Official A New Breed in Hutchinson, Mann, Turpin and Faamausili

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Tbh I don’t like that style of player at lock unless we have very powerful front rowers. We probably need someone a bit more powerful at lock to compensate. I agree he has good hands but it’s not going to work very well if we can’t get on the front foot
I had the wild idea of playing Kikau @ lock ala Glenn Stewart but I've kept that too myself until now..

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I had the wild idea of playing Kikau @ lock ala Glenn Stewart but I've kept that too myself until now..
I see where you are coming from because it forces him to get involved and not wait for our lack of ball playing to set him up. Although I still want to see him cause some destruction on an edge especially now we have Critta either outside him or looping around from the back.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I see where you are coming from because it forces him to get involved and not wait for our lack of ball playing to set him up. Although I still want to see him cause some destruction on an edge especially now we have Critta either outside him or looping around from the back.
The Kikau issue if more of a Burton issue imo. Burton just doesn't have a clue how to use someone like Kikau who is more finesse than pure power these days. Kikau can do it all as backrower but if the bloke inside him is getting it wrong then Kikau just isn't going to do much.

I prefer Preston on the left edge over Kikau if we're going to stick with Burton (and he doesn't develop enough as a ballplayer), Preston is in the Cooper/Hoffman mould where he's just going to consistently run strong, well angled runs for 80 minutes. Having someone like this outside Burton makes things a lot simpler for him and should force him to play a lot more direct.

Anyway I don't know anything, the great Gus knows it all aye. Not allowed to have any real opinions on here anymore :tearsofjoy:

Bringbackbaa

Waterboy
Reaction score
Does anyone know if BBO is still with us now we have all these utlitities? Is he top 30 or train and trial?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The Kikau issue if more of a Burton issue imo. Burton just doesn't have a clue how to use someone like Kikau who is more finesse than pure power these days. Kikau can do it all as backrower but if the bloke inside him is getting it wrong then Kikau just isn't going to do much.

I prefer Preston on the left edge over Kikau if we're going to stick with Burton (and he doesn't develop enough as a ballplayer), Preston is in the Cooper/Hoffman mould where he's just going to consistently run strong, well angled runs for 80 minutes. Having someone like this outside Burton makes things a lot simpler for him and should force him to play a lot more direct.

Anyway I don't know anything, the great Gus knows it all aye. Not allowed to have any real opinions on here anymore :tearsofjoy:
I’ve always hoped Burton would come good but agree he needs to show more especially with a weapon like Kikau outside him. Slight mitigate was Kikau missed most of the season but if he gets a fair shake with injury this year a lot of pressure will be on Burton to get Kikau into the game. Maybe that’s why we signed so many utilities cause they’ll all get a crack in the halves

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Mann lock, IBS dog rotating backrow, lmao. What a joke.
With Mann, we need to try replicate what Dylan Walker is to Warriors. Like youve mentioned, pretty hard with avg middles

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Welcome to the doggies, you will all be given benefit of the doubt and we hope you kill it for us. Your now in the blue an white, you are respected and great assets… until proven otherwise when then you will be judged an held accountable.

bring on 24 !!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’ve always hoped Burton would come good but agree he needs to show more especially with a weapon like Kikau outside him. Slight mitigate was Kikau missed most of the season but if he gets a fair shake with injury this year a lot of pressure will be on Burton to get Kikau into the game. Maybe that’s why we signed so many utilities cause they’ll all get a crack in the halves
I think even Gus is worried about him now. He has showed zero improvement as a playmaker and game manager while his natural instincts are still those of a back. I still can't believe how uncomfortable he looks playing into the line and playing out the back, gets almost everything wrong.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mann lock, IBS dog rotating backrow, lmao. What a joke.
It's not ideal but the Panthers played Salmon there a fair bit last year and the Knights have played Mann at lock so it won't be foreign to them unlike playing Okunbur in the 2nd row. At least Salmon and Mann can tackle and play hard.

Our depth on the edges and the middle is pretty bad though. Hopefully a youngster or two impresses in the preseason and starts off well in NSW Cup and can play a role in FG a month or two into the NRL season.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's not ideal but the Panthers played Salmon there a fair bit last year and the Knights have played Mann at lock so it won't be foreign to them unlike playing Okunbur in the 2nd row. At least Salmon and Mann can tackle and play hard.

Our depth on the edges and the middle is pretty bad though. Hopefully a youngster or two impresses in the preseason and starts off well in NSW Cup and can play a role in FG a month or two into the NRL season.
Both Mann and IBS dog were crucified by their fans lol. They're just not good options and that was while playing in successful teams.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think even Gus is worried about him now. He has showed zero improvement as a playmaker and game manager while his natural instincts are still those of a back. I still can't believe how uncomfortable he looks playing into the line and playing out the back, gets almost everything wrong.
He probably is having doubts but he’s doubling down on the academy. It’s getting a little bit stacked atm. Some positions like halves and FR we are still maybe 1.5- 2 years away being ready for FG.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He probably is having doubts but he’s doubling down on the academy. It’s getting a little bit stacked atm. Some positions like halves and FR we are still maybe 1.5- 2 years away being ready for FG.
This academy is being a little overrated by our fans, obviously it's a positive thing but it's not as if we're going to have NRL talent consistently coming out of it giving us a load of options. Look at Penrith, they've had this for years yet how many halves other than Cleary and Luai have gone through that academy and gone on to be successful at Penrith or another club? I genuinely can't name one. Instead Penrith seem to be consistently picking up players like Cogger, SOS and Schneider who slot straight in and then pickup better contracts elsewhere.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
This academy is being a little overrated by our fans, obviously it's a positive thing but it's not as if we're going to have NRL talent consistently coming out of it giving us a load of options. Look at Penrith, they've had this for years yet how many halves other than Cleary and Luai have gone through that academy and gone on to be successful at Penrith or another club? I genuinely can't name one. Instead Penrith seem to be consistently picking up players like Cogger, SOS and Schneider who slot straight in and then pickup better contracts elsewhere.
I think Katoa at Dolphins would have been on par with Luai maybe even slightly ahead at the same age but yeah I know what you mean. There is a shortage of natural halves across the whole comp which is an issue.

We’ll eventually unearth a Lindsay Smith or Spencer Leniu but it won’t be for a while.
The signings we have just confirmed are basically just guys with FG experience to help nurture younger talent and set standards. They won’t turn the dial much on the field.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think Katoa at Dolphins would have been on par with Luai maybe even slightly ahead at the same age but yeah I know what you mean. There is a shortage of natural halves across the whole comp which is an issue.

We’ll eventually unearth a Lindsay Smith or Spencer Leniu but it won’t be for a while.
The signings we have just confirmed are basically just guys with FG experience to help nurture younger talent and set standards. They won’t turn the dial much on the field.
Totally forgot about Katoa.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
2025 sees a much bigger pool of middles available- no doubt this is what Gus is targeting although he could jag JT and others through cap pressure at other clubs
Whose JT. Theres a lot more props coming available for 2025 but theres really only half a dozen that are classed as good and established props like Hamlin-Uele, Jacob Saifiti, Hargreaves, Bromwich, Papalii and Burgess. The rest are fringe or young players that need development which we already have.

Maybe up and coming props like Terrell May, Jesse Colquhoun or Pasami Saulo may be a better option than paying big money for established props. Though Jacob Saifiti would be an exception especially if we can then get his brother. But I don't think there is going to be a flood of top middles available so development may be the go.

We will also have 4 of our own props contracts ending in 2024 in King, Patolo, Hughes and Knight so we either resign them or we will need to be on the hunt for several props. I think King and Patolo will probably be resigned.

Last edited: