News ‘Headed for divorce’: Hunt tipped for Dragons exit as ‘perfect’ rival club closes in

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
At hooker though, not at halfback. He's a really good hooker. At halfback for Saints he shits the bed multiple times a game and doesn't control the team the way a player with his reputation, experience and salary should.
I thought he was pretty good in our game and carried the dragqueens

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely see that scenario too. But like you said, it's NRL. Anything can happen and change at the drop of a hat. Sounds like Hunt wants another chance to win a comp before he retires, that won't happen at Dragons. Right now, Roosters on paper are in a better spot than Dogs however next year that will change. Roosters are on a downward slope.

Weren't we keen on Sullivan last year? I have heard CC is very keen on him. That was before we landed Oloapu though so wouldn't make sense to bring him on now and have 2 young halves.
I'll put em on the line.....

IF & that's a big IF we were to land Ben Hunt + 2 Really Good Props, then we make top 2 barring injuries.
Newcastle looking to offload Daniel Safiti..... I'd pick him up.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think hes the guy to lead us to premiership glory, but i think he would be suitable to help the younger halves out and get us into the top 8 at least, who else is out there?
There's not much else out there. I have nothing against Hunt personally. I love how hard he plays, seems like a good dude who his teammates respect..

I just think he's not solving our problems even in the short term. He'd make us mildly better. Like I said, watching him play for Saints over the years, he's had his fair share of games where he's struggling to organise and put on points. Which is what everyone hammers Burton about. So will he really help Burton in that regard or will it be more of the same aimless attack where he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off? Which is what he does a lot at Saints...

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah like any contract if you and the other parties agree then things can change.
Just like Klemmer for us and the knights.

Doubt dragons will simply let him go with how bad the market is for halves.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I thought he was pretty good in our game and carried the dragqueens
He was okay. He didn't do much until late in the game when they were trying to come back.. Again, his effort his always there. Sometimes he tries too hard. Most of his best plays are from him running it but sometimes he runs for the sake of it which leads to multiple scrappy, aimless sets.

It's why he's so much better at hooker. He can focus on running out of dummy half and his kicking game is better suited to dummy half.

I wouldn't slit my wrists if we signed him. I'd understand why. But I would be worried about how that affects KO and doubt Hunt helps us start scoring 30 points regularly and makes the attack all of a sudden click. If we do sign him, I'd love to be proven wrong though..

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He was okay. He didn't do much until late in the game when they were trying to come back.. Again, his effort his always there. Sometimes he tries too hard. Most of his best plays are from him running it but sometimes he runs for the sake of it which leads to multiple scrappy, aimless sets.

It's why he's so much better at hooker. He can focus on running out of dummy half and his kicking game is better suited to dummy half.

I wouldn't slit my wrists if we signed him. I'd understand why. But I would be worried about how that affects KO and doubt Hunt helps us start scoring 30 points regularly and makes the attack all of a sudden click. If we do sign him, I'd love to be proven wrong though..
Admittedly I don’t watch a lot of dragons games as I’m pretty busy and travel constantly and as much as I think he’s a bit of a knob he seems to manage a game well. An area we struggle in. Let’s see how KO and Burton play together in the first starting game of their pairing but an experienced half would potentially bring a lot to our club

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Admittedly I don’t watch a lot of dragons games as I’m pretty busy and travel constantly and as much as I think he’s a bit of a knob he seems to manage a game well. An area we struggle in. Let’s see how KO and Burton play together in the first starting game of their pairing but an experienced half would potentially bring a lot to our club
The Titans don't defend well, so I'm hoping KO and Burton can put some points on this week and start to develop a combo. If they show signs of combining well in the next several games then hopefully we can persist with them. It's always more organic for the teams development and far cheaper cap wise to try and develop from within. Hopefully KO starting and playing the full 80 minutes allows him to play with more confidence and freedom.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love Ben Hunt but this is a whole article based on an Anasta quote. That **** looks like a genius sitting next to Gordie but he don’t know shit
Remember when Anasta said that he had reached out to the Dogs if they wanted him to coach the halves last year? He tried to make a big deal out of them not returning his call LOL.

I highly doubt he ever reached out and IF he did, he should not be surprised nobody replied. He's a flog. True colours were shown when he got up on the stage at canterbury leagues after we won the comp and yelled 'FUCK ROOSTERS' then within 6 months he signed with them. Fuck him!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As a half back he isnt one of the best in the game (just being honest) as a halfback at the dogs he is head and shoulders above anything we have had in the last 6 years.

Does that make him a great fit? No it doesnt. I think he will struggle at the dogs with our slow play the balls, soft middle defensively. Bringing him in might give us another 5-6 wins for the rest of the year..... Not sure 10 wins is a good season but he will improve us. Whether he can get us into the 8 or 6 next year will have to be seen. He was never an elite level half. His best game was probably the GF loss where he dropped the kick of in OT. Had broncos won he probably gets the Clive. We could have Andrew Johns and Wally Lewis in the team as our halves and we still wouldnt win the finals. Our engine room is soft and injured, we are down to giving pups a run who have not been dominating Cup. Our 2 highest paid forwards have missed most of the season and our other 2 high paid forwards have not delivered this year (I was always one to say RFM does not offer enough for an extension while the kennel was blowing their load for him after a few offloads last year).

Without a forward leader, a few hard nosed experienced props, a few fire brands and a few younger kids coming through we will get dominated in most tackles. That gives our hooker and half less chance to move the ball or attack which results in less ball hitting our back rowers and outside backs. Hunt wont fix this. His kicking game will be a huge upgrade over Reynolds and Oluapou (youd have a triple threat for kicks which would probably mean burton wouldnt get so much pressure on the last). But his all round game has been proven time and time again he is decent halfback but not elite, not 1.1 million and not more then a 2 year contract. Gus has been targeting him for a while and I get he brings experience, he brings origin success and has played in a GF where he was best on ground for brisbane (but ended up being the reason they lost). I am just a keyboard warrior so I can only have faith in Gus the board and Ciro, and to be honest Gus has been on point more often than not in the last 2 years, so trust in him and let him and Ciro get the team that will bring success.

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Firstly, everyone get your head out of Burton being a centre. He is our only attacking threat and the only guy at the club with a big boot. He is an elite 5/8 who just needs an organising halfback outside him, like EVERY good 5/8. Burton is our best player by a country mile and the more he touches the ball the better we are.

Secondly, Oloapu is an amazing talent but if we had someone like Ben Hunt in the club he would be much better playing a year in NSW Cup and being an apprentice to someone like Hunt. Hunt also would suit pretty well with Burto, as he is an organiser, has a good kicking game and has great experience.

Let's remember KO would not even be in first grade if we actually had someone like Hunt.. KO is 18, and a year in Cup for his development wouldn't have been a bad thing.

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Considering Oloapu is prob 12-24 months off being a week in week out starting half. It makes sense. You’re not commiting to someone long term. Or signing a player in their mid twenties which would leave Oloapu second guessing where he fits in. Gives the halves a mentor and also if Reed gets injured you can play Hunt at 9. The market is thin and by the time he’s off contract we either decide to give the keys to Oloapu or bring someone else in

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly, everyone get your head out of Burton being a centre. He is our only attacking threat and the only guy at the club with a big boot. He is an elite 5/8 who just needs an organising halfback outside him, like EVERY good 5/8. Burton is our best player by a country mile and the more he touches the ball the better we are.

Secondly, Oloapu is an amazing talent but if we had someone like Ben Hunt in the club he would be much better playing a year in NSW Cup and being an apprentice to someone like Hunt. Hunt also would suit pretty well with Burto, as he is an organiser, has a good kicking game and has great experience.

Let's remember KO would not even be in first grade if we actually had someone like Hunt.. KO is 18, and a year in Cup for his development wouldn't have been a bad thing.
What everyone is saying is that if Hunt signs with Dogs, we have Oloapu and Burton. You have to fit all those players into your starting team. Simular to Souths signing Wighton. He will play centre but he can fill in a number of positions.

Burton has shown he can play centre at an elite level (won a comp and Dally M). Freddy used him as a second kicker in origin while playing Centre.

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What everyone is saying is that if Hunt signs with Dogs, we have Oloapu and Burton. You have to fit all those players into your starting team. Simular to Souths signing Wighton. He will play centre but he can fill in a number of positions.

Burton has shown he can play centre at an elite level (won a comp and Dally M). Freddy used him as a second kicker in origin while playing Centre.
KO is 18 and a full year in a successful NSW Cup side does him the world of good.

Moving Burton to accommodate KO is ridiculous.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 Crighton (Papali’i & Wilson in wings)
2 JAC
3/4 Alamoti / Xerri / Averillo / Skelton / Kiraz
5 Kiraz / Burns / Wilson / Skelton / Papali
6 Burton
7 Hunt

14. Oloapu / Brown / BBO / Rijab

that’s all the depth we need for backs. Anyone who isn’t a developing kid can go. Burns would have to be in close to minimum also.

Now, to fix the forwards….