News ‘He’s telling lies’: Gus Gould can’t escape past deception

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
he called Gus a lier, is that grounds for defamation? thats not being on our side
Gus said just a few weeks ago that Barrett would be at the club long after he is gone. That is much more unequivocal than the usual token vote of confidence from the board. Of course a statement like he made a few weeks ago is going to have the media asking questions.

Not an expert on defamation law, but did study it a little at uni. In order to win a defamation case Gus would a) have to be interested in pursuing one, b) have to demonstrate claims that were made resulted in considerable damage to his reputation. I don't think he gives a toss what the media says and I don't think Anasta's claims have done damage to his reputation, so I'd say Braith is pretty safe.

I don't like everything Anasta says about the club. But he usually tells uncomfortable truths. I do think he cares about the club and I do think he stuck up for the club last night while his colleagues dug the boot in.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Anasta said reports that Barrett was unaware when news first broke about the club’s decision to hold an emergency board meeting shows Barrett didn’t really quit.

“It squashes the ‘I’m going to quit’ thing too because he didn’t even know he was going to get the chop,” Anasta said.

So Anusta won’t believe Baz quit but will believe that Baz was unaware of the sacking despite Hooper claiming the drums were beating at the Canberra game and that Gus spoke to him all weekend
Thats my take out of it too.

Anasta started out fair about the club lostt culture and dna and buying duds, and, being an old boy, it carries weight, and entitled to express an opinion.

Where he stepped over the line was the Pinnochio reference and hand gesture and making out Barrett was knifed in the back by Gould.

That was over the top gossip boy stuff egged on by Kent and Buzzard.

I though it was demeaning by a club ex-player and previous Gus coached player (and player manager) to behave in that manner with that particular issue. I wouldn't be trusting him with my future if I was a player when he gets himself embroiled in personal attacks like that against Mr Rugby League :grinning:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Anasta stood up and defended the club last night while the other talking heads were ranting. He hasn't just dug the boot in indiscriminately. I think he is giving his honest opinions. He's a media commentator....he can't just ignore the Barrett sacking..... and Gus saying what he did a few weeks ago, only for Baz to be gone a few weeks later has given the media plenty of ammo. Of course that is going to be talked about.

Sure, club officials publicly back under fire coaches all the time, but I can't remember any official ever giving such a specific and seemingly unequivocal vote of confidence as Gus gave Baz a few weeks ago.
Things change FGun.
2 weeks is a long time in rugby league :grinning:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Things change FGun.
2 weeks is a long time in rugby league :grinning:
That is true.....but come on, guaranteeing a coach's security in such specific and unequivocal terms is asking for trouble. Gus knew what he was doing. The man thrives on trolling the media....lol

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Gus said just a few weeks ago that Barrett would be at the club long after he is gone. That is much more unequivocal than the usual token vote of confidence from the board. Of course a statement like he made a few weeks ago is going to have the media asking questions.

Not an expert on defamation law, but did study it a little at uni. In order to win a defamation case Gus would a) have to be interested in pursuing one, b) have to demonstrate claims that were made resulted in considerable damage to his reputation. I don't think he gives a toss what the media says and I don't think Anasta's claims have done damage to his reputation, so I'd say Braith is pretty safe.

I don't like everything Anasta says about the club. But he usually tells uncomfortable truths. I do think he cares about the club and I do think he stuck up for the club last night while his colleagues dug the boot in.
of course he wouldnt pursue it lol, im just saying Anasta called him a liar, basically dismissed what Gould had to say, thats not supporting the club. I agree with some of his comments about being fit and getting the dogs of war back tho.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That is true.....but come on, guaranteeing a coach's security in such specific and unequivocal terms is asking for trouble. Gus knew what he was doing. The man thrives on trolling the media....lol
You should know bro!...I reckon Gus was trying to settle the media in the hope of Baz winning against Canberra and the Knights. If those wins happen, baz is still coach. He may of been over the top but he was just trying to give Baz some support

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
of course he wouldnt pursue it lol, im just saying Anasta called him a liar, basically dismissed what Gould had to say, thats not supporting the club. I agree with some of his comments about being fit and getting the dogs of war back tho.
Well, he's a media analyst, mate. He isn't paid to just support everything the club says and not to question or call out certain things. He doesn't just blindly hate on us like his colleagues. I think he has taken a more professional approach and I do think he speaks sincerely when he talks of caring for the club.

In short, I respect his views much more than those of his co-hosts.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I noticed a few drawing comparisons between Bullfrog and Gould, well telling "white lies" was a Bullfrog specialty and he wasn't above dirty tactics to ensure the Bulldogs won out in the end. Like, inviting his contemporaries to lunch while he was off signing Andrew Farrer. Not to mention flooding Belmore Oval so a Wests game would be postponed allowing time for our players to recover from injuries. Or going to Toowoomba and convincing Steve Price's mother that he should pay for us while Steve was absent touring the Broncos facilities. And then there was overruling Warren Ryan and demanding that Terry Lamb play first grade.

There is very little that Gould could possibly do that Bullfrog didn't do decades ago.

Always a Bulldog

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You should know bro!...I reckon Gus was trying to settle the media in the hope of Baz winning against Canberra and the Knights. If those wins happen, baz is still coach. He may of been over the top but he was just trying to give Baz some support
I'm sure he likes Trent and was hoping the vote of confidence would help, but come on, bro. You honestly trying to suggest he doesn't enjoy provoking the media. And as you acknowledge, his comments were a bit over the top. A man with as much experience as Gus doesn't go so overboard by accident.

Holbi49

Waterboy
Reaction score
Anasta flapping his gums to justify his job, about as good a journo as Barrett was a coach. At least Gould has been successful in every facet of the game, with maybe a couple of hiccups over the years.