News ‘I didn’t believe it’: Rising NRL star’s cause of death revealed as paramedics recall shocking scene

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not sure the anger towards Des in this one. He genuinely cares for he’s players, always has. Usually being to loyal tbf. This wasn’t intentional, just a tragic accident. People talking about heat stress monitors, I wonder if these are even used today by all clubs

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not sure the anger towards Des in this one. He genuinely cares for he’s players, always has. Usually being to loyal tbf. This wasn’t intentional, just a tragic accident. People talking about heat stress monitors, I wonder if these are even used today by all clubs
I don’t think it was on purpose, but he should take some liability as it happened on his watch.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe explains why our players often looked unfit. Too much stress at training.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maybe explains why our players often looked unfit. Too much stress at training.
It’s funny as people calling for punishments etc of Des and Manly staff, are same ones calling our squad extremely unfit, poor trainers etc. Can’t have it both ways. Players need to train exceptionally hard, virtually to point of exhaustion to gain an edge. It’s just how competitive the sport is now

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s funny as people calling for punishments etc of Des and Manly staff, are same ones calling our squad extremely unfit, poor trainers etc. Can’t have it both ways. Players need to train exceptionally hard, virtually to point of exhaustion to gain an edge. It’s just how competitive the sport is now
Recovery time is also important.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Yet then you’ve got the players, who even on there days off would train solo. Just trying to get that competitive edge.
Sometimes I wonder whether, after all that hard training, game time is taken a bit softer.

When I played Aussie rules as a teenager, I would jog from Belmore to Olds Park, Peakhurst for training, then walk back home.
Yet, I'd sometimes find myself gassed on the ground, if it was a warm day, and I'd overdone the effort levels, trying to do too much.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder whether, after all that hard training, game time is taken a bit softer.

When I played Aussie rules as a teenager, I would jog from Belmore to Olds Park, Peakhurst for training, then walk back home.
Yet, I'd sometimes find myself gassed on the ground, if it was a warm day, and I'd overdone the effort levels, trying to do too much.
Probably. I remember also training quite hard, funny as having days off was just as much mental recovery too. As I’d be more excited for training again, and really rip in. As long as i didn’t spend days off boozing on too hard.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s not how hard the training is. The point is programs are set, and as such there should be protocols to follow if some players are under too much stress, whether that be environmental factors, or physical factors. Each player takes a certain time to reach their fitness. They are all on different levels. Some get fitter quickly, others take longer. This should be monitored and identified. Thats what professionalism is. Obviously this has not been done, and that is why someone, or more than one, has to be he held accountable for a death that is highly probable could have been avoided if certain actions were taken.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s not how hard the training is. The point is programs are set, and as such there should be protocols to follow if some players are under too much stress, whether that be environmental factors, or physical factors. Each player takes a certain time to reach their fitness. They are all on different levels. Some get fitter quickly, others take longer. This should be monitored and identified. Thats what professionalism is. Obviously this has not been done, and that is why someone, or more than one, has to be he held accountable for a death that is highly probable could have been avoided if certain actions were taken.

.all sounds good in theory. I still believe the ego in footy players would make them push themselves extremely hard. Show no weakness. Been that mantra for decades, used to see it at local grade also. Blokes throwing up all time.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
@Cook I get the ego. I’d be more understanding if it happened in local footy, be it training or playing, but professional sport, to me that is a different story. Anyway, we will see what happens.

ps. Had to tag you my man because I couldn’t quote you.