News ‘He’s not an NRL halfback’: Buzz’s Bulldogs call amid club’s 1-3 start

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sexton was 18th man the other week so must be close , seen he did set up a couple tries on the weekend

We badly need a game manager and he’s the only one we have on our books

Hutch is a toiler but has no vision and is obsessed with getting tackled on the 4th…I doubt CC makes any changes apart from ones forced to by injuries.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hate Buzz all you want but he is correct in this article…HUTCHINSON is not an nrl halfback and if we had a decent half back I think we win on Friday. Ciraldo has to swallow his ego and pla Sexton. we need a game manager and Sexton is the best that we have at the moment. The problem as Anastasia and others alluded on NRL 360 is that there are no quality half backs on the market. But we did have a go at Luai and Moses but couldn’t convince them to come…we needed to offer them overs and GOULD chose not to. But what worries me is that our juniors are at least 2-3 years away from NRL. What do we do in the meantime?
The genius Buzz the Drunk finally worked out that Hutchison isn't a 1/2, BRAVO.
Suggested we should have signed Sezer, WOW.
Didn't acknowledge the reasons why we missed out on
Moses, $1.4 million
Luai, $1.4 million
Hunt, couldn't brake his contract.
Yes I agree on selecting Sexton at 7 or Taaffe.
Johnson, agreed than changed his mind to go back home to NZ.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
After a month of football we still look like a bottom 2 club. Attack is still rubbish and unimproved from last year. They have a lot of work to do. It starts with beating the Roosters this week. I don’t care how great they are, if we’re serious this year about keeping the faith we need to win some fkn games.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The genius Buzz the Drunk finally worked out that Hutchison isn't a 1/2, BRAVO.
Suggested we should have signed Sezer, WOW.
Didn't acknowledge the reasons why we missed out on
Moses, $1.4 million
Luai, $1.4 million
Hunt, couldn't brake his contract.
Yes I agree on selecting Sexton at 7 or Taaffe.
Johnson, agreed than changed his mind to go back home to NZ.

Nooooo of course they weren't the reasons

It's because player agents were disgusted by how we kept on shifting averillo, wakeham, flanagan, lewis, in the halves and now all of those players have gone on to other nrl clubs and been successful halves in their new clubs

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Another Telegraph discourse that rehashes what everybody already knows. More advice that if acted upon would have no significant bearing on results, pick another car instead of the rust bucket, there is one with a oil leak over there! Change would be great but right now the only option besides Hutchinson is Sexton who can also be identified as lacking in speed and is a weaker defender.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only half that was realistically available was Aiden Sezer. Not as if there were Natan Cleary’s on the market. Sezer I’d have liked to go after though

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People acting like Sexton is the next JT. Guy couldn't hold a spot in a shit Titans team and lost out to Tanna bloody Boyd.
I get what people are saying about Hutch but honestly what's Sexton going to do?
There's a reason why he wasn't playing regular first grade and it's to do with his defending. At the back end of matches he turns into a turnstile. Unless he's Preston Campbell where his attacking mastery cancels out his inefficiency in defense then I'd like to see him in first grade but he's just going to cost us more games than win us.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Buzz is stating the obvious. Our attack in the red zone is crap. All of our halves options would struggle to score in a brothel.
Hutchison would get the position right but not be able to get it up.

Doggfather

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sexton isn’t the answer, Hutchinson is a solid defensive player.

Why isn’t anyone criticising Burton?

He has been pathetic. Not one Burton bomb last week and lacks creativity and confidence. He should take public speaking classes and stop being a mouse!

I thought our problem was not having good forwards, now Buzz is attacking our halves. Which one is it Mr Lightyear?

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of deluded angry people Hutch is ok, we missed out on several tries where we crossed line against south’s which shows our attack was not far off. This story is bullshit as usual even the other three 60 journos wouldn’t touch it.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rothfield is such a tired and bitter old man. Let it go man, Gould doesn’t love you anymore hahaha
Maybe, but everything he said is true.

He wasn't criticising for the sake of it. He was telling us the awful truth.
In fact, he sounded like most contributors to the Kennel.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lots of deluded angry people Hutch is ok, we missed out on several tries where we crossed line against south’s which shows our attack was not far off. This story is bullshit as usual even the other three 60 journos wouldn’t touch it.
Hutchison lacks speed. Terry Lamb was slow, but had that rare ability to create a gap for players to run through, then follow them in support.

Hutch obviously hasn't the ability to bring players with him when he breaks through the defence. He tries it all by himself, and is caught almost immediately. There has to be a follower when he makes a play, or we try someone else, like Taaffe.

Our strike weapons in the backs are not getting the ball with room to move.

Speed wins games, and we have plenty of speed in the backs, but our half and hooker are plodders.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It is very very clear that we are waiting for Mitch Woods. Obviously if we could have picked up Johnson, Hunt, Moses or Luai at the right price we would have, but we aren't going to over spend and damage us long term.

Woods has been really good in SG Ball. I anticipate him and Fanafou Seve will be in the starting 17 Round 1 next year.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hutchison lacks speed. Terry Lamb was slow, but had that rare ability to create a gap for players to run through, then follow them in support.

Hutch obviously hasn't the ability to bring players with him when he breaks through the defence. He tries it all by himself, and is caught almost immediately. There has to be a follower when he makes a play, or we try someone else, like Taaffe.

Our strike weapons in the backs are not getting the ball with room to move.

Speed wins games, and we have plenty of speed in the backs, but our half and hooker are plodders.
Our attack is looking so pedestrian that it is likely that CC has put it to bed until they learn his defensive process. They probably don't follow the ball carrier bc they will lose their defensive line...just in case there is a turnover of possession. It's pretty clear wins are secondary to getting CC defence system aok for this year....at least to this point.

Probably why he is consistently letting the 7 take the 6th tackle tells the tactic. He doesn't even have faith the halves can execute a grubber into the ingoal and even if they do, that we can regain possession from the drop out. Trying to cut down opportunities for unbroken play which we are vulnerable in handling...but you can't micro manage everything on a football field. He needs to give them a more expansive gameplan.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely we could have picked up Sezer for not much? Still better than any half we have currently and has loads of experience? Probably would have come for peanuts to come back to the Dogs.
or even better we could have picked up Brad schnidler