Official A New Breed in Hutchinson, Mann, Turpin and Faamausili

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They're dumb questions. We've had ample of time to sign the right players and failed to do so, turning around now and asking who I'd sign instead after all this is stupid. Replacing shit with different shit still leaves you with shit
You forget one key part and that is, is the player wanting to come to us, we can offer every single player a contract and a substantial one at that and it doesn’t mean that they will sign up.

We are stuck with players who are willing to come and that’s it.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree there wasn't much in terms of guns but there was still quality options available. I'm not digging for names now but I'll do it tonight if you really want me too lol.

I've mentioned it before but Gus really doesn't give a shit about short-term results and has his eyes on the future. His recruitment tells us this. The bulk of his signings are what he thinks is an elite player for the future (Burton, Crichton, Mahoney, Kikau) and signs them on a long-term deal, players looking for a direct path to firstgrade (Preston, Karl) and/or players with basically no where else to go and simply looking for an opportunity (basically all these signings) and giving them short-term deals. If he finds a Preston then great, if not then he just cuts them loose (Pele, EQW) and moves on.

I don't particularly disagree with this but after 7 years of crap I simply just want us put out a competitive roster and watch a couple of decent games of footy from us. I'm just tired or it and tired of our fans trying to spin every signing as some 4D chess play by Gus.
So Gus goes and grabs some seasoned FOOTBALLERS and you're still not happy? Solid signings to go with what we already have rather we still need a prop.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree there wasn't much in terms of guns but there was still quality options available. I'm not digging for names now but I'll do it tonight if you really want me too lol.

I've mentioned it before but Gus really doesn't give a shit about short-term results and has his eyes on the future. His recruitment tells us this. The bulk of his signings are what he thinks is an elite player for the future (Burton, Crichton, Mahoney, Kikau) and signs them on a long-term deal, players looking for a direct path to firstgrade (Preston, Karl) and/or players with basically no where else to go and simply looking for an opportunity (basically all these signings) and giving them short-term deals. If he finds a Preston then great, if not then he just cuts them loose (Pele, EQW) and moves on.

I don't particularly disagree with this but after 7 years of crap I simply just want us put out a competitive roster and watch a couple of decent games of footy from us. I'm just tired or it and tired of our fans trying to spin every signing as some 4D chess play by Gus.
For our club, 7yrs is a long time in obscurity, but the way I view it, I’d rather have another 40yrs of being successful and competitive than jagging 1 or 2 seasons and seeing it go to sh!t again… my point being, we have to be patient for another year maybe two to yield greater things.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The wife is going to hate me. She's a Newcastle supporter. On the rare occasion I watched one of her games, everytime Kurt Mann would do something I would shout, "superhero Kurtmannnnnn"

At first it was funny. Then it started to annoy her. So I did it more. Now that he's playing for the Dogs, I think I'll have to change the doorbell to say, "Kurtmannnnnn"

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score

Dig away. I think you will find the list is shit

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The wife is going to hate me. She's a Newcastle supporter. On the rare occasion I watched one of her games, everytime Kurt Mann would do something I would shout, "superhero Kurtmannnnnn"

At first it was funny. Then it started to annoy her. So I did it more. Now that he's playing for the Dogs, I think I'll have to change the doorbell to say, "Kurtmannnnnn"
I'm Kurtman!

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For our club, 7yrs is a long time in obscurity, but the way I view it, I’d rather have another 40yrs of being successful and competitive than jagging 1 or 2 seasons and seeing it go to sh!t again… my point being, we have to be patient for another year maybe two to yield greater things.
Everyone thinks it’s going to auto Penrith spec in 4 years time. They got lucky with a great crop

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Typical meltdown on here with lines being drawn and sides taken.

On the surface they're decent pick ups who seem to have the right attitude and experience which we were severely lacking last year. I definitely can see the sense in adding them to our roster so I certainly don't have anything against them coming in.

Get everyone's annoyance at not getting some quality props in as we really need them. It's not like the club don't know this though, so I'll reserve judgement until the final roster is done.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have one of the weakest outside backs in the comp by far… top that with next to no forward pack to get us up field? Wtf is going on with retention and recruitment… better hope there’s better to come or tick us off for wooden spoon favs next season!
There are still some questions about who's going to take the fullback jersey, but I think our 1-5 are going to be very hard to stop.

We've recruited in a manner that makes me more confident we can get through injuries to key players next year.

I don't think anyone is under the impression that our forward pack is a strength right now. But the amount of activity every time a decent prop becomes available tells you how bare the market has been. Still a while before the season, so I think we'll snap up at least one more decent prop.

Bringbackbaa

Waterboy
Reaction score
Sportingnews is listing Tepai Moeroa, Eddie Blacker and Bayliss Brown from the broncos (yet to make his debut) along with Fuimono as the only props still without a contract for 2024. Surely we are chasing atleast one of these, along with Terrel May?!
Anyone with inside news here?
I agree our middle rotation would have to be close tot the weakest in the comp.
Surely there are some young unknowns in canberra, auckland and up in bronco territory worth having a crack at ........ our biggest problem is getting them to come to the dogs! Afraid to say it but we're struggling to attract talent now much like the tigers of the last 10 years

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't Preston a Manly junior, not Roosters?
Played Flegg for Roosters in 2021/22 before we signed him. Prior to that Norths (Rorters feeder club). I think he first played as a junior in the Manly comp.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dogs recruitment policy seems to be quantity over quality
Narrow minded view…. Gus has a plan, the guys coming in all have genuine NRL experience, are leaders and possess a strong work ethic, they also provide us with depth. These individuals were brought in to show the way for our younger guys coming through with the bonus of being experienced and staunch competitors.

There will be 1 or 2 marquee signings to come, we have a junior base that is winning comps and a rookie in Matalavae-Booth that is as big or bigger than Nelson Asofa-Solomona…

Bulldogs are on track.