Opinion Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler pick club to resurrect Jack Bird's career

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
NRL legends Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler have urged the Canterbury Bulldogs to look at making a bid to recruit injury-hit Broncos star Jack Bird.

Bird, 25, is contracted to Brisbane until the end of this season on almost $1 million-a-year, and an option for 2021. He was this week given permission by Brisbane to negotiate a move to a rival NRL club as the Broncos put their salary cap focus on securing David Fifita.

The versatile former Sharks premiership-winner has had a rotten run of luck since joining the Broncos in 2018 with repeated long-term injuries.

However as he recovers from his most recent setback - a ruptured ACL ruling him out of the 2020 season - Johns says an opportunity to move to the Bulldogs could revive his career.

"If I was the Bulldogs, with the right price-tag I would buy him as a running five-eighth outside Kieran Foran," Johns said on Wide World of Sports' Freddy and The Eighth.

"I think he's an explosive runner, he's super aggressive. He played Origin a few years ago off the bench. He's tough, he competes.

"[He] lost his way up there in Brisbane. He's another one who put some weight on up there, didn't look fit, rock-hard fit - whether that was a by-product of being away from home, he got injured, did his knee.

"Sometimes when young players have a string of injuries, it can extend their career later. I think as a running five-eighth at the Bulldogs he would be suited outside Kieran Foran, with the right game plan and with certain limitations on how he played.

"I'd love to see him get back into rep footy. Tough, tough boy."

Kangaroos and Roosters great Brad Fittler agreed the move would be smart for both the Bulldogs and for Bird, but it would be bittersweet.

"To watch him go to another club and do well will just make me cry," Fittler said.

"It's such a shame I think. The Broncos have invested so much in Jack Bird."

Asked whether the Bulldogs would need to fork out big bucks for Bird, Fittler said: "It all depends how much [the Broncos have] lost their patience."

Fittler added that Bird's unique playing style is ideal for the set-up at Canterbury.

"I do like the idea of what Joey was saying about Canterbury," he explained.

"Jack Bird is not conventional. He doesn't run like conventional players, he doesn't pass. He's just strong.

"There were shots when he played Origin - I remember he got the ball and he ran into Greg Inglis and the back-rower and he knocked them over. He's so powerful.

"I think Canterbury would be a great fit because they've never been a club that have looked conventional. They've always fought hard for points. He's the type of player that looks like he'd suit them."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/jack-b...cos-star/fb0034b4-a715-45e4-b9b9-1a4c4a0978d6

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
All these experts seem to forget that we do not have anyone capable of directing the side around at all including Foran.

So yeah let's go get a running 6.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So we have been tormented with Forans consistent injuries for three years and they want us to go and sign the only player who has played less games than Foran? Bird should retire

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's absolutely bizarre that a player as good as John's would suggest a halves pairing of Foran and Bird.
It’s like he is being paid to help get Bird another contract

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It's absolutely bizarre that a player as good as John's would suggest a halves pairing of Foran and Bird.
He's changed his tune Joey... Last month it was Clifford we should be signing, granted I think he has alot of potential especially when he puts on more mass.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah lets buy another busted half! Good idea moon goons. (Burton is the one)

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck off ey, why don’t you recommend the roosters, Penrith or Newcastle hmm? Because he isn’t worth it and it’s a joke if he goes to our club

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Joey johns would only ever be hired as a skills coach, never ever as a head coach. The dribble that comes out of his mouth about which club should sign which player clearly shows he has no clue about a team. He's spent his whole career as an individual ( a great individual ), but playing this style, he clearly doesn't understand how a team functions

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah this club needs to be done with buying other team's rejects. Bird may well recover from his injuries and become the player he was, but it's definitely not a risk we should be taking.

Groom Averillo for that five-eighth spot and I'd prefer we re-sign Elliott for that lock position rather than gamble on Bird.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“He doesn’t run like conventional players, he doesn’t pass. He’s just strong”.
Yeah get him in the halves then Freddy

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Joey Johns struggles to put coherent sentences together, let alone have any idea about who should go where or what they should do.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
As smart as they are with footy stuff... it’s silly to buy a purely running 5/8 who won’t pass the ball. Why did we spend $600k on a centre if he isn’t going to get the ball? Averillo perfect 6 can run and pass.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All these experts seem to forget that we do not have anyone capable of directing the side around at all including Foran.

So yeah let's go get a running 6.
Don't dare help the Broncos hold onto Fifita....in fact now that we have Barrett get him over here

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I know it's highly unlikely but is there even the slightest chance that he might be right and you might be wwwwwwrrrrrrr................

Go Dogs

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah this club needs to be done with buying other team's rejects. Bird may well recover from his injuries and become the player he was, but it's definitely not a risk we should be taking.

Groom Averillo for that five-eighth spot and I'd prefer we re-sign Elliott for that lock position rather than gamble on Bird.
Agree with almost everything but we gotta get Jacko off the edge and into lock. It's doing my head in.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bird would cost 500k which is crazy for a guy coming off two ACL surgeries. The club shouldn’t consider him or re-signing Foran when they're such massive injury risks.