Alert: Potential Scammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
On Monday at 2pm, I received a call from this phone number: 0402 582 790. The Irish sounding guy told me he's from a company called "Aussie Protect" and they compare private health insurance. I told him to call me back at 6pm as I was at work. I thought he wouldn't called as he would've left "the office" by then (he was calling from a call centre). So once that call ended, I blocked his number.

Yesterday, again at 2pm, the same guy called, this time from a different number: 0411 181 632. He said it's the call back service, I said to him again, please call at 6pm as I'm at work. He said that's fine, he was going to do that yesterday but had to leave the office early due to a family emergency - obvious bullshit. Again, I blocked this number. At this stage I was wondering if this guys knows that I'm seeing a mobile number come up.

Then alas at 6pm I received the call from yet another different mobile number: 0403 209 662. All this guy done was transfer me to iSelect to check compare my private health insurance with an operator from the other end. I spoke to her from about 15 mins and it seems like a good deal (better than what I'm currently paying) but I played it safe and told her I'm not changing. After that, she tried to get me to change my gas/electricity plan to save more money based on my postcode (I gave them a fake postcode and name). At that point, I hung up.

Would any company benefit from this? Would iSelect use a different company such as "Aussie Protect" to fish for business?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
On Monday at 2pm, I received a call from this phone number: 0402 582 790. The Irish sounding guy told me he's from a company called "Aussie Protect" and they compare private health insurance. I told him to call me back at 6pm as I was at work. I thought he wouldn't called as he would've left "the office" by then (he was calling from a call centre). So once that call ended, I blocked his number.

Yesterday, again at 2pm, the same guy called, this time from a different number: 0411 181 632. He said it's the call back service, I said to him again, please call at 6pm as I'm at work. He said that's fine, he was going to do that yesterday but had to leave the office early due to a family emergency - obvious bullshit. Again, I blocked this number. At this stage I was wondering if this guys knows that I'm seeing a mobile number come up.

Then alas at 6pm I received the call from yet another different mobile number: 0403 209 662. All this guy done was transfer me to iSelect to check compare my private health insurance with an operator from the other end. I spoke to her from about 15 mins and it seems like a good deal (better than what I'm currently paying) but I played it safe and told her I'm not changing. After that, she tried to get me to change my gas/electricity plan to save more money based on my postcode (I gave them a fake postcode and name). At that point, I hung up.

Would any company benefit from this? Would iSelect use a different company such as "Aussie Protect" to fish for business?
Your big mistake was to engage them in the first place. Like Jehovahs Witnesses in the street, or those charity muggers, you have to avoid engaging with them.

Like when you get that pause after you answer, yo know its some guy in India o wherever calling 100 people at once.

If you want a better deal on electricity/insurance/phone plans, whatever, there are dozens of websites out there.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Your big mistake was to engage them in the first place. Like Jehovahs Witnesses in the street, or those charity muggers, you have to avoid engaging with them.

Like when you get that pause after you answer, yo know its some guy in India o wherever calling 100 people at once.

If you want a better deal on electricity/insurance/phone plans, whatever, there are dozens of websites out there.
I don't, I just want them to STFU. I was actually expecting a call at the time they rang from a number I wasn't aware of (or a private number). As they call from different numbers, I have no way of blocking them. That's why I just want them to call, get them to talk, say no, then piss them off once and for all.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That's why I leave most calls to Call Minder... if it's a number I know I call back, if not they'll call back if important.

Also use Avast on my phone which has a commnity based spam call register. If a known spam caller calls it notifies you.

Plus I have Call Recording Software on my phone, if I answer and they start their shit I advise them the call is being recorded to forward to law enforcement. They quickly leave me alone.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had a similar call. This is what I do to these callers.

I answer and then tell them one moment someone's at the door. I let him sit on the phone for a couple minutes. I go back to the phone and ask are you still there, which he will be. I tell him I won't be much longer, I let him sit there waiting again and again. All up at least ten minutes. I get back on the phone and say goodbye and i just hang up.

Trust me, they'll stay on the phone waiting lol

Wahesh

Reaction score
I had a similar call. This is what I do to these callers.

I answer and then tell them one moment someone's at the door. I let him sit on the phone for a couple minutes. I go back to the phone and ask are you still there, which he will be. I tell him I won't be much longer, I let him sit there waiting again and again. All up at least ten minutes. I get back on the phone and say goodbye and i just hang up.

Trust me, they'll stay on the phone waiting lol
Sold. I'm going to do that next time :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

It might also be worth putting them on hold, ringing up Pizza Hut, and adding them into the conversation and just listen to the scammers and Pizza Hut liaise with each other while I remain silent :D

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd actually like to ask them if there is a number where I could call them back, then give it to another fucking company that could pester them. The turds never listen when you say you aren't interested in whatever they're plugging. It would crack me up knowing that I'd started a triangle where one of these companies would spend time calling another one with both trying to sell each other ser5vices that neother wanted.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Oddly enough companies do use 3rd party companies like this because they are effective. They're annoying but for every 10 people they annoy, they snag a deal with one person. In many cases it's not actually a scam, it's a legitimate sales company acting on behalf of a larger corporation. But they're still bloody annoying.

I dealt with one that was acting on behalf of Optus. They kept calling so I told them to fuck off. They took it personally and started spamming me from 20 different numbers 100 times a day. I went straight to the TIO. Apparently Optus got fined for it because the company was acting on behalf of Optus.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If a number’s not in my phone, I don’t answer it, then immediately type the number into google.
Usually they’re people soliciting business.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fucking iSelect and Choosy. They are notorious for signing people up to policies without consent, every "customer" they sign up they get commission, as fucked as it is all they need is an email address and a phone number. I used to work at Nib and had many pissed customers, rightfully so coming in-store with policies they never agreed to. Never engage, just hang up, or If you want to play with them It's always worth singing in a really high pitched voice, divert them to a sex line or ask personal questions that usually scares them off

Wahesh

Reaction score
Oddly enough companies do use 3rd party companies like this because they are effective. They're annoying but for every 10 people they annoy, they snag a deal with one person. In many cases it's not actually a scam, it's a legitimate sales company acting on behalf of a larger corporation. But they're still bloody annoying.

I dealt with one that was acting on behalf of Optus. They kept calling so I told them to fuck off. They took it personally and started spamming me from 20 different numbers 100 times a day. I went straight to the TIO. Apparently Optus got fined for it because the company was acting on behalf of Optus.
Were they stupid enough to call you from a number that wasn't private? Sucked in. The **** who took it personally probably lost his job as well.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Fucking iSelect and Choosy. They are notorious for signing people up to policies without consent, every "customer" they sign up they get commission, as fucked as it is all they need is an email address and a phone number. I used to work at Nib and had many pissed customers, rightfully so coming in-store with policies they never agreed to. Never engage, just hang up, or If you want to play with them It's always worth singing in a really high pitched voice, divert them to a sex line or ask personal questions that usually scares them off
Ask them personal questions - like what?

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just tell them i plan to kill myself soon and they hang up instantly and dont call back

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ask them personal questions - like what?
How many family members they have, what religion they are, what's their darkest fear, if they appreciate being bombarded with obnoxious calls, etc. Be creative, the options are limitless :grinning:

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
If a number’s not in my phone, I don’t answer it, then immediately type the number into google.
Usually they’re people soliciting business.
I do the same. I hate dealing with anyone over the phone really.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Telstra just did that to me recently with the NBN. Signed me up without me actually consenting to do it. I went off at them about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.