News ‘He’s telling lies’: Gus Gould can’t escape past deception

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Former Bulldogs star Braith Anasta has accused Phil Gould of telling “lies” in another extraordinary development following the exit of Trent Barrett from Canterbury.

The club is in crisis following Barrett’s decision to quit on Monday following their Magic Round loss to Newcastle in Brisbane.

However, further revelations have now contradicted the club’s assertion that Barrett made the decision to leave, despite being contracted until the end of the 2023 season.

Foxsports.com.au first revealed Barrett walked away with a massive payout of $500,000.

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield on Monday night told Fox League’s NRL 360 the terms of Barrett’s payout also includes a confidentiality agreement.

Gould fronted the media on Monday after news of Barrett’s departure had been announced and said it was a “sad” day for the club, but stressed it was Barrett’s decision to walk.

He is now being accused of being the figure behind the scenes that told Barrett he would be sacked if he didn’t walk the plank of his own volition.

On May 2 Gould told a Channel 9 football show Barrett was the “long-term coach for the club”.

“Trent Barrett will be the coach of the Bulldogs long after I’m gone,” he said.

Two weeks later Barrett is unemployed.

Gould said two weeks ago there were agendas being driven against him surrounding his involvement with the club, but said, “It doesn’t affect me and I laugh in their face with it”.

Anasta said as host of NRL 360 Gould has been acting like “Pinocchio”.

“Well, you’re not laughing now Phil after saying that only a couple of weeks ago,” Anasta said.

“That’s Pinocchio there. Saying that his job is safe and that he’s going to be there long after Gus. He’s telling lies because Barrett’s gone and he’s still there.”

Anasta said reports that Barrett was unaware when news first broke about the club’s decision to hold an emergency board meeting shows Barrett didn’t really quit.

“It squashes the ‘I’m going to quit’ thing too because he didn’t even know he was going to get the chop,” Anasta said.

Fox League reporter James Hooper also said on the panel it was “hard to believe” that Gould had not been involved in the decision to tell Barrett his time was up.

The club had called an emergency board meeting to discuss the former Manly coach’s future on Monday, however Gould confirmed on Monday he had spoken with Barrett on Sunday before the former Dragons star’s exit was announced.

“The drums started beating after the Bulldogs were rolled by Canberra (in Round 9),” Hooper said.

“Behind the scenes, as I understand it, Baz was told, ‘You can walk or you’re going to be knifed’. Now it’s been framed as the board is behind this push, but I think it’s hard to believe how someone with the influence and clout that Gus carries in the game wasn’t involved in the decision.

“To be clear, Trent Barrett had a gun pointed at him and was told, ‘You either walk or it’s going to get ugly’.”

Barrett had won just five of the 34 games during his time at the club.

Rothfield also suggested Gould was the real reason Barrett was forced to leave the club.

“Do not fall for any suggestion that Trent Barrett walked out on his own,” he said.

He said Gould had “gone back on his word from two weeks ago” and said Gould did a similar thing when he sacked Anthony Griffin in 2018 in his role as the Panthers’ football operations supremo.

At the time the Panthers were sitting fifth on the ladder with four weeks left before the start of the finals. Rothfield said Gould went back on his word when Griffin was signed to a three-year-deal before being sacked in the first year of the deal.

Gould said he had a “difficult discussion” with Barrett

“When a coach feels like he needs to resign, we all feel like we’ve failed,” Gould told reporters on Monday afternoon.

“It was Trent’s decision. I certainly wasn’t going to sack him. It’s sad it’s come to this.

“I think the performances and pressure, he got the feeling he didn’t have the solutions for what was going wrong.

“That’s how he felt at the time. He made the decision on Sunday night.”

Gould said he spoke on the phone with Barrett on Sunday night where the former coach made the decision to quit.

“Late last night after I had finished the commentary on Nine, we had a long discussion, it was a very difficult discussion, it was pretty raw, he poured his heart out a bit, and he put his heart into this job.

“It’s sad the way it has ended. Hopefully he finds a bit of respite now and a bit of peace.

“He wanted to end the speculation and any pressure on the board to make a decision, so he took it upon himself (to resign).”

Two weeks earlier, Gould laughed off “childish” media speculation that Barrett’s job was under threat following his infamous takeover of a training Bulldogs session.

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Anasta, who at the start of the year was stating unequivocally that the Bulldogs had signed the right kind of people, is out today saying that they shouldn't just sign 'anyone available', and instead should have been signing players with the right DNA.

He's a weathervane and in a constant contradictory state.

Further, Gould said exactly what he should have said. Until a coach is sacked (or walks), the club should at all times express full confidence and backing. As if a club would come out and tell the media that their coach was underperforming and that there was unrest and frustration.

#derp

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anasta may well want to explain to us his role in Coffs Harbour before he starts frothing at the mouth about our club. I have heard of throwing rocks in glasshouses not bricks. Go back to your Foxtel shit hole mate & shut your hypocritical mouth.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm gonna join the call, and condemnation of these negative rehashed Murdoch media bash ups of Gus and our club from being posted on here and riling every one up.

There's no kudos for it whatsoever.

The endless new threads on the same topic...at least can we have a Murdoch Media Now Saying This About The Club thread to condense the hype and vitriolic agenda against our club.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if he lied, it’s in the best interests of barrett and the club how it turned out. You’d think these fuckwits would realise barrett is more likely to get another coaching gig if it looks like he “quit” as opposed to getting sacked

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s only so played out on the spotlight cause buzz loves any chance to lay the boot into Gus and the dogs . Braiths got no idea he run to rooster first chance he got but bulldogs made him the player he was

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just don’t understand why they keep targeting Gus or anyone else at Canterbury when clearly TB couldn’t coach. He had a win percentage of 15% with a roster Dean Pay would have us sniffing the 8 with. Let that sink in

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm gonna join the call, and condemnation of these negative rehashed Murdoch media bash ups of Gus and our club from being posted on here and riling every one up.

There's no kudos for it whatsoever.

The endless new threads on the same topic...at least can we have a Murdoch Media Now Saying This About The Club thread to condense the hype and vitriolic agenda against our club.
Or they are auto deleted as soon as they are posted

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
do your posts get deleted or do they resign on their own accord?
Just joking lol (and deflecting, not wanting to argue about Gus).

But probably my own posts think they're hopeless so resign and voluntarily disappear ;)

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just joking lol (and deflecting, not wanting to argue about Gus).

But probably my own posts think they're hopeless so resign and voluntarily disappear ;)
any chance you can post JJ? would love it if he would delete himself from the team :tearsofjoy: