Andrew Ryan announces he will retire at the end of the 2011 NRL Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þo£ar ßêar ™

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Andrew Ryan "officially" announces he will retire at the end of the 2011 NRL Season

Been a great player for the Bulldogs over the years.
Good luck with life after footy mate!

---

Canterbury-Bankstown skipper Andrew Ryan has announced he will retire at the end of the NRL season.

The premiership player and State of Origin representative, who joined the Bulldogs for the 2003 season, said it was "mentally and physically time" to call it a day.

"The time is right. I tried to chase my three-year-old out in the hallway and I couldn't catch her," Ryan joked at his Monday afternoon press conference.

"I've been very lucky to play with a lot of great players and be at this great club for a long time. We are one of the best clubs in the NRL, no doubt, and we have the most passionate and loyal fans in the game."

How will Andrew Ryan be remembered? Have your say by leaving a comment below or check out his foxsports.com.au player profile for all his stats.

Ryan has played 213 first-grade games for the Bulldogs after joining from Parramatta.

He said the 2004 premiership win was the highlight of his distinguished career.

A bustling, hard-running second rower, Ryan has scored 67 tries for the Bulldogs as he looks to lead the club to another finals series.

"Hopefully we can give it a good shake over the next five games and see what happens," he said.

Ryan said he entertained the idea of finishing his career with a stint in England, but didn't want to take that step if his body wasn't 100 per cent.

"I've been lucky enough to take up a full-time role with the NRL in education and welfare, specifically working with country kids and the country NYC kids," he said.

"It's something that I'm really passionate about and I'm super-excited to move into the next phase of my life."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/canterbury-bankstown-captain-andrew-ryan-announces-that-he-will-retire-at-the-end-of-the-nrl-season/story-fn2mcuj6-1226106018313

Last edited by a moderator:

matauce

Baller
Reaction score
all the best andrew. thank you for your great service to our club.

rogueflare

popeye
Reaction score
People have said this before, and i could not agree more. The end of an era of players who played with heart, passion and were committed to their club.

Wish Ryan all the best. Good luck with whatever you do. In my eyes, you belong on the list of champions that have served this club well. You epitomise the true meaning of being a Bulldog.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Good luck Bobcat, thanks for the memories.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All the best Bobcat. Sad to see you go. Would have loved to see you go out with a premiership, but you got 1 more than your buddy Hindmarsh.

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
Bobcat.. you have my admiration and thanks for your service to this club. Now, can you rally the boys for one last real tilt at this competition.. We have it in us, get them to bring it out.. good luck in the future. Guardog and family.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
All the best Bobcat. Sad to see you go. Would have loved to see you go out with a premiership, but you got 1 more than your buddy Hindmarsh.
We still are going out with a Premiership, we all get old, thanks for trying each week and all the best in retirement, it would of been sad if he went to another club.
Bulldogs never quit and make sure you go out with a bang!

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Good luck champ, hopefully thsi can spur the boys to string a few wins together and try nail a finals spots for Ryan to go out with one last hurrah and a shot at possibly another title.

Barba's Barber

puppy power
Reaction score
Mixed emotions...
Hate to see him go, but pumped to see some young guns given a chance next year.
Bobcat has always been one of my favourite Bulldogs because he works his butt off week in week out and never asks for recognition.
He has done so many wonderful things in the community and brought a friendly face to the Bulldogs club as well.
Good on ya mate. I know it must have been a very difficult decision.
All the best

The Hickstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
nooooo i dont want to go :(
but good luck bobcat all the best mate u gave memories live on!!!!!
WE WILL FOLLOW U SKIPPER

col of birchmen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will never ever forget his try saving tackle in the final seconds of the 2004 grand final a hard working family man and nothing came easy for him, we love you bobcat

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People forget just how great he was for us back in the day when we were so successful. He was one of our best players week in week out.

And had we not had such a bunch of frauds come in and out of the side for 5 years or so now, who didn't try and care one bit, then maybe Bobcat wouldn't have had to carry the burden and load as much as he has. The job in that time has been too much for him and it'd be too much for most players in the twilight of their careers.

The timing is probably best for both parties and I'd like to thank Bobcat for his many years of great service and wish him the best. He copped way too much crap on here year after year for someone of his standing even if, like I said, he didn't have much left in the Bobcat tank.

Talltimber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
People forget just how great he was for us back in the day when we were so successful. He was one of our best players week in week out.

And had we not had such a bunch of frauds come in and out of the side for 5 years or so now, who didn't try and care one bit, then maybe Bobcat wouldn't have had to carry the burden and load as much as he has. The job in that time has been too much for him and it'd be too much for most players in the twilight of their careers.

The timing is probably best for both parties and I'd like to thank Bobcat for his many years of great service and wish him the best. He copped way too much crap on here year after year for someone of his standing even if, like I said, he didn't have much left in the Bobcat tank.
x2
Bobcat has stuck solid with this club during its lowest times when so called "Super stars" just bailed out.
To me he is the true team player and sadly they are a dying breed in this day and age.
Not many on here rate him as a captain but none of us have been on the field with him so how would we know?
Surely he wouldn't have had the captaincy for so long unless the players around him supported it.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
thanks for your service to the club bobcat....wish you all the best in the future mate....unfortunate we had to let him go on such a crappy season

midas

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ryan was a great player and he stayed staunch when lesser men ran away

will be missed

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
Saved the 2004 grand final for us.

One of the few players in the team that are still busting his guts.

Thank you for the memories and farewell.

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If the rest of our alleged forwards showed as much ticker as Bobcat we would be entrenched in the Top 4.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
he has been a great and consistant player for many years and is retiring a Bulldog, which apart from Haz has been rare recently.

Thanks for your outstanding service to the club and team Bobcat, only sorry your last year wasnt more successful. Hope announcing you are leaving pumps the team enough to do the impossible and win 5 straight. But if not we didnt lose 2011 because you didnt try your ass off.

I could see Ryan pulling in the big ones a few times in matches recently and he looks like he could use a rest from being battered. Im glad he got at least one premiership ring too, many good players retire without 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.