2024 Round 0 - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Is this like dark Mexicans saying nice guy?

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is this like dark Mexicans saying nice guy?
Ive just always known there to be a distinct difference on what is considered a slur. Samoans are generally not held to the same standard as white people because of our shared experience of racism

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ive just always known there to be a distinct difference on what is considered a slur. Samoans are generally not held to the same standard as white people because of our shared experience of racism
I see. All I know is I ain't calling anyone that's Aboriginal a monkey and I make racist jokes all the time lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Is it racist for an Aboriginal person to call a Samoan a monkey?
Is monkey really a racial slur that people have frequently used against Samoans though? It is for Aboriginals and I think that's the difference. I think the equivalent would be Mam calling him a coconut.

Like I said in a previous post, all Spencer had to do was apologise and everyone probably moves on. Instead the blokes lunatic and appears more interested in his tough guy image lol.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Leniu is just a dickhead who's too stupid to realize that his antics are going to be divisive. That Vegas Ambassador role must've got to his head. I believe he said what he said, I don't think Mam would make it up, plus other Broncos players heard it.

Roosters may currently not have many indigenous players but he's got players in his team like Angus Crichton who's got strong ties to the indigenous community and he risks alienating himself from other players in the game. Come Origin time he's possibly going to be in the same team with JAC, Mitchell, etc

Best to just own it, apologize and move on instead of carrying on like a dickhead.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is monkey really a racial slur that people have frequently used against Samoans though? It is for Aboriginals and I think that's the difference. I think the equivalent would be Mam calling him a coconut.

Like I said in a previous post, all Spencer had to do was apologise and everyone probably moves on. Instead the blokes lunatic and appears more interested in his tough guy image lol.
I remember being called a monkey by police as a teenager. Monkey is used as a slur to all dark skinned people. I agree that Spencer is a lunatic lol

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember being called a monkey by police as a teenager. Monkey is used as a slur to all dark skinned people. I agree that Spencer is a lunatic lol
i honestly don’t think Spencer meant anything racial by it, but it comes down to how it’s perceived unfortunately.
They’ll now make an example out of Spencer because nrl are afraid of the backlash from indigenous players, media people and sponsors if they don’t

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would it have been better if Leniu called him a dog or a snake ? Would that spark racism?
A black man calling a black man monkey doesn’t sound racist to me , it’s the same with wogs .

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We spent 6 months having a cry over the huge loss of Averillo and the bloke can’t even crack a spot in dolphins 17 lol
Doesn’t make the 17 and there were some in here claiming Avo will turn into a SOO player under Bennett lol. There are sone terrible takes in this place

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn’t make the 17 and there were some in here claiming Avo will turn into a SOO player under Bennett lol. There are sone terrible takes in this place
Hindsight is a beautiful thing my bro
he won’t be in a top 30 squad by 2026 lol

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you call a Pacific Islander a monkey they will just look at you weird.

If you call them a coconut then you will prob get your ass beat.

There are two different races here who react differently to insults. What Leniu said to Mann was one of the worst insults he could have said to him.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Always wondered what would happen if Jack Wighton said a racist remark to an Aboriginal considering he’s got the English looks but is part Aboriginal . Do we decide case by case basis who is black / indigenous enough to drop these remarks. It’s just easier for them I guess to wipe anyone out who says it incase something like that happens.
Inherent in your question is that someone decided that that's it, context be damned, Monkey is a "racist" remark.

Make sure that if someone endears themselves to you, you don't call them playfully a "cheeky monkey"... it's nonsense.

And someone like me decides I'm not doing it, i'm not calling it a racists remark, i'm going back in time to where this wasn't "democratically decided", and not top-down culture bullshit, I get idiots shouting me down.

Language is colourful. Dependent on context, we can "fight like a tiger", "rat out our mates", "climb like a monkey", etc etc. FFS, anyone can have "monkey strength". We know the implication... but you *better* be on your P&Qs who you praise with something like this.

Absolute garbage.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Imagine the things Leniu heard on the field growing up in Mt Druit?
He's probably wondering what all the fuss is about?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I remember being called a drop kick piece of shit. That hurt!!

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you call a Pacific Islander a monkey they will just look at you weird.

If you call them a coconut then you will prob get your ass beat.

There are two different races here who react differently to insults. What Leniu said to Mann was one of the worst insults he could have said to him.
Is Mann full aboriginal?