2009 - Largest crowd figures in history

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
The Telstra Premiership has tonight recorded the highest regular season attendance in the game’s history.

Tonight’s crowd of 35,112 for the match between Brisbane and Canberra took the overall attendance for Telstra Premiership matches this season to 3,081,849.

That mark surpassed the previous best of 3,061,338, set in the 20-team ARL competition in 1995. Earlier today attendances surpassed the previous NRL record of 3,024,149, set in 2007.

The 2009 Telstra Premiership will also record its second highest ever average attendance (16,051), after the 2005 season (16,466).

It is only the second time in the code’s history that the regular season average has surpassed 16,000.

“Thank you to all our members and fans for your support of the Telstra Premiership this season and to our players, coaches and officials who have made it all happen,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said tonight.

“Considering the challenges we have faced this year, this is a reminder of how important our game is to people.

“We now have a great finals series to look forward to over the next month and I would like to wish all our Telstra Premiership and Toyota Cup finalists the best of luck.”

http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestn...y/default.aspx

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Despite all the doom and gloom surrounding our great game this year, this is awesome news and well done to all who have contributed. Hopefully we can continue to build on memberships and keep increasing that average.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
They owe a big thanks to Hazem's final home game.

It pisses me off that despite all the games I have been to this year - both home and away, and even interstate - I've had to fork out a ****load of money despite having a Season Members pass.

Kennel Pass - $220 or whatever it was.
BlueTongue Stadium, Suncorp Stadium - had to pay despite being our home games.
All away games bar ANZ stadium - Full price, with no concessions for Season members.

I'm not a tigharse - but seriously, us die-hard NRL fans are paying WAY too much to attend NRL games.

They've got their homosexual little record of highest attendance in a year - but at what bloody cost? They're laughing in our faces with all the revenue they make.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
They owe a big thanks to Hazem's final home game.

It pisses me off that despite all the games I have been to this year - both home and away, and even interstate - I've had to fork out a ****load of money despite having a Season Members pass.

Kennel Pass - $220 or whatever it was.
BlueTongue Stadium, Suncorp Stadium - had to pay despite being our home games.
All away games bar ANZ stadium - Full price, with no concessions for Season members.

I'm not a tigharse - but seriously, us die-hard NRL fans are paying WAY too much to attend NRL games.

They've got their homosexual little record of highest attendance in a year - but at what bloody cost? They're laughing in our faces with all the revenue they make.
totally agree i believe members should get bigger discounts on tickets to away and other teams games.

members are the ones who are more likely to attend away games so by giving them a bigger discount improve your chances of getting a bigger crowd.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
totally agree i believe members should get bigger discounts on tickets to away and other teams games.

members are the ones who are more likely to attend away games so by giving them a bigger discount improve your chances of getting a bigger crowd.
Thing is Costa, we are the games' biggest revenue makers - and we are the games most loyal supporters.

But we don't get the credit we deserve for it.

If you take people like me and you out of the NRL, the competition would fall to absolute bits!

I don't mind paying 250 bucks for a Kennel Membership - hell I'll pay 350 if I have to! But at least tell me I can go to any away game without having to pay full price, and some leniency for flights travelling interstate would be very nice too.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
umm we do get discounts to away games, wtf u on about lol. If you get the tickets on game day from the stadium its like 10 bucks

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
umm we do get discounts to away games, wtf u on about lol. If you get the tickets on game day from the stadium its like 10 bucks
some stadiums dont do it.

about 2-3 away games this year said they dont do discounts for other clubs season members.

i copped it at penrith and newcastle from memory

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Most of the time it's not.

Wasn't the case at Kogarah, wasn't the case at WIN, wasn't the case at Penrith, wasn't the case at Suncorp, wasn't the case at SFS.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
some stadiums dont do it.

about 2-3 away games this year said they dont do discounts for other clubs season members.

i copped it at penrith and newcastle from memory
Newcastle is another one.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Most of the time it's not.

Wasn't the case at Kogarah, wasn't the case at WIN, wasn't the case at Penrith, wasn't the case at Suncorp, wasn't the case at SFS.
umm it was at WIN and Penrith.

Suncorp isnt as its a non NSW team, Kogarah was a sell out hence you couldnt get discounted prices (normally they do have the discounts). Not sure about SFS, i know last year they did.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
umm it was at WIN and Penrith.

Suncorp isnt as its a non NSW team, Kogarah was a sell out hence you couldnt get discounted prices (normally they do have the discounts). Not sure about SFS, i know last year they did.
I don't remember it being at WIN and Penrith, but anyway.

SFS wouldn't give me a discount on Friday night.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't see how this is such great news at all.

In 14 years since 1995 the crowds have barely increased and there are only 4 less teams. You might say those 4 teams take away from the total crowd figures and you're right but taking players away from those 4 teams and putting them on the other 16 teams while reducing the amount of easybeat teams and "strengthening" the competition would improve crowds, not reduce them.

I'm sick of the NRL and their backwards thinking and self congratulatory ways. It filters down to the fans too. We get a 2% increase in fans and everyone celebrates. We still get 16k on average and that's a good thing when we were getting that 2 and 5 years ago?

The AFL get 90k to club games about 5 times a season in regular season games. They sell out Telstra Dome/Eithad about another 10-15 times a year. Then there are the crowds in Adelaide and Perth which dwraf any NRL teams crowds besides Brisbanes.

And we get one crowd of 42k, a record crowd in 10 plus years for a club game, and everyone goes crazy. It's great that we got that crowd, but instead of getting carried away patting ourselves on the back why not find out what can be done each and every round by each and every team to make that happen on a regular basis?

Why not boost the average to 22k? Why not aim high instead of celebrating mediocrity (the special skill of the NRL) year after year and not having any real significant growth?

Why settle for second best when the game can achieve so much more?

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thats the same post you posted last year for the same article just added a little :p <3

But i agree 16k is pretty sad when the AFL is absolutely demolishing us

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thats the same post you posted last year for the same article just added a little :p <3

But i agree 16k is pretty sad when the AFL is absolutely demolishing us
Haha. Who? Me?

I don't even remember an article like this last year but my point is and always has been the game hasn't grown in these areas like it should have, yet the NRL are happy with stagnation and mediocrity. In 14 years the crowds haven't really gotten any better. And that's something to get excited about?

To me that embodies just how backwards Rugby League is in this country and that's sad because if we had some progressive, proactive and positive people running the game we might actually get somewhere for once instead of going backwards or standing still.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
I agree with you 100% on this Ben. Although we shouldnt be worrying about AFL crowds cause they have one of the biggest averages in world sport. Our 16k average is not too bad but i admit, we must build on this.

The membership drive that has been pushed in the last year is a great start and we must keep pushing that to increase that core group of fans. The NRL has to be smarter at scheduling games, especially having more day games and scheduling more blockbusters and maybe having a big game each week at the SFS or ANZ where they promote the hell out of it to get crowds of over 30k

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see how this is such great news at all.

In 14 years since 1995 the crowds have barely increased and there are only 4 less teams. You might say those 4 teams take away from the total crowd figures and you're right but taking players away from those 4 teams and putting them on the other 16 teams while reducing the amount of easybeat teams and "strengthening" the competition would improve crowds, not reduce them.

I'm sick of the NRL and their backwards thinking and self congratulatory ways. It filters down to the fans too. We get a 2% increase in fans and everyone celebrates. We still get 16k on average and that's a good thing when we were getting that 2 and 5 years ago?

The AFL get 90k to club games about 5 times a season in regular season games. They sell out Telstra Dome/Eithad about another 10-15 times a year. Then there are the crowds in Adelaide and Perth which dwraf any NRL teams crowds besides Brisbanes.

And we get one crowd of 42k, a record crowd in 10 plus years for a club game, and everyone goes crazy. It's great that we got that crowd, but instead of getting carried away patting ourselves on the back why not find out what can be done each and every round by each and every team to make that happen on a regular basis?

Why not boost the average to 22k? Why not aim high instead of celebrating mediocrity (the special skill of the NRL) year after year and not having any real significant growth?

Why settle for second best when the game can achieve so much more?
well said, completely agree.

AFL bosses are laughing their asses off atm

Status
Not open for further replies.