1980 Reserve Grade Grand Final

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1607221602032.pngFound this Big League for sale, the Eels were stacked with First Grade quality players including John Kolc, Bob O'Reilly, Garry Dowling, Graham Murray, Phil Mann & as mentioned above, Arthur Beetson.1607221602032.png

Last edited:

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1607222036944.pngPeter Smith is wearing jersey 10

Eels had John Muggleton and Eric Grothe playing in the Under 23s Grand Final that day. Pretty sure Bob O'Reilly also played in the Reserve Grade Grand Final.

Last edited:

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gday , after a copy of the 1980 reserve grade grand final, berries v eels, the best game of footie i have ever seen live . The berries were very much outsiders and won in extra time. Willing to pay good coin for a decent copy. Geoff Connell was coach and Mal Creevey captain. They were a young side and up against Artie Beetson who was captain of the eels . The first time the berries won two comps on grand final day . Thanks.
I remember the game... great build up to the First Grade final.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
View attachment 19065Peter Smith is wearing jersey 10

Eels had John Muggleton and Eric Grothe playing in the Under 23s Grand Final that day. Pretty sure Bob O'Reilly also played in the Reserve Grade Grand Final.
Thanks for posting this
Noticed the 4th Mortimer was on the bench for the dogs
Parra had almost a first grade squad
Hugh effort from the boys
Also noticed a Grimaldi playing for parra

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 19065Peter Smith is wearing jersey 10

Thanks for posting these teams. Great memories. The Dogs were a squad predominantly from the local clubs. Parra were full of 1st graders so the Dogs were rank outsiders. I was at the game and remember Phil Mann, a 6' 6" harry high pants with monster thighs heading towards the members corner for the match winner when the Dogs fullback, Ray Fisher (about 5'6" but chunky) came across in cover and launched himself at Mann and took him into touch. If it had been in 1st grade, I'm sure it would be up there with the 'Sattler tackle' that gets replayed every GF day. I am told the boys have the best reunions.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great memories i was at the game too, recollections are a bit dim of the reserve grade game(we were packed in like sardines and i was only a short lil fella lol) but what a day it was for a 14 yo kid like me and my younger brother and the old man(who was a Wests supporter and former lower grade player).To this day i don't think i've ever seen a kicker roost a ball as big as Greg Brentnall did on that great day.

Any luck with finding a copy of the game OP? i haven't any recollection who telecast the games back then any chance it was maybe CH 10?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Great memories i was at the game too, recollections are a bit dim of the reserve grade game(we were packed in like sardines and i was only a short lil fella lol) but what a day it was for a 14 yo kid like me and my younger brother and the old man(who was a Wests supporter and former lower grade player).To this day i don't think i've ever seen a kicker roost a ball as big as Greg Brentnall did on that great day.

Any luck with finding a copy of the game OP? i haven't any recollection who telecast the games back then any chance it was maybe CH 10?
I remember Rex MESSUP and his broadcasts. Channel 2 also had rights to games. Here are some timelines which might help work out what TV stations broadcast the game. If you have a copy of the Bulldogs GF of 1980 that will also give a clue. Pretty sure that lower grade games were shown although back that far I may be mistaken...
During the late 1980s and early 1990s, Warren Boland commentated on the ABC-TV's Saturday afternoon New South Wales Rugby League / Australian Rugby League matches, generally alongside co-caller David Morrow until becoming chief caller in 1990 with Morrow's move to Channel 10. He also commentated with fellow ex-players David Wright, John Peard and Arthur Beetson, as well as Debbie Spillane. Boland also covered the 1990 Kangaroo Tour of Great Britain and France for the ABC, calling the two tests the Australian Kangaroos played against France on the French leg of the tour.[4]
From 1974 to 1982 he made Seven’s Sunday night news bulletin compulsory for league fans, when he presented the sports report but withheld the result of the rugby league match broadcast directly after. Mossop and his “sideline eye” Barry Ross then brought the league match of the round into lounge rooms.

He later joined TEN from 1986 to 1991.

From the early 1970s till 1990 on Sydney channels Seven and then Ten he was the voice of rugby league and the pre-eminent TV match broadcast caller.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rex Mossop indeed called the GF so your likely spot on with the ch7 theory @dogluva.
Also dont recall if they televised the lower grades back then but possibly did.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That was very uncalled for.

My dad actually had footage of this match but no chance I’m sharing it with you after that if he still had it.
maybe you could have posted that comment instead of calling out "old people"? In austraya mate its called mind your fucken manners ya dig?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
maybe you could have posted that comment instead of calling out "old people"? In austraya mate its called mind your fucken manners ya dig?
It was a light hearted comment.
And im not aussie im leb, just lived here since a baby.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
There is a facebook group called Dan's NRL collectibles. He tends to be a mainstay on Vossy's shows, when they get old tapes or memorabilia they show off. If he doesn't have it. It won't exist. If you put a post up there I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.

Any if any others of you guys join that. Be respectful. It's not a group to shit talk.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gday , after a copy of the 1980 reserve grade grand final, berries v eels, the best game of footie i have ever seen live . The berries were very much outsiders and won in extra time. Willing to pay good coin for a decent copy. Geoff Connell was coach and Mal Creevey captain. They were a young side and up against Artie Beetson who was captain of the eels . The first time the berries won two comps on grand final day . Thanks.
There used to be a guy on facebook or eBay that had 100s of games going back to the 50’s and 60’s . He would be a possibility