News ‘I didn’t believe it’: Rising NRL star’s cause of death revealed as paramedics recall shocking scene

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don’t want to comment too much on such a sensitive situation but I agree with the advancements in sports science your hydration strategy is a big part of training anyway. Add in the heat and you would think it would have been a big focus.
It is a sensitive and delicate topic. A tragedy no doubt, I just can’t see any changes being made to current practices/protocols etc, within the game.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately a sad situation all round. Condolences to the family. But someone correct me if I’m wrong, hasn’t manly got some form of players passing out during training sessions, I remember I think it was Lloyd perret passed out from heat exhaustion and ending up having a seizure of some sort. Was that under des and Donny singe as well?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Where was the club doctor? If I was the boss I'd pay him to be present at all training as well as the games.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hasler always deflects blame away from himself..

As for them suing Hasler? I don’t know. I guess a case can be made, despite who designed the session, it is the trainers who run the session..it’s there job to watch and monitor players’ performances.
well whoever was in charge should be held accountable

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Apparently was only 21 degrees outside. Where majority of session was held, before going into the hall.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Prayer circle for Manly folding as an organization because of this

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Considering the above, this article really is as insensitive as it is ridiculous.

Read this before.. Australia is too bloody hot to play footy earlier than March..and that’s the earliest possible..it could still be a couple of weeks later. Especially rugby league which is one of the most intense physical sports on Earth. The game itself puts extreme stress on the body, let alone it having to deal with temperatures close to, or over, 30° as well, if the season starts earlier.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember Hazem El Masri had something similar like this happen to him at training once during the 1998 pre-season in Summer. He couldn't have any food or even water as he was fasting during Ramadan, but thankfully he was ok.
He was granted exemption by his Mosque, as the religion makes allowances for extreme circumstances, but Haz preferred to continue as normal.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I was much younger, I was a keen martial arts student. One summer day I suffered heatstroke while training. Luckily my Sifu recognised the symptoms, sat me down, gave me water, and made me rest until I was OK to go home.

It came on so quickly, I had no idea what had just happened - just suddenly dropped with nausea and dizziness, feeling like I was burning up.
If I hadn't been hydrated straight away, I dread to think what might have happened.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Read this before.. Australia is too bloody hot to play footy earlier than March..and that’s the earliest possible..it could still be a couple of weeks later. Especially rugby league which is one of the most intense physical sports on Earth. The game itself puts extreme stress on the body, let alone it having to deal with temperatures close to, or over, 30° as well, if the season starts earlier.
Yup, the season actually needs to be a bit shorter if anything. When you add in rep games, finals, some of the players are looking at as many as 35+ games in a season. A game of RL is tough on the body, only 49 people in the history of the sport have played 300+ games at first grade level, our very own Baa being the 2nd to do so in 1994. The blokes who manage it are in some respects freaks. To give players a better chance at career longevity, help decrease some of the risks around serious injury, and increase the overall stock of high quality players, less games per season is the obvious way to go.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Manly coach Des Hasler has been questioned about an email in which the club’s former chief medical officer pleaded with sports science staff to use a heat stress monitor to track conditions at every training session, warning they could be sued if a player dies.
On the fifth day of the inquest into the death of Keith Titmuss, Hasler took the stand to give evidence at the NSW Coroners Court, where he was asked about a message from Dr Luke Inman, the club’s top medic until 2019.
Latrell Mitchell, Cody Walker, Michael Chee Kam and Jack Wighton have all been given visas to enter the US for the Rabbitoh's clash with the Sea Eagles in Las Vegas.
In the email sent to Manly’s former head of sports science, Mark Booth, early in 2019, Inman advised the club it should be using a Kestrel heat monitor at every session to gauge the strain players could be under.
Inman was concerned the club had not been using it throughout the early months of the 2018-19 pre-season training.
Casselden told the court Hasler, ex-high performance manager Don Singe and head of football John Bonasera were all copied on the email.
Part of the email from Inman, who wasn’t employed at the Sea Eagles at the time of Titmuss’ death, read: “You are leaving yourself and the club open to litigation if a player suffers heat stress, or at worst, dies. Please, it does not take long to set up.”
Former Manly Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler arrives at the Coroner’s Court for the Keith Titmuss inquest on Friday.

Former Manly Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler arrives at the Coroner’s Court for the Keith Titmuss inquest on Friday.Credit: Kate Geraghty
The inquest has heard Titmuss likely died of exertional heatstroke after the Sea Eagles’ first pre-season training session in November 2020.
Under questioning from counsel assisting Adam Casselden, SC, Hasler said he doesn’t remember receiving the email from Inman and couldn’t recall tension between Inman and members of Manly’s high-performance staff at the time.
He also said he had no knowledge of the Kestrel device ever being used by sports science staff during a training session while he was Sea Eagles coach.
The court has been told Titmuss suffered a seizure inside the club’s dojo after the first official pre-season training session in 2020. Titmuss was rushed to hospital where he later suffered a cardiac arrest.
Former Manly prospect Keith Titmuss.

Former Manly prospect Keith Titmuss.Credit: NRL Photos
The maximum temperature at nearby Terrey Hills didn’t reach 25 degrees on the day, but teammates provided evidence the dojo was “humid and stuffy”.
Hasler was asked about the intensity of the session, which the court heard found Titmuss covered 6.7km, according to GPS data from the club.
Casselden said Titmuss’ risk factor to exertional heatstroke was higher given he was the least aerobic member of the Manly squad on the club’s yo-yo test three days earlier and had a body mass index above 35.
Hasler agreed parts of the 139-minute field session before Titmuss died were “challenging”, but stressed Titmuss’ 47 metres per minute covered suggested there was ample time for recovery as well as drinks breaks.
Des Hasler gave evidence on Friday.

Des Hasler gave evidence on Friday.Credit: Kate Geraghty
“If he had to consistently and non-stop [move] for 139 minutes, then it would be unreasonable,” Hasler said. “But there were various breaks, changes of speed and rest and recovery. We wanted to make sure it wasn’t too arduous. We don’t want to place players in a position where it’s too hard or they become injured.”
Asked hypothetically if he would have changed the session knowing what happened to Titmuss, Hasler said: “In hindsight, that’s a difficult question. Anyone that’s under my care, you would do anything to prevent such a tragic accident. There could be parts there I could change.”
The inquest is not a criminal trial and no Manly coaches or staff members have been accused of criminal conduct or wrongdoing.
Related Article
Keith Titmuss.
The inquest heard a statement from former player Sione Fainu earlier in the week that Sea Eagles players were told in a meeting before training to advise staff if they were struggling with the session on November 23, 2020.
Longtime sports doctor Nathan Gibbs, who was the chief medical officer at the Sea Eagles from 2019 until 2021, also fronted the inquiry. He wasn’t at the Sydney Academy of Sport on the day of the session in which Titmuss died.
He told the court the NRL should mandate all clubs having a gradual return to training in the first two weeks of pre-season training to help acclimatisation, suggesting a 50 per cent load in the opening week and 75 per cent in the second week.
“We have to stop people getting to the heatstroke stage,” Gibbs said. “Unfortunately, it can come on within a minute. You have no time to deal with it. It’s all about managing load until the body becomes better at acclimatising.”
Hasler echoed Gibbs’ sentiments and said he would support such a measure.
The inquest before deputy state coroner Derek Lee continues.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Manly coach Des Hasler has been questioned about an email in which the club’s former chief medical officer pleaded with sports science staff to use a heat stress monitor to track conditions at every training session, warning they could be sued if a player dies.
On the fifth day of the inquest into the death of Keith Titmuss, Hasler took the stand to give evidence at the NSW Coroners Court, where he was asked about a message from Dr Luke Inman, the club’s top medic until 2019.
Latrell Mitchell, Cody Walker, Michael Chee Kam and Jack Wighton have all been given visas to enter the US for the Rabbitoh's clash with the Sea Eagles in Las Vegas.
In the email sent to Manly’s former head of sports science, Mark Booth, early in 2019, Inman advised the club it should be using a Kestrel heat monitor at every session to gauge the strain players could be under.
Inman was concerned the club had not been using it throughout the early months of the 2018-19 pre-season training.
Casselden told the court Hasler, ex-high performance manager Don Singe and head of football John Bonasera were all copied on the email.
Part of the email from Inman, who wasn’t employed at the Sea Eagles at the time of Titmuss’ death, read: “You are leaving yourself and the club open to litigation if a player suffers heat stress, or at worst, dies. Please, it does not take long to set up.”
Former Manly Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler arrives at the Coroner’s Court for the Keith Titmuss inquest on Friday.

Former Manly Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler arrives at the Coroner’s Court for the Keith Titmuss inquest on Friday.Credit: Kate Geraghty
The inquest has heard Titmuss likely died of exertional heatstroke after the Sea Eagles’ first pre-season training session in November 2020.
Under questioning from counsel assisting Adam Casselden, SC, Hasler said he doesn’t remember receiving the email from Inman and couldn’t recall tension between Inman and members of Manly’s high-performance staff at the time.
He also said he had no knowledge of the Kestrel device ever being used by sports science staff during a training session while he was Sea Eagles coach.
The court has been told Titmuss suffered a seizure inside the club’s dojo after the first official pre-season training session in 2020. Titmuss was rushed to hospital where he later suffered a cardiac arrest.
Former Manly prospect Keith Titmuss.

Former Manly prospect Keith Titmuss.Credit: NRL Photos
The maximum temperature at nearby Terrey Hills didn’t reach 25 degrees on the day, but teammates provided evidence the dojo was “humid and stuffy”.
Hasler was asked about the intensity of the session, which the court heard found Titmuss covered 6.7km, according to GPS data from the club.
Casselden said Titmuss’ risk factor to exertional heatstroke was higher given he was the least aerobic member of the Manly squad on the club’s yo-yo test three days earlier and had a body mass index above 35.
Hasler agreed parts of the 139-minute field session before Titmuss died were “challenging”, but stressed Titmuss’ 47 metres per minute covered suggested there was ample time for recovery as well as drinks breaks.
Des Hasler gave evidence on Friday.

Des Hasler gave evidence on Friday.Credit: Kate Geraghty
“If he had to consistently and non-stop [move] for 139 minutes, then it would be unreasonable,” Hasler said. “But there were various breaks, changes of speed and rest and recovery. We wanted to make sure it wasn’t too arduous. We don’t want to place players in a position where it’s too hard or they become injured.”
Asked hypothetically if he would have changed the session knowing what happened to Titmuss, Hasler said: “In hindsight, that’s a difficult question. Anyone that’s under my care, you would do anything to prevent such a tragic accident. There could be parts there I could change.”
The inquest is not a criminal trial and no Manly coaches or staff members have been accused of criminal conduct or wrongdoing.
Related Article
Keith Titmuss.
The inquest heard a statement from former player Sione Fainu earlier in the week that Sea Eagles players were told in a meeting before training to advise staff if they were struggling with the session on November 23, 2020.
Longtime sports doctor Nathan Gibbs, who was the chief medical officer at the Sea Eagles from 2019 until 2021, also fronted the inquiry. He wasn’t at the Sydney Academy of Sport on the day of the session in which Titmuss died.
He told the court the NRL should mandate all clubs having a gradual return to training in the first two weeks of pre-season training to help acclimatisation, suggesting a 50 per cent load in the opening week and 75 per cent in the second week.
“We have to stop people getting to the heatstroke stage,” Gibbs said. “Unfortunately, it can come on within a minute. You have no time to deal with it. It’s all about managing load until the body becomes better at acclimatising.”
Hasler echoed Gibbs’ sentiments and said he would support such a measure.
The inquest before deputy state coroner Derek Lee continues.
So is des in hot water?