News ‘If he wasn’t the best halfback he wouldn’t play’: Shane Flanagan addresses elephant in the room as Bulldogs call looms

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's going to have a better chance of getting the best from Kyle. He'll want to play better and harder for his dad. The demanding style of coach he is, is what the club and Kyle need. If there were great halfback options available we wouldn't need to bank on guys like Kyle, but who knows, if we do sign Shane, we may get the halfback we need along with it (eventually). Remember Nathan Cleary took a couple of seasons to really learn how to take control of a side and even longer to dominate and be the half he is now. In his early days, he did the basics (kick and defence) well and other players picked up in areas like try assists etc. Most halves take years to reach their potential. Moses is another example. He has only dominated in the last few years. The thing in Kyle's favour of finding that form, is his defence has been really impressive, and is a solid foundation for the rest of his game.
Bro, LOL in what universe did Nathan Cleary take a couple of seasons to learn how to take control and then even longer to dominate?LOL
Nathan is like 23 years old AND was the NSW halfback in 2018 after only debuting in 2016 FFS,

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can Flanagan stop talking about his son or a job that hasn't been confirmed as his yet?

How do people not see the Kyle/Shane storyline as being a problem or a massive distraction? He's already making a million excuses for him despite the fact that Kyle was struggling at the Roosters before then..

This is more proof that if Shane gets the job, Kyle cannot be at the club. It's a recipe for disaster.
Bro what about everyone on here suddenly becoming special ed Kyle sympathisers now that his father is in the running for the job after bagging him relentlessly and wanting him offloaded for the last two seasons BAHAHAHAHAH

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Kent is right on this. The club's treatment of me has been very bad. It has improved a little this year under Gus, but Barrett's management of me last year set my career back three years.

Kent is wrong about the Roosters though. We shouldn't write me off just because they lost patience with me. That club has no loyalty. Politis would shop his own wife around if she burnt dinner.
You are not a FG footballer no amount of good coaching will correct this. Go learn a trade for your own sake

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You are not a FG footballer no amount of good coaching will correct this. Go learn a trade for your own sake
If you are qualified to coach the Bulldogs, put in an application....until then, daddy knows best!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If you don’t want to ruin your dads coaching career you’d do what’s best for him and leave the bulldogs
Lol who says I would ruin his career? You lot want everyone to leave until they go to another club and prove they can play. Hell, fans on this forum even wanted to get rid of JMoz and Ennis.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol incorrect, bro. Both Robinson and Barrett showed appalling man management skills and have stunted my development. It's clear from the interviews dad has given he feels the same. So if you want him at the club, wou'll have to get used to the sight of the 'gun steering the ship.
The only thing that stunted your development was a lack of talent.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He gotta get super fit like Johns and take the line on more then chop them in defence

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I reckon Shane and Kyle are like Ivan and Nathan, in that they have a similar relationship to their sons. They'd be hard but realistic.

Most fans are saying they wouldn't want the two together. I reckon it has a high probability of reaping rewards. And he'd drop him if he wasn't producing what's necessary.
It really is that simple.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He would probably make sure he is the only halfback at the club lol

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's going to have a better chance of getting the best from Kyle. He'll want to play better and harder for his dad. The demanding style of coach he is, is what the club and Kyle need. If there were great halfback options available we wouldn't need to bank on guys like Kyle, but who knows, if we do sign Shane, we may get the halfback we need along with it (eventually). Remember Nathan Cleary took a couple of seasons to really learn how to take control of a side and even longer to dominate and be the half he is now. In his early days, he did the basics (kick and defence) well and other players picked up in areas like try assists etc. Most halves take years to reach their potential. Moses is another example. He has only dominated in the last few years. The thing in Kyle's favour of finding that form, is his defence has been really impressive, and is a solid foundation for the rest of his game.
If you have to rely on your Dad coaching you to try harder and better , well I am sorry to say he will never make it.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Shut up Flanno, it’s about Haas atm no one cares what you have to repeat for the 845th time LOL

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bro, LOL in what universe did Nathan Cleary take a couple of seasons to learn how to take control and then even longer to dominate?LOL
Nathan is like 23 years old AND was the NSW halfback in 2018 after only debuting in 2016 FFS,
Nathan Cleary did take a couple of years to learn to take control. There are a number of significant differences though between Nathan and Kyle

1. Nathan was playing along an experienced, champion half, James Maloney, who ran things and his experience would naturally have led him to be the commanding half

2. Nathan was still developing and everyone could see how great his potential is, so Penrith were content to let Nathan slowly develop behind Maloney. When Nathan was ready, they dumped Maloney

3. Kyle is fucking shit, so none of this applies to him, released at first opportunity is all that applies to Kyle

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I struggled at the Roosters because the idiots signed a young halfback, expecting him to play like Cooper Cronk. They placed too much expectation on me and and I was given no time to find my feet, being dropped from the side on several occasions. Roosters were almost as bad for my development as the dogs were last year. Not sure if I am this club's long term halfback or not any more. Confidence is quite low. But I was highly rated when coming up through the junior ranks and there is a good reason for that. I am a good player, I have just been managed very poorly by a selfish club, and another club which had no idea what it was doing. Love my daddy and so glad he believes in me.
Unfair to call us selfish, now stupid, I would agree with. Playing avagina at 7 for so long

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Shut up Flanno, it’s about Haas atm no one cares what you have to repeat for the 845th time LOL
You really want to get into a bidding war and pay upwards of a million for a prop, bro? Haas would be good for the right price, but he isn’t going to turn the team around. He’s been at the Broncos for years and it took Reynolds and a good coach to turn them around. Not a prop.

I can play an Adam Reynolds type role if given the right mentorship.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Nathan Cleary did take a couple of years to learn to take control. There are a number of significant differences though between Nathan and Kyle

1. Nathan was playing along an experienced, champion half, James Maloney, who ran things and his experience would naturally have led him to be the commanding half

2. Nathan was still developing and everyone could see how great his potential is, so Penrith were content to let Nathan slowly develop behind Maloney. When Nathan was ready, they dumped Maloney

3. Kyle is fucking shit, so none of this applies to him, released at first opportunity is all that applies to Kyle
Your first two points prove my point.

*Cleary had the advantage of playing eith a champion half for several seasons
and playing with quality snd experience can be pivotal to a young player’s development. I wasn’t even given a full season at the roosters.

*Penrith showed patience. I was a highly rated junior. I’m clearly not shot. The reality is neither Robinson or Barrett showed patience with me and that has stunted my growth as a player and actually led to regression.

Dad knows how good I can be. He watched me dominate the under 9s. He knows….