Andrew Ryan... what a legend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It was never about the cap or his fitness, it's about the fact that he'll only play for one more season, and in the mean time we'll lose some good juniors.

That said, I think he deserves one more season.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
It was never about the cap or his fitness, it's about the fact that he'll only play for one more season, and in the mean time we'll lose some good juniors.

That said, I think he deserves one more season.
Wouldnt swet it, we always have good juniors. We are a bloody talent nursery here. We lost a lot of experience the last few years with Patten and El masri going. A side full of just young inexperieced players is, well, Toyota Cup.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I was not trolling. He is past his use by date and annoys me as a captain on the field. He has no aggression and the rest of the players are following him. Make Ennis captain (when he returns) and watch us play better.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
This decision is the best for us moving forward, I appreciate all Ryan has done but we have kids coming through who deserve a shot and we can't hold them back and risk losing them. Kids such as Taupau, Foster, Finucane, Burr, Jackson etc. These kids are the future and Ryan may try hard but he is simply past it and not good enough anymore, it's a sad reality but it has to happen.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I was not trolling. He is past his use by date and annoys me as a captain on the field. He has no aggression and the rest of the players are following him. Make Ennis captain (when he returns) and watch us play better.
Others have expressed similar opinions but minus the disrespect for one of our most loyal and best players over the past decade.....you are entitled to your opinion but if you express it so disrespectfully, when speaking about a true Bulldog, people WILL get the impression you are second rate fan who cares more about winning than showing appreciation for those whom have made a greater contribution to the club than you EVER will

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't understand why it's negative to question whether he's "a great of the club" or a "great captain". Just because he's long serving and respectable doesn't mean people can't have an opinion on the man or actually be objective for once. Not every comment has to be filled with blind praise and one eyed comments. People can voice their opinions but that doesn't make them less of a fan or a Bobcat hater.

Bobcat has been a great clubman for Canterbury and at his best he was quite a good player who made us better and did all of the little things. Unfortunately he's well past his best and his time is up. I don't he's ever been the captain we needed but that shouldn't diminish how respected he is by the fans and the club. I also don't think he should even be mentioned among the club greats but again, that isn't to say he hasn't done good things.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
oh I don't think it's disrespectful at all thinking it is time he moved on...or even to say he wasn't one of the club's best....but anyone who has shown such passion for the dogs...and played well for them consistently over such a long period, deserves to depart with fans talking about the good times imo...of course Robbie can express his opinion in any way he likes...all I'm saying is I don't like the way he said it....tis a free world.....ps I never said anyone was a second rate fan...someone else said it on this thread and I was opining about why I think some would reach that conclusion

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ryan is our worst captain ever anyway.
how do the captains of the 1950's compare then? i mean, you must know, making such a statement

actually, any of our captains from 1942 to 1980 will do. give us this detailed analysis you have obviously researched to reach your irrefutable conclusion

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
how do the captains of the 1950's compare then? i mean, you must know, making such a statement

actually, any of our captains from 1942 to 1980 will do. give us this detailed analysis you have obviously researched to reach your irrefutable conclusion
I went overboard with worst ever but he is the worst since 1980 by far.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If he stays, David Stagg has to go. Dont need 2 similar players in this team. Happy for him to stay if it is at the expense of Stagg.
You're probably right, but I don't think Bobcat has got another year in him. He's now 32 and paying the price for playing it hard. As for stagg though, I wonder how long he's got left. He's taken a lot of heavy hits to his head, so how many more can he take.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Others have expressed similar opinions but minus the disrespect for one of our most loyal and best players over the past decade.....you are entitled to your opinion but if you express it so disrespectfully, when speaking about a true Bulldog, people WILL get the impression you are second rate fan who cares more about winning than showing appreciation for those whom have made a greater contribution to the club than you EVER will
Hit the nail on the head. People get pissed at me for standing up for players and coaches in here all the time, but what they dont realise is it isnt that they dont like a player or coach or whoever that bothers me at all, its the way you do it thats a problem. There is absolutely no need to be abusive and disrepectful to make a point. Some people think that if they swear thier brains off, or be over the top with the abuse or disrespect it makes thier point stronger. I call it attention seeking, these ppl probably didnt get enough hugs as a child.

C

chipandchase

Lol at saying Ryan is a legend.
ryan is the most capped captain in bulldog history, a legend of a man and a player for this club.
anyone who says otherwise is a niff nuff, he has played for Australia and Origin, that speaks for itself IMO

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
said it before say it again, ryan deserves to play at the doggs if he plays on, i dont want to see him play another season with a diff club, kind of ruins his legacy an his career, but ayy he's still a legend

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
ryan is the most capped captain in bulldog history, a legend of a man and a player for this club.
anyone who says otherwise is a niff nuff, he has played for Australia and Origin, that speaks for itself IMO
He's the most capped captain because we've had 2 moron coaches who kept choosing him as captain.

TheBarba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
said it before say it again, ryan deserves to play at the doggs if he plays on, i dont want to see him play another season with a diff club, kind of ruins his legacy an his career, but ayy he's still a legend
Agreed, SAVE Bobcat. Even if he isn't the club captain he would still be the off field leader...

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Hit the nail on the head. People get pissed at me for standing up for players and coaches in here all the time, but what they dont realise is it isnt that they dont like a player or coach or whoever that bothers me at all, its the way you do it thats a problem. There is absolutely no need to be abusive and disrepectful to make a point. Some people think that if they swear thier brains off, or be over the top with the abuse or disrespect it makes thier point stronger. I call it attention seeking, these ppl probably didnt get enough hugs as a child.
Yeah I don't get the malice mate....I mean Ryan has said he wants to play on another year to help the club he loves...and he has said he doesn't want a token contract or gesture by the club of offering him another year. Basically he wants to play for us...if that is what the club feels is best...people shouldn't be critical of that attitude, they should admire it imo...he wants what is best for the club and has given his best for the club for a long time.

It's interesting the whole captaincy debate...I think he was fine as captain in mid 2000s but the fabric of the team has changed and maybe our needs in terms of a captain have too....back in the day we had Mason, SBW, Maitua, O'Meley...all these players were naturally fired up and aggressive...they didn't need anyone to fire them up..if anything they needed a steady hand and calming influence. This current crop of players is more err mild mannered it seems and might benefit from a more animated captain.

But Ryan is a laid back dude...just because he is not natuirally agro doesn't mean he is not passionate...and some people here i have even seen implying he doesn't care. If all our squad shared Andrew Ryan's passion for and loyalty to the club, they would not need a captain to fire them up because they would have that fire already.

Maybe it is time for a new captain but i'd definitely like to see Ryan get another year.....if not I will understand the club made that decision with a view to the future and respect that...as I'm sure Bobcat will....but one way or the other, when he leaves he will leave with my eternal respect and gratitude for his service to our club...and I'm sure the majority of Bulldogs fans feel the same

Buffalo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
But Ryan is a laid back dude...just because he is not natuirally agro doesn't mean he is not passionate...and some people here i have even seen implying he doesn't care. If all our squad shared Andrew Ryan's passion for and loyalty to the club, they would not need a captain to fire them up because they would have that fire already.

Maybe it is time for a new captain but i'd definitely like to see Ryan get another year.....if not I will understand the club made that decision with a view to the future and respect that...as I'm sure Bobcat will....but one way or the other, when he leaves he will leave with my eternal respect and gratitude for his service to our club...and I'm sure the majority of Bulldogs fans feel the same[/QUOTE]

agree. people confuse aggro for passion -

ask the question when have you EVER seen wayne bennet blow up?????????

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
absolutely...some people just have a more restrained demenour....sporting teams are like children and captains are like parents I think...some teams need a calming influence and others need a motivational rocket up the ass and a roasting now and then...but Ryan is whom he is...and he's a good club man.

Interestingly, some people who have seemingly showed more fire and agro on the field when playing for the dogs have gone on to walk out on very lucrative, long term contracts and completely left the club in the lurch...ie some people who seemingly show more fire on the field obviously lack the passion Ryan has...if everyone in the squad had Ryan's commitment and passion, we would be sitting top four right now...imo...certainly we would be in a better place

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
absolutely...some people just have a more restrained demenour....sporting teams are like children and captains are like parents I think...some teams need a calming influence and others need a motivational rocket up the ass and a roasting now and then...but Ryan is whom he is...and he's a good club man.

Interestingly, some people who have seemingly showed more fire and agro on the field when playing for the dogs have gone on to walk out on very lucrative, long term contracts and completely left the club in the lurch...ie some people who seemingly show more fire on the field obviously lack the passion Ryan has...if everyone in the squad had Ryan's commitment and passion, we would be sitting top four right now...imo...certainly we would be in a better place
These are all good points and well said. I agree with most of what you've said but do you think in light of all of this and knowing how we don't have enough players pulling their weight, don't you think we needed a stronger, more vocal captain through these last 5 years or so? Bobcat is who he is, but in my opinion we needed a tougher and more vocal captain during these times because of some of the things you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.