News ‘Headed for divorce’: Hunt tipped for Dragons exit as ‘perfect’ rival club closes in

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anthony Griffin’s sacking has the potential to cost the Dragons their skipper and best player Ben Hunt as the Bulldogs emerge as a potential suitor for the Origin star.

The 33-year-old is contracted to the Dragons until the end of 2025 in potentially his last NRL deal, but he is on record as saying Griffin’s potential sacking could lead to a rethink.

Braith Anasta believes the Bulldogs would be the ideal fit for Hunt should he try to find a way out of his contract in light of Griffin’s departure.

“I’m not sure he wants to stay there, in my eyes there are a lot of other clubs that would be circling, there is one that stands out to me and that is the Bulldogs,” Anasta said.

“There are murmurs that the Bulldogs are chasing, I know Gus has interest in Hunt.

“Hunt would be the perfect fit for the Bulldogs right now, Kikau to come back in, Mahoney, Burton, Crichton to come in next year.

“He would be the perfect solution to the Bulldogs.”

The Daily Telegraph’s Dave Riccio believes Dragons fans should be furious that the club’s handling of the Griffin situation seems likely to cost the club its most important player.

“This is why Dragons fans deserve to be absolutely filthy,” Riccio said.

“Dragons management have created this situation where, not only have they been unable and are unable, to recruit star power, to recruit from outside because they can’t sell a story.

“You can’t go to the Dragons because you don’t know who the head coach is, you’d only be going for an opportunity and that only lasts for so long.

“The Ben Hunt situation, I think this is headed for a divorce. Why would Ben Hunt was to stick around through another process under a new coach when the potential of the Bulldogs would be appealing.”

Paul Crawley believes the Dragons’ lacklustre management could make Hunt’s contract hard to get out of, but given his price tag it may be in both parties’ best interests to part ways.

“That’s the only thing the Dragons have got going in their favour, is the fact they have no one there that can make a decision,” Crawley said.

“So if Ben Hunt has a contract and he wants out, who is going to give him the permission to go?

“I have no doubt in the world though if he doesn’t want to be there, and he’s on more than a million dollars a year, see you later.”

Anasta cited Jack Bird’s outburst at the fans as evidence Hunt is not the only unhappy player in the camp and a mass exodus could be on the cards in light of the Dragons’ coaching shake-up.

“I think all the players are unhappy at the moment, you only have to look at Jack Bird a few weeks ago and what he said about the media and the fans,” Anasta said.

“That was unusual, and I think if he had his time over again he wouldn’t have said it. But it was a sign that the place was just a dark place.

“All the players would be on edge, none would be happy.”

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've said it before & I'll say it again -
Ben Hunt is Anthony Griffin's biggest fan and is very loyal to him.
Phil Gould is Anthony Griffin's biggest enemy after Gus sacked him from Penrith when Panthers were in the top 4.
Cameron Ciraldo tried to quit whilst working under Griffin at the Panthers twice because he could no longer stand working with him.

It is public knowledge that the 2 Figure heads of our club are anti Anthony Griffin, Ben Hunts favourite mentor, coach & dear friend.
It is only my opinion, but I can't see Ben Hunt join forces with his dear mate Anthony Griffin's biggest enemies.

But on the other hand, it is Rugby League & all things are possible in this weird & wonderful game!!!

My Tip is that he will end up at the Roosters next year once they have released Sam Walker & Joseph Suaalii - just like when they got Cronk & flicked Pearce.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
TPJ and Thommo can be moved on for better value buys, same with Flanno and Averillo.

that would be an elite spine with Hunt.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Watch how he performs in origin with a good team around him
At hooker though, not at halfback. He's a really good hooker. At halfback for Saints he shits the bed multiple times a game and doesn't control the team the way a player with his reputation, experience and salary should.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've said it before & I'll say it again -
Ben Hunt is Anthony Griffin's biggest fan and is very loyal to him.
Phil Gould is Anthony Griffin's biggest enemy after Gus sacked him from Penrith when Panthers were in the top 4.
Cameron Ciraldo tried to quit whilst working under Griffin at the Panthers twice because he could no longer stand working with him.

It is public knowledge that the 2 Figure heads of our club are anti Anthony Griffin, Ben Hunts favourite mentor, coach & dear friend.
It is only my opinion, but I can't see Ben Hunt join forces with his dear mate Anthony Griffin's biggest enemies.

But on the other hand, it is Rugby League & all things are possible in this weird & wonderful game!!!

My Tip is that he will end up at the Roosters next year once they have released Sam Walker & Joseph Suaalii - just like when they got Cronk & flicked Pearce.
Yeah, I definitely see that scenario too. But like you said, it's NRL. Anything can happen and change at the drop of a hat. Sounds like Hunt wants another chance to win a comp before he retires, that won't happen at Dragons. Right now, Roosters on paper are in a better spot than Dogs however next year that will change. Roosters are on a downward slope.

Weren't we keen on Sullivan last year? I have heard CC is very keen on him. That was before we landed Oloapu though so wouldn't make sense to bring him on now and have 2 young halves.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
At hooker though, not at halfback. He's a really good hooker. At halfback for Saints he shits the bed multiple times a game and doesn't control the team the way a player with his reputation, experience and salary should.
I don't think hes the guy to lead us to premiership glory, but i think he would be suitable to help the younger halves out and get us into the top 8 at least, who else is out there?