Opinion Action needs to be taken against Penrith immediately

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Some of you lot are hypocrites, Fletcher is a dickhead for saying anything, but the carry on from your club to get him released was far worse then this.
You are kidding yourself. Our club pushing so hard for an early release may have been a bad look and a little desperate, but it wasn’t in any way a breach of rules.... and pushing for an early release in those circumstances is something a lot of clubs would have probably done (although they may not have gone so hard or let sponsors get involved).

A club CEO coming out and openly talking to the media about trying to persuade a young and inexperienced player to break a contract which has already been registered by the NRL is a million times worse and a million times stupider. None of this would even be an issue if Penrith had done the smart thing and left enough in the cap for Burton in the first place.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
B
bit of a difference in trying to release him early compared to whole offseason trying to get him released and culminating In Laundys quotes in first couple of rounds

either way NRL should give massive sanctions to riff , and I think dogs should have got a minor punishment at the time and if nrl stepped in and said enough is enough this wouldn’t be happening now
I would also have manly sanctioned big time - both Saab and aloai it seemed they stirred the pot for both them leaving

anyway burton is going to dogs no need to worry
Biggest player kerfuffle was the 17 y.o. Suaalli kid Souths had (and Union) and then Rorters signed.

Had a contract with Souths and Roosters eventually paid them a $50k transfer fee.

NRL sure do let things happen for Rorters...wish we had one 10th of their sway.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
B
Biggest player kerfuffle was the 17 y.o. Suaalli kid Souths had (and Union) and then Rorters signed.

Had a contract with Souths and Roosters eventually paid them a $50k transfer fee.

NRL sure do let things happen for Rorters...wish we had one 10th of their sway.
yep they too should get punished.

I blame greenturd... the old June 30 rule should never have been changed

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Don't think he signed with Souths he made some 'staggering’ contract demands, Souths baulked & I think they withdraw their offer.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No doubt he’s an idiot and he may well be going lone wolf on this. I don’t really know what the feeling inside the club is, but I’m sure pretty much everyone at the club would be unhappy Burton is leaving. I mean come on mate, you can’t tell me re-signing Crichton on overs and not leaving enough in the kitty for Burton wasn’t a huge blunder. I know wvich player is rather have on the books. Crichton has her. Pretty underwhelming in a great side this year. Don’t think he adds anything that Burton and mono couldn’t do.
I assure you the club isn't worried about Burto leaving. He wants to play half and they know it. That's why this didn't come from Ivan or Brandy. It's not the first time Fletcher has come out and done this the fans hate him passionately.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He cant backflip cause he will be watching the NRL for the next 2 years if he does.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I assure you the club isn't worried about Burto leaving. He wants to play half and they know it. That's why this didn't come from Ivan or Brandy. It's not the first time Fletcher has come out and done this the fans hate him passionately.
Need some truthful NRL journo to call it out for Burton's sake as much as anything.

Oh thats right, I said truthful journo...no such thing.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You don’t think he’d have been willing to stay and play for a few years as a ball playing lock or centre? I mean he’s a lot younger than Luai and has time on his side. He may be good enough to crack Penrith’s halves in a few years and if not, he’d certainly be good enough to command top dollar at another club. In any case, if he’s really only interested in playing halves that is good news for us, because it means he’ll still be enthusiastic about coming to the club.

No doubt Fletcher is a clown....I’m just surprised Penrith didn’t pull out all the stops to keep Burton for at least a few more years.... but if his heart is set on plsyong halves now, I guess that could explain it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Don't think he signed with Souths he made some 'staggering’ contract demands, Souths baulked & I think they withdraw their offer.
I thought I read he had a contract and it was the contract extension that he threw up all kinds of demands....which he "apparently" didnt with Roosters :grinning:

I do know they paid Souths $50k tho.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
whilst Suaalii didn’t sign extension he was still signed to the bunnies for this year

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You don’t think he’d have been willing to stay and play for a few years as a ball playing lock or centre? I mean he’s a lot younger than Luai and has time on his side. He may be good enough to crack Penrith’s halves in a few years and if not, he’d certainly be good enough to command top dollar at another club. In any case, if he’s really only interested in playing halves that is good news for us, because it means he’ll still be enthusiastic about coming to the club.

No doubt Fletcher is a clown....I’m just surprised Penrith didn’t pull out all the stops to keep Burton for at least a few more years.... but if his heart is set on plsyong halves now, I guess that could explain it.
He's only 21.
His pathway is blocked at Penrith as a half atm.
He only signed a 2 year contract.
He would be crazy to stay there.
He can learn his trade. Be a standout player with us. Have a chance at SOO, Kangaroos with us.

In 2024 he can play for whoever he likes and will only be 24.
The world is his oyster.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He's only 21.
His pathway is blocked at Penrith as a half atm.
He only signed a 2 year contract.
He would be crazy to stay there.
He can learn his trade. Be a standout player with us. Have a chance at SOO, Kangaroos with us.

In 2024 he can play for whoever he likes and will only be 24.
The world is his oyster.
I don’t know.... I see both sides of the argument. Coming to us is a gamble because we are a shambles at the moment. If we do not improve as a team it could be counter productive to his development. I think we can improve and that it will turn out to be a good move for him..... and in any case, he is signed and sealed.... but I do see both sides of the argument. The thing is, he didn’t have any clear path to play any position in first grade with Penrith when he signed with us. Now he does.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score

We were going to keep him outside the halves. Word was he nearly stayed until you increased the offer but an extra 100k - $200k in the halves is pretty tempting. Especially when he makes a name for himself there and becomes worth the 800k+ that good halves are on.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We were going to keep him outside the halves. Word was he nearly stayed until you increased the offer but an extra 100k - $200k in the halves is pretty tempting. Especially when he makes a name for himself there and becomes worth the 800k+ that good halves are on.
Yeah, that’s what I mean though.... an extra 100-200k may have convinced him to stay put....and I think it eoukd have been a very good investment. In any case, I’m really excited he’s coming to our club. I just hope he comes here feeling excited about the move and the challenge.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ur jokin right?

We are talking about Burton aren't we.
Im serious. Panthers opinions mean fuck all.
Burton is signed sealed a delivered next year.
If he wants out. There is only 1 way and that is dogs granting the release.

Panthers opinions mean Squat

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don’t know.... I see both sides of the argument. Coming to us is a gamble because we are a shambles at the moment. If we do not improve as a team it could be counter productive to his development. I think we can improve and that it will turn out to be a good move for him..... and in any case, he is signed and sealed.... but I do see both sides of the argument. The thing is, he didn’t have any clear path to play any position in first grade with Penrith when he signed with us. Now he does.
Agree wholeheartedly.
Penrith came to their senses and played him.
Its a risk with us but he will still be a great player and seems the kind of talent that will control his own destiny.

He'll get a go here to run a team.
If we dont improve, he will leave.
He'll still be only 24 and almost every team will still want him.
He'll thrive with the challenge of bring our "hero" rather than a "fill in" at Panthers.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree wholeheartedly.
Penrith came to their senses and played him.
Its a risk with us but he will still be a great player and seems the kind of talent that will control his own destiny.

He'll get a go here to run a team.
If we dont improve, he will leave.
He'll still be only 24 and almost every team will still want him.
He'll thrive with the challenge of bring our "hero" rather than a "fill in" at Panthers.
The problem you've got isn't Panthers. It's whether or not Barrett can make you a finals team again that players want to be at. Burton will be close to a million dollar player and mud 20s when his contract at the dogs is finished. There will be 3 or 4 teams desperate for a half willing to pay big money.