News ‘It was pretty ordinary’: Bulldogs players break ranks over Ciraldo’s ‘shark bait’ punishment

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote in todays' article re: a player who left the club. Well it has to be a player who has left THIS season, because Ciraldo was not there.

Only 2 players that can be who have left on a mid-season transfer: Davey and Brown. So there's a 50/50 chance we're right here. Edit* - 4 if you include Allan and Schoupp, but that was far too early in CC's tenure.

RFM's manager is absolutely filthy we're trying to move him on. The club have confirmed he is free to look elsewhere, at least according to the DT.

The player "leaving training" incident happened several weeks ago. Do me a favor - look at the team lists between Cup and FG and see which player has not been named for a few weeks, despite not having any injuries (at least in the injury update).

If you do the math, you will get your answer.
Yep and adding to that, not long after Nu is then released. Then while the other bloke is on mental leave, he travels to Newcastle to see him and he posts the photo on Instagram. So it cant all just be a coincidence that the article states that’s it’s a former dogs player who was recently let go and a very good friend of his….

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
This is an out there take - even for you bro
well they had a handshake agreement in 2008 to join the roosters, did he meet nick politis on an elevator randomly?

in 1995 he met with all the bulldogs players and tried to get them to break contract with the club, he managed to wrestle away mccracken, pay, dymock, smith, dallas and others

in the mid 2000's while he was a director at the roosters they definitely targeted our key players, and it definitely wasn't only because he wanted what was best for his club, he urged his rival club south sydney VIA ceo paul dunn to up their offer to thurston in 2004 to $200,000 so he was willing to help what was supposed to be his fierce rival if it meant to hurt us

then on commentary in 2007 he took his chance to mock us as outdated and predictable, which tricked the fans into voting for a new board who dismantled and modernised the club

he couldn't stand our club continually being a force, especially since it was a member of the family steve folkes that was doing it, he held a grudge

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
danny weidler is a hated name for bulldogs fans but he only said what phil gould wanted, you can't hate weidler and love gould

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe someone can explain to me why wrestling 12 players (was it really 12, or was it 4, or was it 30, take your pick) in training is any different to tackling and then wrestling to the ground 12 players in a game? Except maybe they aren't opposition players that are trying to win a game, steaming at you at with a 10+ metre run up, with bumpers up, legs pumping and protection from the waist down (must avoid that hip drop) and protection from the tits up (must avoid that HIA charge).

Sounds to me like pretty standard fatigue training, repetition, keep going under duress, mental and physical hardening up.

Always a Bulldog

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
well they had a handshake agreement in 2008 to join the roosters, did he meet nick politis on an elevator randomly?

in 1995 he met with all the bulldogs players and tried to get them to break contract with the club, he managed to wrestle away mccracken, pay, dymock, smith, dallas and others

in the mid 2000's while he was a director at the roosters they definitely targeted our key players, and it definitely wasn't only because he wanted what was best for his club, he urged his rival club south sydney VIA ceo paul dunn to up their offer to thurston in 2004 to $200,000 so he was willing to help what was supposed to be his fierce rival if it meant to hurt us

then on commentary in 2007 he took his chance to mock us as outdated and predictable, which tricked the fans into voting for a new board who dismantled and modernised the club

he couldn't stand our club continually being a force, especially since it was a member of the family steve folkes that was doing it, he held a grudge
So Rod he has done all this to get the Bulldogs to fail? I don’t know Rod, because not only do the Bulldogs fail, he fails as well. I just can’t see him tarnishing his reputation. He seems to revel in the idea of being a saviour and turning struggling clubs, who have lost their way, back to being a force again. However, I do not discount your assertion, I just feel it is highly unlikely considering Gould’s considerable ego.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know that
Well, Anasta has been critical of the approach, so clearly he's not getting that from Mase and Ogre?
Anasta is a media whore. If it'll attract eyeballs to his shitty show, he'll say anything.
I'm embarrassed that he was a part of our '04 premiership.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It is Ray
To what extent was he outa line?

Just stood up for his team mate?
Made representations to coach as Club captain on behalf of young player?
Interfered with Ciro's authority?
Talked down the club to potential signings?...hiow much would they listen to RFM anyway?

We just dont know about the truth around this rumour either. I'm waiting for more info from Gus and Ciro who have already said they have not been approached by any players?

jake6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I get RFM wanting to back the players, fair enough he feels this is his duty as club captain, but he’s gotta understand he’s the root cause of the problem now. From everything that I have heard and been told, he’s the one that’s created this. I really hope the player on mental health leave doesn’t become a pawn in this. He’s still young and a decade of footy ahead of him.
Is the young player Topine ?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
gus gould was jealous of the club and spent a long time trying to ruin it, i have no idea why people think he should be the rebuilder
There's zero logic in that, he rebuilt the Chooks (they were a basket case) and Penrith (they were next to bankrupt) and set the Warriors on the course of using their pathways that they had been letting go to Union. Looks far more like a builder to anyone not blinded by hatred of Gould.

at the nswrl during the 90's when he signed contracted key bulldogs players away under the cover of saving them from super league (he tried to sign them all away),
That's Super League versus the ARL war, Gould was aligned with the ARL (and Packer) hence convincing players to not join Super League was totally understandable.

as a director at the roosters, ricky stuart talked about how he pushed back against gus wishes to raid the bulldogs but once he was replaced by gould puppet fitler that became a concerted effort to decimate our rooster in 2007 and 2008
Maybe a fact check;

Tony Grimaldi retired at the end of 2006, did Gould cause that?
Adem Perry Retired in 2007, did Gould cause that?
Brent Sherwin went to Castelford in 2008, did Gould recruit him?
Roy Asotasi went to Souths in 2007, did Gould recruit him?
SBW deserted to Union in 2008, did Gould cause that?
Reni Maitua went to Cronulla in 2008, did Gould recruit him?

The facts say the "decimation of our roster" was hardly any of Gould's doing. The vast majority were simply quality players that we couldn't afford to keep or players that wanted to retire.

even think gus has his fingerprints on the sbw departure, sonny in 2008 had a handshake agreement to join the roosters when he returned to the nrl, gus got him for an exclusive interview earlier that year and used nine network danny weidler to justify his decision and trash folkes and the club
SBW's handshake agreement was with Politis, who he had a strong (family like) relationship with. Gould had zero to do with it, he was at Penrith by then.

weidler is close to gould and could be described as his mouthpiece, if you recall back then he used every opportunity to tarnish the bulldogs
Weidler is a muck raking journalist, always was, he looked for and made his reputation on the "bad news" stories, not just us but any club.

: sorry i forgot to say why this post is relevant to the topic
It's not relevant and factually inaccurate anyway.

if they are looking for the mole then look no further than gould, he is the mole that tore down the bulldogs
Are you seriously suggesting that Gould is leaking to Rothfield, you are farking delusional.

Always a Bulldog

royce

Waterboy
Reaction score
Bulldogs player breaks ranks - doesn’t name player - [emoji102][emoji102]

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
So Rod he has done all this to get the Bulldogs to fail? I don’t know Rod, because not only do the Bulldogs fail, he fails as well. I just can’t see him tarnishing his reputation. He seems to revel in the idea of being a saviour and turning struggling clubs, who have lost their way, back to being a force again. However, I do not discount your assertion, I just feel it is highly unlikely considering Gould’s considerable ego.
no I’m not saying anything about him trying to ruin the club now, he definitely is trying his hardest to succeed

but the damage has been done

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you do the math, you will get your answer.
"Journos" struggle with comprehension, grammar, & spelling. They have no chance at handling maths, hence their 2 + 2 = a ham sandwich routine.

What I think we have here is a conflation of events, some actual and some fictitious; contrived to create/embellish a situation for clicks 'n' eyeballs. (Muckraking and gutter-talk is, after all, their stock-in-trade.)

No doubt there is an element/kernel of truth in at least some of what is reportedly going on, but as others have noted, I am almost certain it is not the full story, nor perhaps even the main story of what is actually going on behind-the-scenes.

* Are some players unhappy with the amount/difficulty of training? Maybe, but there's no evidence. (other than, "trust us, we have an anonymous text message") Ciraldo has denied it; said no one has brought that to him. Gus said, "Certainly, no player has complained to us at the club about anything around training or culture." Of course, they would say this, but until there is (actual) evidence to the contrary (eg. a player coming out and saying it AND putting their name to it), then I am calling BS on this.

* Did a player walk out of training because of a "wrestling punishment"? Gus said, "No one's walked out. I can tell you that."

* Has a player requested personal leave to deal with mental health issues? Yes, confirmed by Gus & Ciraldo. Neither linked that fact to the "training punishment" - Gus said the player on leave finished the week of training before a request was made for leave. There is no reason to disbelieve this assertion. There is no suggestion (except by some journo-scum) that the player has taken leave because they are not a hard trainer and couldn't (or wouldn't) handle the workload.

* Does this mean there is not underlying unrest within the playing group and club? No. Clearly the club "not winning" is a major problem.

* Is Ciraldo blameless in this? No. Trying to deflect the problems of a "losing culture" onto the players is to miss the forest for the trees.

My mind is drawn to a critical point of our season, just before the bye. Ciraldo threatened changes, and to demand accountability and standards. He went straight on the following Tuesday to name many of the same culprits that had supposedly not met standards. Now if that doesn't send the wrong message and impact poorly on "the culture" then I don't know what would. Clearly "standards" are applied selectively.

The players not dropped feel invulnerable. The players not picked in their place feel they are not rewarded for the effort they are putting in (For the coach). We cannot look past some of the issues now cited by Ciraldo as, at least partly, of his own making.

Yes, the players need to be held accountable, BUT so does the coach AND the football manager.

I hope when they are going through their season review (honestly), that incident is not overlooked. If it is (or it isn't even recognised) we will be in exactly the same position next year. I hope Ciraldo can improve and become the Head Coach we all hope he can be; but unless he takes a long, hard look in the mirror and makes real and profound changes he is well on the way to becoming Barrett MkII.

We might not have the strongest roster in history, but writing off 2023 as just "not the right players" (again) will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is clear what is required for these players…. A spoon full of cement to harden the fuck up!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
"Journos" struggle with comprehension, grammar, & spelling. They have no chance at handling maths, hence their 2 + 2 = a ham sandwich routine.

What I think we have here is a conflation of events, some actual and some fictitious; contrived to create/embellish a situation for clicks 'n' eyeballs. (Muckraking and gutter-talk is, after all, their stock-in-trade.)

No doubt there is an element/kernel of truth in at least some of what is reportedly going on, but as others have noted, I am almost certain it is not the full story, nor perhaps even the main story of what is actually going on behind-the-scenes.

* Are some players unhappy with the amount/difficulty of training? Maybe, but there's no evidence. (other than, "trust us, we have an anonymous text message") Ciraldo has denied it; said no one has brought that to him. Gus said, "Certainly, no player has complained to us at the club about anything around training or culture." Of course, they would say this, but until there is (actual) evidence to the contrary (eg. a player coming out and saying it AND putting their name to it), then I am calling BS on this.

* Did a player walk out of training because of a "wrestling punishment"? Gus said, "No one's walked out. I can tell you that."

* Has a player requested personal leave to deal with mental health issues? Yes, confirmed by Gus & Ciraldo. Neither linked that fact to the "training punishment" - Gus said the player on leave finished the week of training before a request was made for leave. There is no reason to disbelieve this assertion. There is no suggestion (except by some journo-scum) that the player has taken leave because they are not a hard trainer and couldn't (or wouldn't) handle the workload.

* Does this mean there is not underlying unrest within the playing group and club? No. Clearly the club "not winning" is a major problem.

* Is Ciraldo blameless in this? No. Trying to deflect the problems of a "losing culture" onto the players is to miss the forest for the trees.

My mind is drawn to a critical point of our season, just before the bye. Ciraldo threatened changes, and to demand accountability and standards. He went straight on the following Tuesday to name many of the same culprits that had supposedly not met standards. Now if that doesn't send the wrong message and impact poorly on "the culture" then I don't know what would. Clearly "standards" are applied selectively.

The players not dropped feel invulnerable. The players not picked in their place feel they are not rewarded for the effort they are putting in (For the coach). We cannot look past some of the issues now cited by Ciraldo as, at least partly, of his own making.

Yes, the players need to be held accountable, BUT so does the coach AND the football manager.

I hope when they are going through their season review (honestly), that incident is not overlooked. If it is (or it isn't even recognised) we will be in exactly the same position next year. I hope Ciraldo can improve and become the Head Coach we all hope he can be; but unless he takes a long, hard look in the mirror and makes real and profound changes he is well on the way to becoming Barrett MkII.

We might not have the strongest roster in history, but writing off 2023 as just "not the right players" (again) will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Spot on.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wait that’s what our rule actually is? I was here thinking you lot were taking the piss he actually makes them wrestle 8 on 1 that’s fucken funny.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sorry I disagree, players in a losing team should not be deciding what the acceptable standards are unless we are all happy for another 10 years of this shit. Maybe a majority vote of senior players, could also be a way to weed out the senior players with the wrong attitude. But for me acceptable standard would always be if you are starting at 8 AM you arrive before 8 AM, so if something goes wrong you will not be late. It is about taking responsibility

I agree - I've always treated work like - if I start at 8am I'm there at 7am. Besides that's when you chat to your teammates/workmates and talk shit and build bonds. Personally if it is Topine I'm surprised, I saw him as a tough little bugger who loved this type of shit - certainly looks like it on the field.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
[QUOTE="jpneves, post: 4831427, member:
I see the NRL wants a ‘please explain’ now? Will they now have the bunker watch training and serve crazy suspensions to coaches now for training methods, they seem to think if anything looks bad for the sport it needs to be outlawed.
[/QUOTE]
If that is the case, then:
The Bunker for obvious reasons,
Annersley for his sh!t excuses covering up the refs incompetencies,
V'landys for his sh!thouse administration and interference with the rules,
The Betting Agencies for fůcking our game,
Should ALL be outlawed!.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Their target is the club as a whole, did you really think they care about the player/s...
The Drunkenfield and his Lies un-Ltd are only using him/them to rage their war against our club !!!
Best was drunkfield couldn;t count on the NRL podcast - said Gus had been here 3 years - all his mates on the podcast were laughing at him - dumb old ****