1980 Reserve Grade Grand Final

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes. Greg Buckley i think it was.
1988. That was a real tragedy. Very promising young player who was the one who presented the 18th Jersey at Belmore in 2018 when we played the Raiders there. That was an inspiring night to see him in the middle of Belmore.

SLushY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thanks for the team lists Heckler.

A few years ago, I used to do lap swimming over at Ashfield Pool and Pat English our hooker in the 1980 reserve grade GF would go there with a bunch of dudes who did a swim squad type thing.

I found out who he was from one of the guys there who was a mad keen Tigpies supporter.

I used to talk to Pat about things Bulldogs related. He still really loved the Dogs all those years later.

He is a high school school teacher now (actually probably retired as I knew him a few years ago) and a really good guy.

He had all these arthritis issues in his right hand a wrist from punching his opposing hooker in scrums.

Those were the days right?

Pat played 57 games for the Dogs (but I think he didn't get too many first grade gigs as our first grade hooker and captain at the time Pat was playing was Dr George).
Nope Mr English is still teaching at my old highschool, I remember asking him about some Bulldogs stuff way back then and I remember him telling every second student that he played for the Dogs too :tearsofjoy: (ironically he taught maths...)

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nope Mr English is still teaching at my old highschool, I remember asking him about some Bulldogs stuff way back then and I remember him telling every second student that he played for the Dogs too :tearsofjoy: (ironically he taught maths...)
He used to date my babysitter in 1979 (no joke). I was jealous, so he was never a favourite player for me!

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
My old stomping ground as well.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for the team lists Heckler.

A few years ago, I used to do lap swimming over at Ashfield Pool and Pat English our hooker in the 1980 reserve grade GF would go there with a bunch of dudes who did a swim squad type thing.

I found out who he was from one of the guys there who was a mad keen Tigpies supporter.

I used to talk to Pat about things Bulldogs related. He still really loved the Dogs all those years later.

He is a high school school teacher now (actually probably retired as I knew him a few years ago) and a really good guy.

He had all these arthritis issues in his right hand a wrist from punching his opposing hooker in scrums.

Those were the days right?

Pat played 57 games for the Dogs (but I think he didn't get too many first grade gigs as our first grade hooker and captain at the time Pat was playing was Dr George).
Thank Wyzguy. It was his list.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Born in 1958 ( the year after me!)and started his nrl career with the Dogs. Also went on to play for Souths, Steelers and Gold Coast.

Played 19 first grade games for the Bulldogs over two years. Scored the grand total of two tries while at Souths.

He was in a ditch with his old man and it collapsed and killed him ( father )as they were plumbers or something like that
remember reading that in the Torch

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was at the game. Slept overnight at the SCG entrance with mates. Gates opened early morning. The main game started at 3.00pm. Jon English played that day, he was a traditional favourite at GF day. A real class act. The reserve grade game was a corker, a great lead into the first grade game. I remember a kid Allan Geelan? Having a sensational game, he did not kick on with his career. The first grade game was a classic with the iconic Steve gearing try. I miss the afternoon grand finals
Great memories there..i also slept out front at the gates and spent most of the night over at the little shop that had a pinball machine in it..haha...also one if the funniest things ive ever seen happened , my mate Grant slept out front at the gates using a bbq chook as a pillow..when he woke he has the worlds biggest pimple on his face...absolutely hilarious at the time...great day...bloody long few days though...good times

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was at the game. Slept overnight at the SCG entrance with mates. Gates opened early morning. The main game started at 3.00pm. Jon English played that day, he was a traditional favourite at GF day. A real class act. The reserve grade game was a corker, a great lead into the first grade game. I remember a kid Allan Geelan? Having a sensational game, he did not kick on with his career. The first grade game was a classic with the iconic Steve gearing try. I miss the afternoon grand finals
Oh yeah, Alan Geelan was a really good club player

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Awesome share! Thanks! I have never seen this. I guess some minor consolation for Pomfret and Moffett being added to that group photo considering they weren't included in the First Grade Premiership photo. I am sure they are disappointed they didn't get on the field for either game!

steve_mortimer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some fantastic memories shared! Thanks to one and all for the great stories.

That Parramatta reserve grade team sure had some talent! I do miss the days of watching all three grades on GF day. As to a video of the game? My old fella said Channel 10 were the first to show all three grades on the day live and in full so there is every chance that a copy of the full match won’t exist.

One option would be to contact someone at Channel 7 regarding archival tapes. I friend of mine use to be a cameraman with 9 and he said they would often get Uni students requesting file footage which cost a bit but was worth it.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Noticed a Glen Mortimer on the reserves list, thought there were only three brothers in Steve, Chris and Peter...

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Glen Mortimer was an Australian Schoolboy Representative - built more like Steve Mortimer, not Chris Mortimer - spent time with the Sharks after he couldn't get a crack in First Grade with the Dogs.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gday , after a copy of the 1980 reserve grade grand final, berries v eels, the best game of footie i have ever seen live . The berries were very much outsiders and won in extra time. Willing to pay good coin for a decent copy. Geoff Connell was coach and Mal Creevey captain. They were a young side and up against Artie Beetson who was captain of the eels . The first time the berries won two comps on grand final day . Thanks.
I have about 10 minutes of footage of the game which I got from the club in around 1996. I was looking for a copy of the 1980 1st grade GF & they weren't on video yet, so I contacted the club & Graeme Hughes who was working at Ch 7 at the time (1996) as Ch 7 telecast the game. I got the full 1st grade & 10 mins of reserve grade from the club. Graeme said he could run off a copy for me but it would cost a few hundred dollars, so I didn't bother.

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a side note, Jarrod Mullens father Steve played in 80 res gf for dogs, Jarrod looks like the old man