News ‘If he wasn’t the best halfback he wouldn’t play’: Shane Flanagan addresses elephant in the room as Bulldogs call looms

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely, and Shane was loud and clear to make that point.. Kyle knows it and so does he. And the fact that Kyle brings daddy to the club, it’s good for us.

Kyle steps up and we see the best of him because daddy is coach. Good for us, Kyle doesn’t pull finger and daddy drops him and other players that don’t, even better for us.And we in return get a coach with great stats and winning ways… it’s all positives. a win win situation.!! And we need some wins now. Had enough heartbreak and losses over the years.
He's going to have a better chance of getting the best from Kyle. He'll want to play better and harder for his dad. The demanding style of coach he is, is what the club and Kyle need. If there were great halfback options available we wouldn't need to bank on guys like Kyle, but who knows, if we do sign Shane, we may get the halfback we need along with it (eventually). Remember Nathan Cleary took a couple of seasons to really learn how to take control of a side and even longer to dominate and be the half he is now. In his early days, he did the basics (kick and defence) well and other players picked up in areas like try assists etc. Most halves take years to reach their potential. Moses is another example. He has only dominated in the last few years. The thing in Kyle's favour of finding that form, is his defence has been really impressive, and is a solid foundation for the rest of his game.

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He's going to have a better chance of getting the best from Kyle. He'll want to play better and harder for his dad. The demanding style of coach he is, is what the club and Kyle need. If there were great halfback options available we wouldn't need to bank on guys like Kyle, but who knows, if we do sign Shane, we may get the halfback we need along with it (eventually). Remember Nathan Cleary took a couple of seasons to really learn how to take control of a side and even longer to dominate and be the half he is now. In his early days, he did the basics (kick and defence) well and other players picked up in areas like try assists etc. Most halves take years to reach their potential. Moses is another example. He has only dominated in the last few years. The thing in Kyle's favour of finding that form, is his defence has been really impressive, and is a solid foundation for the rest of his game.
Couldn’t agree more. There is definitely more benefit than not with this situation. Far better than having to deal with another coach with no experience or know how. We will deff start climbing the ladder again, no ifs/buts/maybes about it. flanno was and will be a great coach again. No nonsense is what he is and it will get RESULTS.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Kent is right on this. The club's treatment of me has been very bad. It has improved a little this year under Gus, but Barrett's management of me last year set my career back three years.

Kent is wrong about the Roosters though. We shouldn't write me off just because they lost patience with me. That club has no loyalty. Politis would shop his own wife around if she burnt dinner.
The way you treated Roosters and us is very bad tbh

You're just not made for FG. Reserves and MAYBE ESL is more to your level.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The way you treated Roosters and us is very bad tbh

You're just not made for FG. Reserves and MAYBE ESL is more to your level.
Lol incorrect, bro. Both Robinson and Barrett showed appalling man management skills and have stunted my development. It's clear from the interviews dad has given he feels the same. So if you want him at the club, wou'll have to get used to the sight of the 'gun steering the ship.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Lol incorrect, bro. Both Robinson and Barrett showed appalling man management skills and have stunted my development. It's clear from the interviews dad has given he feels the same. So if you want him at the club, wou'll have to get used to the sight of the 'gun steering the ship.
The only reason why I don't want him at our club is you bro. Sorry lol

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one thing that has not been mentioned is that Kyle basically grew up and developed his game on pre 6 again days , in which game stopped all the times , defence and attacks were basically set . This is when he debut at sharks . He hasnt shown necessary skills as a halfback in 6 again era that you have to play eyes up footy and attack is generally more off the cuff and supposedly less stoppages and set attack formations

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't see why we wouldn't sign and proven nrl coach and premiership winning coach?

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure all these interviews and articles about Flannagan Coaching the Bulldogs on Fox and other News publications is doing wonderful things for how Gus would see him. Its almost like they are trying to publicly shame Gus into selecting Shane and then puts them in the position to turn around and say we got Shane the Bulldogs coaching job we did the Job Interview for Gus...

Even without some of the comments he has made on Kyle I am starting to cool on the Idea.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure all these interviews and articles about Flannagan Coaching the Bulldogs on Fox and other News publications is doing wonderful things for how Gus would see him. Its almost like they are trying to publicly shame Gus into selecting Shane and then puts them in the position to turn around and say we got Shane the Bulldogs coaching job we did the Job Interview for Gus...

Even without some of the comments he has made on Kyle I am starting to cool on the Idea.
Almost right about the intentions, if gus doesn’t sign him and dogs go bad next year .. they have ammunition the whole year to be hammering gus for not signing Flanagan

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are basing their views on the fact that Shane would have free reign to continue to select Kyle in the team if he is underperforming. I simply don’t believe that. We saw the amount of pressure the media and us fans put on Baz to perform and we saw how that ended for him. If Shane had the same mindset as Baz the pressure will build on him and he’d have no choice but to change something. If Shane gets the job and fails, his coaching career is all but over and I think we can all agree he doesn’t want that. He wouldn’t let continuing to pick Kyle get in the way of his desire to coach an NRL team long term.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Shane knows that if he wants the job he only needs to come out officially and make a statement about wanting to pursue a genuine half back with experience to partner Matty Burton and distance himself from his special ed son Kyle "if" he got the job, but he hasn't done that ... Hmmm