News ‘I didn’t believe it’: Rising NRL star’s cause of death revealed as paramedics recall shocking scene

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Manly Sea Eagles player Keith Titmuss was suffering from heatstroke when he collapsed at training and later died, a coronial inquest has been told.

The 20-year-old lost consciousness during pre-season training at the team’s headquarters on Sydney’s northern beaches on November 23, 2020.

He was rushed to hospital but he was pronounced dead later that day.

Mr Titmuss was on the verge of making his NRL debut at the time of his death, which left his family and fellow players devastated and desperate for answers.

On Monday, Lidcombe Coroners Court heard a team of medical experts had independently concluded the player had been suffering from heat exhaustion when he suddenly collapsed.

The team had been involved in the first pre-season training session of the year on the morning of November 23 when Mr Titmuss “was observed to be in distress”.

He was thought to be enduring cramps and his teammates helped him stretch for a few minutes.

However, counsel assisting the coroner Adam Casselden said the 20-year-old player’s condition “deteriorated” and he became “confused and disorientated”.

He said Mr Titmuss was unable to respond to the coaching staff or any of the other players and began to suffer a seizure.

The seizure lasted nearly seven minutes and culminated in Mr Titmuss emitting “an involuntary howl”.

When paramedics arrived at the training facility, they observed the 20-year-old had a temperature of more than 41C.

“I didn’t believe it. I’d never seen a temperature like this before,” one of the paramedics said.

Despite his temperature, the inquest was told no one used ice packs or other measures to cool Mr Titmuss. Instead, efforts were focused on his seizure and associated symptoms.

The inquest will hear from several medical experts who will assess the circumstances of Mr Titmuss’ death and the response to his collapse.

In summarising their findings, Mr Casselden said the evidence “leaves no real doubt that Keith suffered exertional heatstroke”.

Deputy State Coroner Derek Lee will also assess whether coaching staff were adequately trained in assessing heat exhaustion and whether NRL policies are appropriate.

The response of a sports doctor called to the site and paramedics will also be examined in an effort to learn from Mr Titmuss’s untimely death.

The inquest will hear from Manly Sea Eagles head of football John Bonasera as well as former high-performance chief Don Singe and assistant coach Michael Monaghan.

Mr Titmuss’s former teammates Josh Schuster, Moses Suli and Sione Fainu are also expected to give evidence.

The inquest is expected to run for a week and a half.

More to come

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/b2dc30f8a688c000808a9134cacfb3ce

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Very big story this, wonder what will come from it.
I doubt anything will come of it. Was over 3 years ago. Just encourage players to ensure hydration is adequate. Hydralites are pretty common now, so it’s an odd one.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I remember Hazem El Masri had something similar like this happen to him at training once during the 1998 pre-season in Summer. He couldn't have any food or even water as he was fasting during Ramadan, but thankfully he was ok.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
could have huge implications, no doubt the family would be seeking compensation.

meanwhile des hasler finds himself another job in goldy kicking back

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I remember playing on hot days and throwing up sometimes, from severe exhaustion. Happens quite a bit

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I doubt anything will come of it. Was over 3 years ago. Just encourage players to ensure hydration is adequate. Hydralites are pretty common now, so it’s an odd one.
They didn't take reactive action to cool him down. This comes down to poor training and systems/protocols in place. No duty of care by Manly/Nrl. Avoidable ?...possible. Let's hope the NRL knuckles down on this.

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I thought that procedures were improved after the Danny Shepherd situation. He was a front rower for the Roosters and suffered heat stroke in an early season match. He was in a coma, near death, for 11 days (I had to Google that). He made a full recovery but I don't think he played in the NRL again.

I'm sure I remember that the NSWRL instigated a number of changes after that to protect players in hot conditions. How could a player not be looked after correctly in this era?

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I just can’t understand how they would not have tried to
cool him down with ice and water. Muscle convulsions heat you up more on a hot day it would be the first thing I think you would do

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought that procedures were improved after the Danny Shepherd situation. He was a front rower for the Roosters and suffered heat stroke in an early season match. He was in a coma, near death, for 11 days (I had to Google that). He made a full recovery but I don't think he played in the NRL again.

I'm sure I remember that the NSWRL instigated a number of changes after that to protect players in hot conditions. How could a player not be looked after correctly in this era?
Yep..remember that clearly.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Major stuff up, why didn't they call an ambulance and speak to someone who actually know what to ask and look for.

Doesn't matter what we all think, someone died and there is no coming back from that.

Last edited:

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you doubt?
Playing or training in intense heat is much more prevalent these days with sport being professional, players training every day, and clubs having doctors and conditioners.

It's no different to concussion. League can't afford to be in the spotlight for flogging players in intense heat.

I thought it was stupid that CC flogged our guys in the heat a day or 2 before our trial game last year. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the start of the player rebellion against training methods.

Could be just a coincidence but we did suffer one of the worst injury tolls last season due to this training mentality/philosophy...

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why would you doubt?
Playing or training in intense heat is much more prevalent these days with sport being professional, players training every day, and clubs having doctors and conditioners.

It's no different to concussion. League can't afford to be in the spotlight for flogging players in intense heat.

I thought it was stupid that CC flogged our guys in the heat a day or 2 before our trial game last year. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the start of the player rebellion against training methods.

Could be just a coincidence but we did suffer one of the worst injury tolls last season due to this training mentality/philosophy...
I think it’s just an unfortunate situation. I’d say it’s more on players and the bravado culture. Should have said coach I’m sorry I need a drink. I don’t think a coach/trainer would restrict fluids

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it’s just an unfortunate situation. I’d say it’s more on players and the bravado culture. Should have said coach I’m sorry I need a drink. I don’t think a coach/trainer would restrict fluids
I don’t want to comment too much on such a sensitive situation but I agree with the advancements in sports science your hydration strategy is a big part of training anyway. Add in the heat and you would think it would have been a big focus.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I actually played one of the game before it.. it certainly was a stinking hot day.