2019 Federal Election

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lets see some leadership, if they link someones home to the public they are a coward, not an investigator.

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A Federal ICAC with real retrospective powers would be be nice, but now probably looks unlikely to happen.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Climate policies mainly. Even Marxist economists would argue that Labor's climate policies would lead to an economic drop due to investment in a non-returnable/low investment technology.

But the drop wouldn't be huge as the policies were a little soft.
I fail to see your point here?

Do we have a man made climate problem? 97% of studies say yes. Leading research centers like NASA say yes.

Hence do we need a transition away from fossil fuels? Yes.

Do we have all the answers to cheap, efficient renewable energy now? No.

Has every major transformation in human history come at a considerable cost? Yes.

Did labor hide or lie about this cost? No.

Were technological advancements in human history cheap and efficient from day dot? No.

Simply put it's part of the process to reaching cheaper and more efficient technology. However the investment has to start somewhere.

What are the predicted implications if we dont act? Catastrophic.

Couple this with the higher education spending (from child care to tafe fee reduction/removal), increase cost for businesses of all levels (penalty rates, increased regulation on workers, closing tax loop holes making it more expensive to operate in Australia), just to name a few.
Or we could look at coupling this with not acting on these issues.

The penalty rate cuts I've already addressed previously. Not a single job was created as they stated.

Franking credit where we continue to pay $6 to $8 billion in WELFARE to those that van afford. Completely going against the intention of the creation of superannuation, ie retirement fund vs investment/inheritance fund.

The inability to get out of our deficit problem (doubled in 6 years) and where a projected surplus only happened because there was an unexpected increase in iron ore prices, ie not through actual government policy.

Businesses, cant pay your workers a living wage? Then dont expect your workers to prop up your dream of running a business at the expense of their livelihood.

Want to run a business in this country, then pay your fair share of taxes so the government can pay for

*education - where your workers, from a young age, are taught literacy, numeracy and specialized education that businesses utilise

*hospital and health - where your workers are adequately looked after for businesses to maintain a healthy, efficient worker

*transport - where your workers can get to work with public facilities

It's quite a simple equation compared to the current one - greed. Wage growth is at record lows while profits continue to rise, it also doesnt help when Mathias corman has publicly said they designed their policies to keep wages low (although they dont have that degree of complete control over it)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Labor's policies are a bad thing. They're needed to balance the economy and protect the environment. I'm just pointing out that there would be some economic fallout. More than Liberals "do nothing" policies
How on earth isnt there economic fall out? The cuts to public services creates inefficiencies and inadequate bandwidth to provide those services. Thereby stressing the users of those services, which is us the people, there by the potential to create stresses out inefficient workers for businesses.

Hell we are, or used to be, a very innovative nation but funding cuts to the CSIRO arent going to help with that.

Theres already economic fallout but in other means. Our infrastructure is not able to cope. Theres going to be a breaking point.

And then not forgetting the economic indicators of a recession hitting us.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The government has broken its key promise, literally 3 days after the election. Cool.

In a possible silver lining for those with a mortgage, interest rates will probably need to be cut.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I fail to see your point here?

Do we have a man made climate problem? 97% of studies say yes. Leading research centers like NASA say yes.

Hence do we need a transition away from fossil fuels? Yes.

Do we have all the answers to cheap, efficient renewable energy now? No.

Has every major transformation in human history come at a considerable cost? Yes.

Did labor hide or lie about this cost? No.

Were technological advancements in human history cheap and efficient from day dot? No.

Simply put it's part of the process to reaching cheaper and more efficient technology. However the investment has to start somewhere.

What are the predicted implications if we dont act? Catastrophic.

Or we could look at coupling this with not acting on these issues.

The penalty rate cuts I've already addressed previously. Not a single job was created as they stated.

Franking credit where we continue to pay $6 to $8 billion in WELFARE to those that van afford. Completely going against the intention of the creation of superannuation, ie retirement fund vs investment/inheritance fund.

The inability to get out of our deficit problem (doubled in 6 years) and where a projected surplus only happened because there was an unexpected increase in iron ore prices, ie not through actual government policy.

Businesses, cant pay your workers a living wage? Then dont expect your workers to prop up your dream of running a business at the expense of their livelihood.

Want to run a business in this country, then pay your fair share of taxes so the government can pay for

*education - where your workers, from a young age, are taught literacy, numeracy and specialized education that businesses utilise

*hospital and health - where your workers are adequately looked after for businesses to maintain a healthy, efficient worker

*transport - where your workers can get to work with public facilities

It's quite a simple equation compared to the current one - greed. Wage growth is at record lows while profits continue to rise, it also doesnt help when Mathias corman has publicly said they designed their policies to keep wages low (although they dont have that degree of complete control over it)

How on earth isnt there economic fall out? The cuts to public services creates inefficiencies and inadequate bandwidth to provide those services. Thereby stressing the users of those services, which is us the people, there by the potential to create stresses out inefficient workers for businesses.

Hell we are, or used to be, a very innovative nation but funding cuts to the CSIRO arent going to help with that.

Theres already economic fallout but in other means. Our infrastructure is not able to cope. Theres going to be a breaking point.

And then not forgetting the economic indicators of a recession hitting us.
You're reading between the lines rather than reading the lines. You're looking for hidden meaning in my words that just isn't there. There's no hidden meanings in my words. No hidden worship of Liberals policies. You're getting angry because Labor lost and anyone who doesn't praise them as Gods are obviously the enemy in your eyes.

I'm not covering support for a party. I'm not covering the extensive micro economics of each party. I'm only covering facts and probabilities of the macro economics.

Climate change is a real problem. Fact. Combating climate change will cause economic downturn. Fact. There's a large economic gap between rich and poor. Fact. Penalty rates and forced wage rates will lower the amount business owners will invest in other ventures and lower the amount of people hired. Fact.

Labor's policies are required. Fact.

Labor's taxes are higher and their spending is much higher. This causes economic downturn. But as I said, it's something that needs to happen.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The government has broken its key promise, literally 3 days after the election. Cool.

In a possible silver lining for those with a mortgage, interest rates will probably need to be cut.
I did laugh about that today. In their defense though, the only reason it's not being pushed through is the delay in forming government. But it's still funny 'cause they promised something that there was a very decent chance they couldn't deliver.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You're reading between the lines rather than reading the lines. You're looking for hidden meaning in my words that just isn't there. There's no hidden meanings in my words. No hidden worship of Liberals policies. You're getting angry because Labor lost and anyone who doesn't praise them as Gods are obviously the enemy in your eyes.

I'm not covering support for a party. I'm not covering the extensive micro economics of each party. I'm only covering facts and probabilities of the macro economics.

Climate change is a real problem. Fact. Combating climate change will cause economic downturn. Fact. There's a large economic gap between rich and poor. Fact. Penalty rates and forced wage rates will lower the amount business owners will invest in other ventures and lower the amount of people hired. Fact.

Labor's policies are required. Fact.

Labor's taxes are higher and their spending is much higher. This causes economic downturn. But as I said, it's something that needs to happen.
No I'm not reading in between the lines.

Your original post which I replied to was this :

I should also point out that Labor's policies would most likely lead to long term economic issues but that's another thing altogether.
Hence I questioned which of those policies would have had a major impact on the economy in the long term.

Minimum wage? We dont even know what labor were aiming for. Unions wanted a certain percentage (cant remember what it was) and labor themselves said that was too high an increase and would effect business. If memory serves me correctly labor suggested two thirds to a half lower than what the unions proposed. But it was never set in stone what the intended increase was going to be. Labor said they needed treasury to look at the figures and would only do that if in government.

Tax loop holes, they cost us. They cost the australian population. I personally couldnt give a crap about big business whinge about closing tax loop holes because they're not pulling their weight with our society, in fact with any society around the world. When asshole companies like apple, google, Facebook etc use tax loop holes in every country they operate in to pay minimal tax and amass massive profits, nah they can get stuffed. It's about time they contribute to a better society and given their massive profits I highly doubt that closing tax loop holes is going to have an effect on them.

Case in point is Walmart and Amazon being forced to up their minimum wages in the US after their employees put up a fuss with public support from Bernie Sanders. Even after upping their minimum wage, to $15 an hour, they're still making obscene profits. Again their CEOs are making hundreds of millions annually and their employees just had their wages lifted to $15 an hour. I mean that's bullshit dude and this idea that big business cant afford it, nah not acceptable in my books. Local example being news Ltd getting an $880 million tax rebate.

Put simply I dont think we're anywhere near the center of the employee corporation balance.

So no, I wasnt accusing you of anything, I was questioning the reasoning that long term those policies would have damages. The fact is we're still a market for those corporations, they can still make profit from us. Just because it's more expensive to run with additional regulations, than what it is today, wont deter those corporations especially when Australia tends to pay a much higher price for the exact same products than what other countries do

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A Federal ICAC with real retrospective powers would be be nice, but now probably looks unlikely to happen.

Scummo did propose a federal ICAC. The only problem was it was going to happen behind closed doors with the results not being released to the public

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The government has broken its key promise, literally 3 days after the election. Cool. In a possible silver lining for those with a mortgage, interest rates will probably need to be cut.
You can't push through legislation when votes are still being counted and check counted by the AEC to form the Senate.

Until AEC finish their counting and confirmation counts, government can't be sworn in, and parliament recalled to make these new legislations stick.