‘I’ve been below par’, admits Hodkinson

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
THEY are hardly the fighting words you would expect to hear from the Canterbury and NSW No. 7, two days before the Friday night blockbuster against the Sydney Roosters, and 14 days out before Origin I.

But Trent Hodkinson is honest enough to admit his form is down, and says he needs to start getting more involved in games.

Hodkinson has been under intense scrutiny the opening nine rounds of the season, which is common place with any NSW incumbent halfback.

Canterbury are struggling.

Hodkinson’s regular halves partner Josh Reynolds has been missing at various stages because of suspension or injury.

If Hodkinson is ready to produce his best, now is the time, against a genuine premiership threat like the Sydney Roosters, and their star halves Mitchell Pearce and James Maloney, who are pushing for their own Origin return.

This could be a real season-defining 80 minutes for Hodkinson.

“My form hasn’t been the best, and I’m the first to admit that _ I’ve been below par compared to last year,’’ Hodkinson said.

“I’ve got to stick with it, and it’s still early in the season.

“I’ve got to go out there Friday and have a solid game. Having Josh (Reynolds) back definitely helps.

“It’s been a bit interrupted, the combination, even the team has (been interrupted) with suspensions and injuries. But that’s no excuse.

“I’ve got to get my game back on target.

“I need to get more involved. I’ve been a bit hesitant at times, and I’ve got to go with my first instincts. I’ve held back a little.’’

Hodkinson didn’t commence training until February, compared to the full pre-season he enjoyed last year. He underwent stem cell surgery on his left knee, which he said occasionally still weighed on his mind.

Blues coach Laurie Daley has already spoken with Hodkinson to keep him up to speed. Pearce is the man tipped to join him at five-eighth ahead of Reynolds.

The off-contract playmaker isn’t taking his Blues gig for granted, but said if he was selected, he’d do the job.

“You surround yourself with some great players in camp and they just lift you naturally,’’ Hodkinson said.

Did he see the NSW halves race all boiling down to Friday night at ANZ Stadium, the same venue that will host Origin I?

“Who knows? It could well be the game this week,’’ Hodkinson said.

“It’s out of my control selection wise, but it is in my control on the field, so I need to have a big game.’’

Canterbury welcome the return of Reynolds and skipper James Graham.

The Roosters really impressed against the Wests Tigers, with Pearce and Maloney rarely putting a foot wrong.

Hodkinson said of his opposites: “They are creating opportunities, they’re playing with confidence, and it’s showing. Although they got into a little bit of a slump there, they had a good win last week, and they’ll be firing this week.’’

Source

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
anybody waiting for him to be incredible in attack are wasting their time but you should be able to live with his performance of last week, typical neutralising game and he won his battle with thurston

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well at least he knows he's isn't playing well.

To be honest with you, I was quite happy with his second half performance against the Cowboys. If he can now consistently do that week in and out, I don't think we'd be complaining about him.

lafai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mbye should be in the hal.....forget it. Des will re-sign Hodkinson and never ever drop him lol

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
What an idiot it's taken 9 round to admit your shit lol why bother playing let someone else take your spot , and i can't see Hodko improve

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve been below par’, admits Hodkinson

A great example of the underststement!

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They all say the same thing. "I wanna get more involved, form is down".

Then fking do something about it. Your kicks are shit, your 5th tackle options are shit. Everything about you is fking shit. You and your fking 58 boyfriend can fk off. Seriously I've never been so frustrated with a halves pairing like these. Fk me.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's had a wipe on every hole so far.

When people come out and talk up their next game, it makes them look even worse than if they had just kept quiet, and let their footy do the talking. Lets hope Hokko can walk the walk against the chooks.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What an idiot it's taken 9 round to admit your shit lol why bother playing let someone else take your spot , and i can't see Hodko improve
Nice one, calling our half back an idiot!! another great supporter of the Mighty Bulldogs!

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They all say the same thing. "I wanna get more involved, form is down".

Then fking do something about it. Your kicks are shit, your 5th tackle options are shit. Everything about you is fking shit. You and your fking 58 boyfriend can fk off. Seriously I've never been so frustrated with a halves pairing like these. Fk me.
And when they piss off, we can have mbye and Frawley as our halves

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Frawley will never get a go in the halves. Hasler is to stubborn. He wont admit hes been wrong for this long.
Frawley, McInally, Loko, Fulaolo, Essesse, Minute, etc, will all be gone soon without having had a chance in the top grade.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Frawley will never get a go in the halves. Hasler is to stubborn. He wont admit hes been wrong for this long.
Frawley, McInally, Loko, Fulaolo, Essesse, Minute, etc, will all be gone soon without having had a chance in the top grade.
Sack des. Someone make a petition

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
It has taken the bloke 10 weeks to work that out? Tbh I'm not expecting anything different to what he has produced.

cLEBrity

Mujnoon
Reaction score
Yeah a lot of haters,
have a look at the Bulldogs facebook page copping a hammering from fans,
more concerned about what us fans think about his haircut.

Status
Not open for further replies.