1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Opinion 2018 Season Preview - Zero Tackle

Discussion in 'Bulldogs Discussion' started by chisdog, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Spoonman84

Spoonman84 Kennel Addict

Its hard to know how the Dogs of War style will hold up with out actually seeing what they are doing but I guess you could look at the Dragons over the last few years.
    They had fast line speed and actually hit in the tackle instead of wrapping the ball and wrestling like most teams but they have hit a wall half way through the season as this style hurts the opposition but also takes its toll on the team dishing it out as well.

• Like Like x 2
  2. KLil

KLil Kennel Addict

Im with you.. if the dogs play to their potential we will be up there.. im looking at 5th.

3. D.O.W.

D.O.W. Kennel Enthusiast

It’s a realistic article, but a part of me says we can sneak into the 8 with the right attitude and some tough love along the way.

Pay will no doubt have the guys playing for each other and the Woods/Klemmer relationship is going to be infectious within the playing group and the fact they are the current Kangeroo book ends has to instill a huge amount of confidence out on the field.

Origin is going to hurt us as the two blokes above will be sorely be missed.

But hey, if we can pick up some unwanted talent mid season that fit into our culture and buy in similarly to the Perrett/Inu signings from a few years back, we could be a genuine dark horse!

4. KiwiDog7

KiwiDog7 Immortal

My concern is this too

Is bash and crash sustainable for the whole season

5. EB18

EB18 Forum Regular

Klemmer just basically confirmed Josh Jackson will be named captain tonight

6. Malla

Malla *********

Feel like this year could be same as 2009. Everybody had us written off and we ended up a game away from the GF. Recruitment slightly similar. Not saying we will make the prelim finals but I think we will make the 8 as aside from Storm, Roosters and Cowboys there's no other team we probably can't match it with.

As per what you have said above with Pay's influence, at the very least we will be competitive week in week out and as a fan that's all I want aside from winning of course.

7. Trafford10

Trafford10 Kennel Enthusiast Gilded

I have to say that after sacking Des and burning a $1 million plus (let's not kid ourselves) I will be very disappointed if the club doesn't improve on the 10 wins of last season.

I think 13 wins is a pass mark for 2018.

8. BlackDawg

BlackDawg Forum Regular

I will preface my thoughts with my euphoria at seeing Des getting punted and Pay being appointed. I can genuinely see us going places in the future but 2018 is 8th to 10th for me. The bottom line is Pay will need 3 years to get the roster and play style right before we are GF contenders. Currently, not only is our salary cap a mess but our juniors are also a mess. Unfortunately this will take more than 12 months to rectify. In 2018 we are also gambling on a lot of positional changes working and veteran players not being injured. I think what 2018 will accomplish is to identify those players who embrace Pay's play style and those who don't. Pay can flush the turds and keep the gems to build progressively better rosters for 2019 & 2020. Concurrently I am hoping we are also addressing our junior talent identification front and genuinely have some exciting talent coming through rather than the tripe I have seen over the last 3 seasons.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Velvet Thunder

Velvet Thunder Waterboy

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Dean Pay needs time and this season we will be in a rebuilding stage. Can't see us finishing as low as the article suggests, but think people are expecting to much from us to be able to finish in the top 4, especially with the likes of Cowboys, Roosters and Melbourne

10. jpneves

jpneves Forum Regular

Biggest difference will be the players! No brain numbing Desball/by the book/must be here on this play to shackle them. I think we can def make the 8! There is so much luck as injury plays a huge part of we stay fit we can def compete for the top four

11. G_Dog_Rota

G_Dog_Rota Super Moderator Staff Member Gilded x2 Premium Member

All I know is that the dogs perform best when they are ridden off... So bring it on.... I'm just excited for a new season and a raft of changes that hopefully result in a team that we can once again be proud of...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Captain Kickass

Captain Kickass Modaraytahhhh ! Staff Member

Looking at 2018 through different glasses .... the ONLY benchmark I have for the year is "Can this collective of players and coahces win 12 games ?".

If we do, we get to play finals.
    And once you get there, you re-assess the plan.

I like finals like I like titties.
    Always welcome.

13. albatross

albatross Forum Regular

They played under the 5m rule (in defence) back in the 80's, so it was a bit easier to get up and back quick in defence, although they did mostly play 80 minutes so it probably evens out. I don't think we'll play like they did back then. I reckon Pay is just talking about some of the other great attributes we had, like playing for each other and not taking a backward step. Good line speed should come if we get those things right.

I used to hate the way Des had us waiting for the opposition in defence when they were coming out of their half. Just ridiculous. We don't need a rest on the field, we just need a proper pre-season that gets us fit. Sounds like we're getting it.

14. utility half

utility half Immortal

A lot of people outside the club and in the media probably don’t expect too much of us. That’s not necessarily a bad thing...

Really keen for the season to kick off. I think we’re going to do pretty well.

15. Desler

Desler Forum Regular

Agree. We’d be the best team to bet on this year.

16. Snowmann

Snowmann Party Rocker

I honestly don’t give a rats where they finish as long as they can entice me back to the game to watch it live. 5 years ago, I had full season gold memberships, this year, I’m down to 3 games, I just couldn’t stand to spend all that money and waste in on the most boring brand of football I have ever laid eyes on. GIVE ME THE ENTERTAINERS OF WAR.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Chris Harding

Chris Harding Steam Powered Dog Premium Member

The prediction from Gus Gould at the start of 2004 was that we would come 13th.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. mez

mez Waterboy

Entertainers of War....love it!

19. heckler

heckler Kennel Enthusiast

Footy starts next weekend for us. Off-season officially over.
    Good luck Canterbury.

20. DoggiesUtd

DoggiesUtd ps3- DoggiesUtd

the good thing is, we will be play differently to the last few years of boring boring football
    we dont know what to expect, so neither will the opposition and thats what im excited about
    it feels good to be excited about the game again, because last yr was the pretty much the worst ive ever seen in my 30yrs of supporting the club

ill be happy if we make the finals!

• Like Like x 2