1980 Reserve Grade Grand Final

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
was the reserve grade even shown on TV that grand final day? I seem to remember only the last 5 or 10 minutes being televised and I would have been glued the TV.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Love the notation on the program *imported player. Programs today would be full of asterisks.

Of course Dowling came from the Bulldogs. Originally plied his trade in the Oaks out back of Campbelltown and had one year at Wests after he left Parramatta. Was saddened when he was killed in a car accident back in "83.I remember the game vs Tigers at Belmore where Brian Lockwood smashed his jaw in mid late 70's. Cat of n act.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Very sad indeed, had forgotten about that accident.GD played for Australia in 1980 too not sure when the tests were but pretty handy to have the incumbent Australian fullback at your disposal!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anyone remember a reserve grade game in the 80’s where a helicopter flew in to BSG during a dogs v dragons reserve grade game because a player got seriously injured. I think it was a Friday night game

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone remember a reserve grade game in the 80’s where a helicopter flew in to BSG during a dogs v dragons reserve grade game because a player got seriously injured. I think it was a Friday night game
Yes. Greg Buckley i think it was.

TrioBench 1995

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Love the notation on the program *imported player. Programs today would be full of asterisks.

Of course Dowling came from the Bulldogs. Originally plied his trade in the Oaks out back of Campbelltown and had one year at Wests after he left Parramatta. Was saddened when he was killed in a car accident back in "83.I remember the game vs Tigers at Belmore where Brian Lockwood smashed his jaw in mid late 70's. Cat of n act.
Any stats on peter smith where did he come from or year he was born , just a matter of interest , cheers ?

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Arthur Beetson Reserve grade for Parramatta. When even an immortal wasn't bigger than the club. Let that sink in modern day players.
Thanks for the team lists Heckler.

A few years ago, I used to do lap swimming over at Ashfield Pool and Pat English our hooker in the 1980 reserve grade GF would go there with a bunch of dudes who did a swim squad type thing.

I found out who he was from one of the guys there who was a mad keen Tigpies supporter.

I used to talk to Pat about things Bulldogs related. He still really loved the Dogs all those years later.

He is a high school school teacher now (actually probably retired as I knew him a few years ago) and a really good guy.

He had all these arthritis issues in his right hand a wrist from punching his opposing hooker in scrums.

Those were the days right?

Pat played 57 games for the Dogs (but I think he didn't get too many first grade gigs as our first grade hooker and captain at the time Pat was playing was Dr George).

Last edited:

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Was at the game. Slept overnight at the SCG entrance with mates. Gates opened early morning. The main game started at 3.00pm. Jon English played that day, he was a traditional favourite at GF day. A real class act. The reserve grade game was a corker, a great lead into the first grade game. I remember a kid Allan Geelan? Having a sensational game, he did not kick on with his career. The first grade game was a classic with the iconic Steve gearing try. I miss the afternoon grand finals
Fantastic for you Hackenbush. Thanks for sharing your story.

I was 14 and living up on the north coast with my parents at the time so had to be content with watching the game on TV. I remember feeling so nervous as kick-off drew closer.

The Dogs 1980 premiership was absolutely awesome as it was really only my second year of following league and the Bulldogs.

"The Entertainers" run from 5th place through to the 1979 GF really captured my imagination and dreams as a young kid. We fell 1 game short that year to Dragons scum. Made up for it the next year going one better against Roosters (who I somehow knew to hate even back then).

Cheers
RookieDog

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Any stats on peter smith where did he come from or year he was born , just a matter of interest , cheers ?
Player 438

Player #438
PositionFront Row, Second Row
Height187cm
Weight89kg
DOB25th Nov 1958
Debut1979: Round 13 vs North Sydney
Other ClubsSouth Sydney, Illawarra, Gold Coast Giants

Peter Smith joined Canterbury in 1977 as a second row forward.

After joining the team mid-season, Peter became a regular member of the Under 23 team and played in the play-offs.

After missing most of 1978 due to injury, Peter returned in 1979 to become a regular second row in reserve grade.

Peter received his opportunity in first grade against North Sydney as a replacement. He play prop in the Grand Final against St George.

In 1980, Peter started the season in first grade but was relegated to reserve grade for John Coveney. He became a regular member of the reserve grade team and played in the Premiership winning team against Parramatta.

In 1981, Peter started in reserve grade but missed most of the season due to injury. He played in the reserve grade Preliminary Semi-Final against St George.

In 1982, Peter joined South Sydney to play 27 games between 1982 and 1983. In 1984, Peter joined Illawarra to play 38 games between 1984 and 1986.

In 1988, Peter joined the Gold Coast team to play 25 games between 1988 and 1989.

1607657859176.png
GREAT player, if injury treatment was better back then he could have been a regular first grader!

TrioBench 1995

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Player 438

Player #438
PositionFront Row, Second Row
Height187cm
Weight89kg
DOB25th Nov 1958
Debut1979: Round 13 vs North Sydney
Other ClubsSouth Sydney, Illawarra, Gold Coast Giants

Peter Smith joined Canterbury in 1977 as a second row forward.

After joining the team mid-season, Peter became a regular member of the Under 23 team and played in the play-offs.

After missing most of 1978 due to injury, Peter returned in 1979 to become a regular second row in reserve grade.

Peter received his opportunity in first grade against North Sydney as a replacement. He play prop in the Grand Final against St George.

In 1980, Peter started the season in first grade but was relegated to reserve grade for John Coveney. He became a regular member of the reserve grade team and played in the Premiership winning team against Parramatta.

In 1981, Peter started in reserve grade but missed most of the season due to injury. He played in the reserve grade Preliminary Semi-Final against St George.

In 1982, Peter joined South Sydney to play 27 games between 1982 and 1983. In 1984, Peter joined Illawarra to play 38 games between 1984 and 1986.

In 1988, Peter joined the Gold Coast team to play 25 games between 1988 and 1989.

View attachment 19202
GREAT player, if injury treatment was better back then he could have been a regular first grader!
Thanx for the comprehensive info , jogged the memory when I seen his picture , hard player and was worth watching cheers mate

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Born in 1958 ( the year after me!)and started his nrl career with the Dogs. Also went on to play for Souths, Steelers and Gold Coast.

Played 19 first grade games for the Bulldogs over two years. Scored the grand total of two tries while at Souths.