Now it's costing the Government 3-4 times more.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't often agree with @Wahesh, but here I am in 100% agreement.

You need to think about the big picture here.

ANZ Stadium is a purpose built athletics arena, which is never really likely to ever be used for that purpose ever again. It is primarily now used as a venue for sports played on a rectangular field, and it makes total sense to ensure it is purpose built for its main use.

The refurbishment plans were a massive waste of money. They were akin to polishing a turd. ANZ stadium is a terrible stadium for what it is used for and anyone who has attended games there will be able to attest to that fact.

• The incline of the seating is awful. Literally no one feels close to the game
  • This shitty incline kills atmosphere. Yeah ok atmosphere is decent when full, but it could be 100x better with a proper build
  • Ever sat on level 6? You might as well have not attended. You are so disconnected from EVERYTHING. You even enter via a fucking car ramp so you are never even with anyone else apart from other level 6 plebs
  • The way it turns into a multipurpose venue is laughable. The boundaries are still way too short on the sides for cricket and AFL. Totally embarrassing to even use it in that format ever.
  • The stadium is almost 2 decades old, it isn't brand new anymore. Technology and architecture have come a long way in this time
  • Yes it will cost a shitload, yes there are things that deserve that money more, but you can say that about almost everything in the state budget that isn't schools or hospitals. Other things get funding and other things need that funding
  • We are a laughing stock compared to Melbourne with their stadiums, it is time to even the score and attract some massive events and make people want to attend those events

Bring it on. I hope this doesn't get shelved like every other god damn plan the government has.

Go and check out the new Parra stadium that is being built. One end is maybe 30% complete, it looks fucking awesome. The gradient is so good, watching footy there will be brilliant.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Obviously spending money for the hell of it, what exactly is worn and dilapidated?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally I think the money should be spent elsewhere but I do understand the rebuild. ANZ is rubbish for any rectangular sport. It works for Cricket and AFL but it's rubbish for Soccer and NRL. Sitting in Category A in the front row and still being 30 metres away from the field is just ridiculous. It provides no atmosphere and it's one of the key reasons I missed so many games last season. The other one being that we sucked.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And when Sydney misses out on the big events to Melbourne etc, people will be whining about how crap Sydney, "the gummit is shit" etc.

If built properly (ie with a roof, steep seating, and huge screens), this new venue will attract the huge events - from UFC to massive arena sports like monster trucks, the biggest concerts, NFL games, Soccer giants' overseas tours etc, even conferences (think world youth day, Rotary international Convention etc - these events pull in billions). putting it on a level venues in the US, Asia and Europe. Nobody will ever dare of taking the NRL GF away and you can shut up fucking Queenslanders when they boast abut how great their stadium is (it really isn't, but its the best the country has).

Problem in Oz often is the lack of just getting shit done. This is why we are still talking about a new Airport in Sydney after 25 years. In the meantime, Hong Kong built a new one with am awesome rail link, Thailand did so too (with a bit less success), and Singapore just opened the new terminal and is already building a 5th.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm sick of people complaining about how the money could be better spent on schools or hospitals. The NSW government spends $20 billion (with a b) on schools and hospitals every 4 years.
If it wants to spend a bit of the budget surpluss on a one-off expense that will see returns for the life of the facility, why not ?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
And when Sydney misses out on the big events to Melbourne etc, people will be whining about how crap Sydney, "the gummit is shit" etc.

If built properly (ie with a roof, steep seating, and huge screens), this new venue will attract the huge events - from UFC to massive arena sports like monster trucks, the biggest concerts, NFL games, Soccer giants' overseas tours etc, even conferences (think world youth day, Rotary international Convention etc - these events pull in billions). putting it on a level venues in the US, Asia and Europe. Nobody will ever dare of taking the NRL GF away and you can shut up fucking Queenslanders when they boast abut how great their stadium is (it really isn't, but its the best the country has).

Problem in Oz often is the lack of just getting shit done. This is why we are still talking about a new Airport in Sydney after 25 years. In the meantime, Hong Kong built a new one with am awesome rail link, Thailand did so too (with a bit less success), and Singapore just opened the new terminal and is already building a 5th.
I totally forgot about concerts.

I have seen AC/DC three time at ANZ, all 3 times on the floor thank fuck, but the first two times I was in FLOOR C which was basically the back half of the grass. The band looked kinda like ants, and most of the viewing was done on the screen. It was ordinary, and it was only that I love AC/DC that I had a good time. The third time I went (the most recent tour) I was in the A mosh up the front. Now that was insanely awesome. However, IMHO everyone who was not in the front mosh most definitely had a way shittier time than I did. I would say 80% of the seats would be way too far away to have fun, and then half the mosh is too far away. You definitely wasted your money if you were up on level 6. I sat on level 6 for our GF vs Rabbitohs and the musical stuff was awful from up there.

New stadium will make concerts soooo much better and with the biggest acts always going to ANZ now, trust me you will all want this new stadium if your fav band comes to town.

Agree also about our biggest problem not getting shit done. What a joke. Look at that piece of shit rail line that went from Clyde and was supposed to go to Epping but decided to stop at Carlingford. NO ONE USES THIS LINE. Everyone drives or buses to Epping to catch trains if they live in Carlingford. I live in North Parra and drive to Epping. I feel for people who live in Epping and lose all of their street parking all week long.

This stadium plan must have changed 5 times already, I really hope we stick with this one.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
credit to the NSW government for the infrastructure work that they've been doing.
Shit that's been talked about for fucking ever, is finally being done.
I can't remember ever in my life, so many large projects all under construction. Off the top of my head there's the west connex (which is basically like building 3 freeways), north connex, Sydney light rail, the northwest rail link, Barangaroo, and the stadiums project, all happening at once.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
credit to the NSW government for the infrastructure work that they've been doing.
Shit that's been talked about for fucking ever, is finally being done.
I can't remember ever in my life, so many large projects all under construction. Off the top of my head there's the west connex (which is basically like building 3 freeways), north connex, Sydney light rail, the northwest rail link, Barangaroo, and the stadiums project, all happening at once.
Everyone stopped listening to the Greens. They're still complaining about it but no one cares what the Greens say.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Everyone stopped listening to the Greens. They're still complaining about it but no one cares what the Greens say.
I'm obviously not living in Sydney anymore, but I have not read anything positive about this westconnex project. Is is really going to be good for the city, or just push traffic jams further along.

I think there us a real lack of public transport investments in Sydney, which is the key if it wants to be taken seriously on the world stage.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm obviously not living in Sydney anymore, but I have not read anything positive about this westconnex project. Is is really going to be good for the city, or just push traffic jams further along.

I think there us a real lack of public transport investments in Sydney, which is the key if it wants to be taken seriously on the world stage.
It's a bit hit and miss. It should relieve congestion eventually but it also requires some work elsewhere to avoid bottlenecks.

The main protest against it is that it'll lower the price of the houses around it which for some reason annoys the Greens more than anyone else.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well, that an 'cause they say that it'll create more pollution while investing in public transport will reduce pollution. Which makes sense.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Artists impression of the new Parramatta stadium (this is an image guys, not a video).

Even an artist impression cant even fake a sellout crowd lol!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People will always complain.
It’s only just started (30%complete)
Once finished, you’ll be able to drive from Campbelltown to the city or Penrith to the city or bypass the city completely, under freeway conditions. The harbour tunnel will also be duplicated and be accessed via westconnex.
It’s the biggest infrastructure project ever undertaken in NSW.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
People will always complain.
It’s only just started (30%complete)
Once finished, you’ll be able to drive from Campbelltown to the city or Penrith to the city or bypass the city completely, under freeway conditions. The harbour tunnel will also be duplicated and be accessed via westconnex.
It’s the biggest infrastructure project ever undertaken in NSW.
Yes, but will be it be good for the city/state? The ability from Penrith the the city shouldn't be a goal of government, in my view.

Just observing from afar, the NSW government seems to be prioritising roads over PT.

Status
Not open for further replies.